• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Voices from the Grave

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
what's it about? can't listen to podcasts where i am.

cb1979

A book that was released earlier in the year containing interviews with Brendan Hughes and David Ervine. They recorded interviews as part of the Boston College history project on the proviso that the interviews wouldn't be published until after their deaths.

RTÉ are screening a documentary based on the book and interviews next Tuesday.

cry freedom

In it Hughes states that Jean McConville was a snitch for the crown forces and so the IRA persecution of this family extends beyond two graves.
All I can hope for on this brisk Sunday morning is that the said Mr Hughes gets an long extended swinging in purgatory.

Tomas Mor

And Hughes confirms our very worst fears and suspicions- Gerry Adams was in the IRA and was leader on Bloody Friday when human being were blown to bits running from one car bomb into another !

TradCat

And Hughes confirms our very worst fears and suspicions- Gerry Adams was in the IRA and was leader on Bloody Friday when human being were blown to bits running from one car bomb into another !
Hughes can't confirm anything. I object to thins kind of beyond the grave nonsense. If you have an accusation to make then make it when you can be questioned about it. Otherwise it has to be taken as rubbish no matter who you are.

Just because you are dead doesn't make you an objective witness. If everything I said now was going to be taken as gospel when I died then I'd certainly be tempted to indulge in a bit of agenda setting and score settling.

None of this would be admissible in a court of law for very good reason.

niropiro

Hughes can't confirm anything. I object to thins kind of beyond the grave nonsense. If you have an accusation to make then make it when you can be questioned about it. Otherwise it has to be taken as rubbish no matter who you are.

Just because you are dead doesn't make you an objective witness. If everything I said now was going to be taken as gospel when I died then I'd certainly be tempted to indulge in a bit of agenda setting and score settling.

None of this would be admissible in a court of law for very good reason.
Of course. Of course.
Gerry was just a specky four-eyes who was allowed hang around with the lads because they felt sorry for him - they showed him to pick up women, how to play poker, how to be cool like them but occassionally they told him to go outside and play because they had man-talk to do.
Gerry never had anything to do with the bombing or the shooting or anything bold like that.
Oh no no no.
He was a good boy and he still has his first communion money.
Riiiight.

Talla

Darkie spoke his mind and many years ago what he predicted came true.A sell out by gerry and marty for no gain.Many ex-ra men were disgusted gerry turned up at the funeral.

TradCat

Of course. Of course.
Gerry was just a specky four-eyes who was allowed hang around with the lads because they felt sorry for him - they showed him to pick up women, how to play poker, how to be cool like them but occassionally they told him to go outside and play because they had man-talk to do.
Gerry never had anything to do with the bombing or the shooting or anything bold like that.
Oh no no no.
He was a good boy and he still has his first communion money.
Riiiight.
I'm not offering a defence of Adams. I assume he was in the IRA or as good as. But this shroud-waving adds nothing to the debate. I also accept the finding of the Police Ombudsman that Jean McConnville was not a British Spy. I believe Hughes is lying about that and if we can't believe him on any single point then his whole "dead man talking" shtick is discredited.

This has nothing to do with justice and everything to do with politic. Those who will defend Hughes are often the people who would drag us back into the abyss. That's his legacy. Adams will at least be remembered for playing a role in bringing about peace.

stoichkov

intense stuff, this.

bogtrotter

Darkie was a sick and bitter man before he passed away.....He was not well at all and it was not the real Darkie Hughes.....Shame that a great man like Darkie loses it in an even darker period in his life.. May he rest in peace.....

Simply

Adams will at least be remembered for playing a role in bringing about peace.
Yes.Hughes agreed with the killing of Jean McConville but not her disappearance which was Gerry's fault apparently but he later came to regret killings such as that.Adams showed regret by helping to end the conflict but Brendan was bitter.What exactly is the bitterness about,did he force people to become volunteers,is it his fault the Provos didn't win the war,is it his fault the war involved atrocities,is it his fault he helped end such atrocities ?

Perchance

Darkie was a sick and bitter man before he passed away.....He was not well at all and it was not the real Darkie Hughes.....Shame that a great man like Darkie loses it in an even darker period in his life.. May he rest in peace.....
Why bother with the 'rest in peace' bit at the end, you could hardly mean it after all that ************************e you just said about him.

harryshounds

sounds just like something the bearded-one would say.

Kerrygold

So the dark allowed himself to become a tout from the grave. Whatever his grievances or mental capacity a lot of former comrades of his will never forgive him for that.