• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

roc_

Putin says it's well tested, no one has seen the evidence of proper testing.

He's going to roll it out across his country, which we know has been badly hit by Covid 19 (for all the apparent suppression of information going on in this regard).

He has given it to his own daughter.

Saviour of the world or sociopath?

The Irish Indo spin on it here:

Emily Davison

Last edited:
Last edited:
Great idea for a thread. It’s going to be rolled out in October. I don’t believe a word of it that he let his daughter have the vaccine. Propaganda. If it was true it should be he, not she who takes the vaccine for starters as he is in the at risk age group, whereas she is not.
Reminds me of the mad cow when a U.K. minister made his daughter eat a burger on TV to demonstrate beef was fine.

Edit: It was John Gummer

Sync

It’s as credible on the face of it as that doctor who said demons cause illnesses.
Submit the testing to the WHO, go through the normal channels. Until then I don’t care.
I don’t think he’s a sociopath. He’s trying to maintain order, offering a definite end in sight is a way to do that.

People shouldn’t get upset, people shouldn't be outraged, people shouldn’t get too invested.

Emily Davison

Last edited:
Last edited:
There is a problem if he does begin mass vaccinations without it being fully tried and tested and something going wrong. You’ll have the anti Vaxxer crowd in seventh heaven. They rushed out the swine flue vaccine which resulted in adverse cases of sleep disorder.

roc_

I suspect many "vaccine skeptics" will be getting themselves in a twist over this, as I have noted many of them are also fans of Putin, due to a lot of their media diet having a very similar genesis as this vaccine!

Emily Davison

I suspect many "vaccine skeptics" will be getting themselves in a twist over this, as I have noted many of them are also fans of Putin, due to a lot of their media diet having a very similar genesis as this vaccine!
So an anti vaxxer is offered a vaccine for this that is proven effective and what will they do. Refuse it or take it. If taking it meant you didn't have to wear masks anymore, could go on holidays, live a more normal life. It's amazing how Putin is trying to turn this into the space race. He'll look pretty stupid if he rushes this and it turns out to be either useless or worse damaging.

roc_

Some other interesting context. This study from back in May:

Conclusions. Whereas bots that spread malware and unsolicited content disseminated antivaccine messages, Russian trolls promoted discord. Accounts masquerading as legitimate users create false equivalency, eroding public consensus on vaccination.

Public Health Implications. Directly confronting vaccine skeptics enables bots to legitimize the vaccine debate. More research is needed to determine how best to combat bot-driven content.

recedite

How did the Russian's win this race?
Simples...
In April, Russia enacted a law which eliminated the need for a Phase 3 vaccine trial before approval.
Approval now means the coronavirus vaccine can be distributed even as Phase 3 tests get underway -- though practically speaking, mass-manufactured doses aren't expected to be ready for weeks.
The need for very extensive human trials for a vaccine is debatable when humans are dying in large numbers from a disease.

I don't see anything about the vaccine being compulsory. Why should anti-vaxxers get upset when they can just decline to take it? Some people here are misunderstanding what the anti-vaxxers are about.

Great idea to call it the Sputnik vaccine. Reminiscent of when the Russkies were first to launch a technology into space, and the western powers could not believe they had been beaten to it. Until they actually saw the thing flying past.

Fair play to Putin, a great leader. Well done.

roc_

Great idea to call it the Sputnik vaccine. Reminiscent of when the Russkies were first to launch a technology into space...
I thought it came to be called the Sputnik vaccine after the prominent heavily state-controlled "news" agency of the same name?

roc_

And "compulsion" is nebulous in Putin's Russia, considering the state control of their society's communication channels.

Prester Jim

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

Worked out ok for Gummer

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

roc_

I note though the same institute's Ebola vaccine was safe and immunogenic in different trials. Perhaps they really are onto something.

Prester Jim

I think I'll wait for the first few million subjects who are independently examined. The Russian state doesn't place much value on life.

Orbit v2

There aren't that many people dying from the virus. The potential is far worse with a botched vaccine. So, I guess it's the Russian people who will end up as the stage three trial in this case.

bormotello

stanley

I think I'll wait for the first few million subjects who are independently examined. The Russian state doesn't place much value on life.
It certainly does not value life, citizens are required to lay down their lives for Mother Russia except it is the top 1% who get to decide for what particular cause, this time round its Covid.

In a roundabout way Putin is showing support to Trump through bypassing the WHO, whom Trump has been highly critical of and withdrawn US funding.

Putin wants to dismantle large orgs like Brexit and EU, this could be another political ploy by him, he is nothing if not a devious cant.

recedite

I thought it came to be called the Sputnik vaccine after the prominent heavily state-controlled "news" agency of the same name?
That also harks back to their original publicity coup, which was launching the first satellite.

rainmaker

Administrator
it was under tests since April
Then I am even more wary that they supposedly found an effective vaccine in such a short space of time.

The OD

Its Putin so not worth any further consideration.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom