• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Volunteers folly ...... selfishish on a horrendous scale ?

jo9jo

Say, for example, you earn €100 per hour in your job and one evening whilst vegging on the couch you decide you want to make the world a better place as you are not fulfilled in your work.

A few weeks later the local parish priest rings you up and says he is looking for some volunteers to roof houses of people living in ghost estates as the rain is getting heavier these evenings.

You agree to volunteer and roof the houses because you always wished to make the world a better place.

Are you making the world a better place ?

Well I think you are a selfish baxterd as you would be better off donating your money to employ a qualified roofer to do the job.

If you volunteer you are preventing a qualified roofer from getting paid for doing such a good job.

The essence here is to donate money and let the professionals do the job.

Most volunteers are not good people.
They are, in fact very selfish as they want to get their picture in the newspaper as a do-gooder and have the craic and meet new people.

Should one donate money instead of volunteering?

What do you think ?

Moneygod

Say, for example, you earn €100 per hour in your job and one evening whilst vegging on the couch you decide you want to make the world a better place as you are not fulfilled in your work.

A few weeks later the local parish priest rings you up and says he is looking for some volunteers to roof houses of people living in ghost estates as the rain is getting heavier these evenings.

You agree to volunteer and roof the houses because you always wished to make the world a better place.

Well I think you are a selfish baxterd as you would be better off donating your money to employ a qualified roofer to do the job.

If you volunteer you are preventing a qualified roofer from getting paid for doing such a good job.

They are, in fact very selfish as they want to get their picture in the newspaper as a do-gooder and have the craic and meet new people.

What do you think ?
Might not be fair to cast them all the one colour but your not far off the mark

Bonsai Experiment

The essence her is th donate money and let the professionals do the job.
I wasn't aware that priests were asking people to help finish ghost estates? Are you making this up?

I hate giving my clothes to charity as it might put a little black child out of work stitching buttons onto indigenous shirts for a dollar day, so he can feed his kid brother and make life a bit more bearable for his AIDS stricken mother. The world is a complicated moral conundrum.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com

What do you think ?
What do I think???
I think you are in for it when Astral sees this OP.

Re: the gist that I could garner from the OP:

I have no problem making a donation, provided it is to a worthy, proper charity, not one where 90% of my donation is spent on administration.

However, I regularly volunteer (one weekend per month) for Habitat for Humanity, and I find that it is much more rewarding, than just sending money to some faceless organization.

nonpartyboy

What do you think ?
Unless it involves a plane ride and a good session, nobody would be interested...........do your seriously think a couple of thousand people over the years would have just handed niall mellon 4k to get the locals to build themselves houses in south afrca.......no chance.

crossman

I think you are seriously wrong. According to RTE last night, the Vincent De Paul has 10,000 volunteers. If they all donated money instead of their time (assuming they could afford it), who would go out and visit families in need to give them friendship and support?

Mountaintop

This OP makes me feel like drilling a hole in the side of my head in the hope that the memory of reading it will leak out...

jo9jo

I wasn't aware that priests were asking people to help finish ghost estates? Are you making this up?

I hate giving my clothes to charity as it might put a little black child out of work stitching buttons onto indigenous shirts for a dollar day, so he can feed his kid brother and make life a bit more bearable for his AIDS stricken mother. The world is a complicated moral conundrum.
I agree with you on donating chlothes to charity.
Do-gooders have no idea what the real consequences are of their charity.
As you mentioned, they are probably putting a local dressmaker out of business.

I think chlothes should be used to fill cavities in old building to act as insulation.

ManOfReason

I think you are seriously wrong. According to RTE last night, the Vincent De Paul has 10,000 volunteers. If they all donated money instead of their time (assuming they could afford it), who would go out and visit families in need to give them friendship and support?
The driver of the 'Dutch Gold' delivery van? :)

junius

You earn €100 an hour in your job????? Where do you work? You lucky bugger!
I did voluntary work because I had no work but in the end it petered out because those I was helping (old folk) were so much better off financially than me that I could no longer afford to put diesel in my car to get myself there and back! However, those with too much money should probably hire those without work to do their 'voluntary' wishes for them. Putting roofs on ghost estates seems like a ludicrous waste of money to me though!!

jo9jo

That's why intention is at least as important as outcome.
Look att he volunteers in your local parish - they are in it for improving their own self esteem.
Ask them to contribute a hours wages in order to pay a carpenter to repair the wooden crib for Christmas and they would refuse.

A school teacher or or retired journalist will volunteer to fix it and they will destroy it but their names will appear in the parish newsletter and they will feel great in themselves.

The crib will be an eyesore.

Paying a local tradesman to fix it would be more in their line.

Public service employees are the biggest offenders in my very humble opinion.

jo9jo

Unless it involves a plane ride and a good session, nobody would be interested...........do your seriously think a couple of thousand people over the years would have just handed niall mellon 4k to get the locals to build themselves houses in south afrca.......no chance.
Cyou have hit the nail on the head there.

neiphin

what an amazing trolling tread

paulp

But they were building houses in places where it's difficult to get labour ..... wait a minute

Fides

Also anyone who does their own gardening, DIY or cooking are outrageously selfish.

Fides

What is the motivation behind such a mean spirited post ?
This is a serious phenomena.
No, it's not. The vast majority of volunteers do it week in week out without any publicity or fancy trips. Most will also give financially but it is a way of giving more back to people less fortunate than themselves. I am an accountant and over the years have given of my time to help keep a number of charities on the straight and narrow. According to your OP I should give them the money so they can pay an accountant to do the work. Apart from the fact I couldn't afford it it's not all about giving I get something back in return. It is good for the soul! Volunteering makes you a better person - and that is good for society.

Kitty O'Shea

I want the job that pays 100E/hr!
Not all charities are able to pay staff so volunteers are essential to ensure things get done.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies