Vladimir Putin's Russia: Soviet Union lite?

Dame_Enda

Russia is more liberal country that USA and being "Foreign Agent" doesn't mean closing down. For example, Levada is still working and the only difference from before they have to inform on their web site that they are a "foreign agent", so nobody in Russia will take them seriously
Its ridiculous to call them a "Foreign Agent" given that the average Russian who sees those words interprets it as "spy".

bormotello

Its ridiculous to call them a "Foreign Agent" given that the average Russian who sees those words interprets it as "spy".
And how it is different from the USA?

Dame_Enda

And how it is different from the USA?
Because in the US the term only applies to political lobbyists. In Russia it applies to any NGO receiving foreign money. And it ignores one of the central reasons liberal NGOs are turning to foreign money - that Russians who fund them know they will end up in a prison cell or grave given what happened to Khordokovsky and Magnitsky.

bormotello

Remind me how many NGO's have been funded by Magnitsky?
And Russian liberal NGO's have been funded by US since collapse of USSR long way before Putin came to power

Dame_Enda

Remind me how many NGO's have been funded by Magnitsky?
And Russian liberal NGO's have been funded by US since collapse of USSR long way before Putin came to power
True Magnitsky was not a funder. He was a tax advisor for Firestone Duncan.

Dame_Enda

US sources believe the two explosions in Northern Russia were from testing of a nuclear-powered cruise missile.

A spokeswomen for the city of Severodvinsk had said there was a small spike in radiation, but then the statement was removed from website.

Putin's Chernobyl?

Dame_Enda

Euronews reporting that an estimated 60,000 turned up at a protest this weekend and that this was an authorised protest, but that the police arrested hundreds anyway.

tsarbomb

So, why exactly is there a miniature nuclear reactor in this missile? Dies it make it go faster?

Still, I'm saddened to hear the test didn't go well and people have died. The government was a lot more transparent in notifying the public about the accident than in Soviet days.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
That is unexpectedly open and transparent from the Russians. Providing it isn't a holding statement concealing something worse, of course.

But if it does turn out to be a kosher explanation then I'd have to say that it reinforces my opinion that one of the most surprising public affairs developments for me in international politics has been the increasingly adept way Putin and Moscow handle their public affairs these days.

They really do display a certain adroitness these days which would be very much at odds with previous Russian/Soviet regimes.

If they did hack a 2016 Presidential election in the US or not, they certainly sideswiped both the Israelis and Washington with a sudden intervention in Syrian affairs just as the 'west' was off-balance.

Similarly their takeover of the Crimea, whatever your opinion on it, was incredibly efficient in drifting in special forces in small groups to take up key positions on signal, the way they fooled and wrong-footed NATO analysis around the same operation by disguising troop movement was pretty efficient as well.

The first the west knew of it was just after dawn on the day when tourists began posting selfies of themselves with Russian soldiers at public areas in the Crimea on Facebook.

Russian intel, public affairs and news management is now rather sophisticated in my opinion which is a huge generational change.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I wouldn't reasonably expect anything else, given Russia is effectively an organised criminal state, and quite like the US in that their biggest criminals are in corporate boardrooms.

Putin only keeps them from openly running the state by being an intermediary and warning to them to stay focused on business and not on politics. So Moscow is better at organising its oligarchs, whereas in the US it has been since the 1950s a case of corporates making their political marionettes dance for the public.

China is still in charge of its citizens and retains the capability to cut the head off anything that looks snakelike, without too much soul-searching so arguably China is the closest to democracy out of the three UN security members I mention- certainly in representative institutions. Of course there is corruption. But they tend to prevent re-offenders in China by separating the brazenly corrupt into constituent parts. Which does work.

bormotello

Moscow according to Western media
EBUUbCqWwAAopzZ.jpg

stanley

"This, I believe, is Putin’s current modus operandi. He regards what he does as a mirror image of what the west does to Russia and around the world. The irony is that, in burnishing his image as a strongman, he betrays his vulnerability. His paranoia about permitting free elections and his thuggish recent crackdown on pro-democracy protesters are evidence of his weakness. The more he entrenches, the clearer it becomes that he is terrified of losing control – and of the retribution that may follow. He has now created a police state that brooks no dissent, buttressed by a media that glorifies his every word in true Soviet style.

3000.jpg

Vladimir Putin: 20 years in power - in pictures

There is little prospect of an improvement in relations so long as Putin remains in power".

Excellent article on Putin, pretty much nails him.

stanley

You should go back and see the self-respect Putin has restored to Russian people since about 2000 when you were last there. It isn't paradise, but the menu of anti-Kremlin lies served up by corrupt western news organisations is all about protecting intelligence budgets and expanding Nato to open new markets for weapons/aircraft sales.

Another interesting article on the protests and careful planning around them, brave people to walk on the streets as the likelihood of a beating from the riot police is very high.

Dame_Enda

Russia has just announced that a small nuclear reactor was involved in the explosion that killed five scientists during missile tests. Putin's Chernobyl?

Reuters reporting Russia has warned Google not to broadcast 'illegal events' i.e. the protests. The right to protest is supposed to be protected in the Russian constitution but Putin thinks he is above the law.

Last edited:

bormotello

Russia has just announced that a small nuclear reactor was involved in the explosion that killed five scientists during missile tests. Putin's Chernobyl?

Reuters reporting Russia has warned Google not to broadcast 'illegal events' i.e. the protests. The right to protest is supposed to be protected in the Russian constitution but Putin thinks he is above the law.

Do you know the difference between "broadcast" and "advertise"?

Dame_Enda

CNN reporting just now on Russian mercenaries in the Central African Republic. Mentions Lobaye Invest (owned by oligarch Yevgeny Progozhin) has been given mining rights and is providing the mercenaries too in C.A.R. This man is on the US sanctions list. He also owns a radio channel there. State capture?

Last edited:

owedtojoy

Would a nuclear accident that killed 7 people (at least) get such a cavalier treatment in the media if it happened in any other country (well, maybe other than China)?

This is much the same outfit that gave us Chernobyl.

Russia Has Failed Another Nuclear Test
A nuclear-powered missile’s explosion is less important than the government’s failure to tell the whole truth about it

bormotello

Presence of Russian security experts in the Central African Republic hasn't been secret since 2017 at least in Russia
CNN could simply check youtube instead of going to CAR

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies