• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Volcanic Ash Grounds Flights;Belfast,Dublin,British Airports Affected

controller

I'm flying out of Gatwick this evening.............dream on

Interista

I'm hoping to visit Iceland this summer. Sounds like a fascinating country - geologically the youngest country on earth. And now is the time to go as it's relatively cheap due to the fall in the value of the kroner. I stress the 'relatively' bit though: we're talking about a country where not so long ago people used to come on shopping trips to Ireland because it was so cheap in comparison to Iceland!

Podolski1.5

Heard someone on the radio earlier saying "this is a disgrace". I suppose by the time Pat Kenny comes on they'll be blaming the public sector workers for the ash cloud.

Supermanpolitician

I'm hoping to visit Iceland this summer. Sounds like a fascinating country - geologically the youngest country on earth. And now is the time to go as it's relatively cheap due to the fall in the value of the kroner. I stress the 'relatively' bit though: we're talking about a country where not so long ago people used to come on shopping trips to Ireland because it was so cheap in comparison to Iceland!
Brother was there a few years back and said that you would really want to love geology cause there ain't much else there. He was there a few years back and said it was shockingly expensive but apparently it is cheap as chips now.

Enjoy!

Interista

"Cheap as chips"? Can't imagine that. A friend of mine was there a year ago and remarked on how pricey it was - and he's Scottish. Also, my research on hotels, tours etc leads me to believe it's now about comparable to Ireland in terms of prices, if anything maybe even more expensive.

Supermanpolitician

Slightly off topic.

How many tonnes of CO2 and pollutants are being forced into the air at present?

How does this compare to turning off your lights or changing to CFL bulbs?

Supermanpolitician

"Cheap as chips"? Can't imagine that. A friend of mine was there a year ago and remarked on how pricey it was - and he's Scottish. Also, my research on hotels, tours etc leads me to believe it's now about comparable to Ireland in terms of prices, if anything maybe even more expensive.
Fair enough, I'm only going on apocryphal evidence. I was in Norway about a year after my brother was in Iceland and we got to comparing prices. Similar prices at the time and Norway is darn expensive for everything.

Interista

Yeah - Norway is also on my list of destinations. Have heard that it's pricey even by Scandinavian standards, but managable if you stuff yourself on buffet breakfasts and keep eating out to a minimum.

danger here

I think spirits were only relegalized in Iceland a few years back,I know it was about €15 for crap watery beer!

constitutionus

newstalk just read out a statement on this

basically the WHOLE country is no shutdown , this now has hit every major airport in the country. ryan air on too saying no flights TO us either.

looks like anyone going abroad to europe is fecked

Aindriu

What amazed me was the number of people on the news giving out about it. Would they rather fly into a cloud of abrasive ash and crash out of the sky? This has been done for safety reasons not to mess people around.

constitutionus

meant to say there IS still some transatlantic flights going so were not completly isolated, but scandanavian and european travellers are buggered.

apparently this is an unprecedented event according to the radio.

i just wish there was some pics of the volcano ! :)

kerrynorth

Kerry flights are gone and they are even expecting the Kerry-Dublin flight to be affected later today.

kerrynorth

Suggestion on Pat Kenny that Dublin Airport may close down at 12pm as some of Ireland's Eastern airspace may be closed down as well.

Supermanpolitician

On a more positive note, this must be the biggest volcano in Europe in 30 years and there are no reported fatalities yet.

Popular Threads

Most Replies