Voting Day… at last…. Rolling updates….

Who would you vote for in the US Presidential Election?

• Hillary Clinton - Democratic

Votes: 71 36.8%
  • Donald Trump - Republican

Votes: 68 35.2%
  • Gary Johnson - Libertarian

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Jill Stein - Green

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • Evan McMullin - Independent

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Other Candidate

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Would not vote

Votes: 7 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NYCKY

After weeks of early voting, voting for the 45th President will be completed on November 8th and it is unfortunate that this year, that it was the last possible date it could be held. Voting day in the US takes place on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November and thus has to be occur between November 2nd and November 8th. The reasons stem from old market practices and ensuring that Catholics wouldn’t be inconvenienced from Church on November 1st, All Saints Day and a holy day of obligation.

The two main parties have nominated candidates of a historic nature, Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton would be the first female elected to the Presidency and the GOP nominee would be the first person elected not to have held either high political office or senior military experience. Additionally, Mr Trump would be the oldest person ever to assume the office and Ms Clinton the second oldest.

There are other minor candidates including, Gary Johnson of the Libertarian party, Gill Stein of the Green Party and Independent Evan McMullin are the main ones. None of these are expected to poll well but combined they could total in the low double digits and possibly have a material impact in places like New Mexico, where Johnson was Governor and Utah where McMullin is showing to be polling well.

There was a time when being Secretary of State was a stepping stone to the Presidency; Six former Secretaries of State went on to become President but five of them were among the first eight Presidents. The last time one of them became President was 160 years ago when James Buchanan became the 15th President in 1857. That said, there has never been a female nominee at the top of a major party ticket.

Donald Trump has run an unorthodox campaign, underestimated from the beginning and despite spending less, having a seriously limited ground game, scant media support, several self imposed gaffes and little establishment support, he defied the odds and emerged from a crowded field to become the GOP nominee.

The race has been contentious, to put it mildly with wilder than usual swings in the polls. Most polls show Hillary Clinton with a modest but persistent lead, but in many of the polls Donald Trump remains within the margin of error.

Polling will open in the tiny Hamlet of Dixville Notch in New Hampshire at midnight. From there the polls open at various times across the states.

US election 2016: Hour-by-hour guide to the night - BBC News

US election 2016: All you need to know - BBC News

Last edited:

hiding behind a poster

First update: In America, it's not actually polling day yet..... :lol:

valamhic

The New York Times gives Hillary ahead slightly. However, their polls don't include the LA Times poll which has had Trump consistently ahead always. However no one ever won an election without average polls in the final days showing them ahead. Reagan got a boost in the final days. Trump has not got that boost. On that basis Hillary will win. General expectation is that she will win. I am for Trump, but I am not hopeful. I can count. Pity

Dame_Enda

After weeks of early voting, voting for the 45th President will be completed on November 8th and it is unfortunate that this year, that it was the last possible date it could be held. Voting day in the US takes place on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November and thus has to be occur between November 2nd and November 8th. The reasons stem from old market practices and ensuring that Catholics wouldn’t be inconvenienced from Church on November 1st, All Saints Day and a holy day of obligation.

The two main parties have nominated candidates of a historic nature, Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton would be the first female elected to the Presidency and the GOP nominee would be the first person elected not to have held either high political office or senior military experience. Additionally, Mr Trump would be the oldest person ever to assume the office and Ms Clinton the second oldest.

There are other minor candidates including, Gary Johnson of the Libertarian party, Gill Stein of the Green Party and Independent Evan McMullin are the main ones. None of these are expected to poll well but combined they could total in the low double digits and possibly have a material impact in places like New Mexico, where Johnson was Governor and Utah where McMullin is showing to be polling well.

There was a time when being Secretary of State was a stepping stone to the Presidency; Six former Secretaries of State went on to become President but five of them were among the first eight Presidents. The last time one of them became President was 160 years ago when James Buchanan became the 15th President in 1857. That said, there has never been a female nominee at the top of a major party ticket.

Donald Trump has run an unorthodox campaign, underestimated from the beginning and despite spending less, having a seriously limited ground game, scant media support, several self imposed gaffes and little establishment support, he defied the odds and emerged from a crowded field to become the GOP nominee.

The race has been contentious, to put it mildly with wilder than usual swings in the polls. Most polls show Hillary Clinton with a modest but persistent lead, but in many of the polls Donald Trump remains within the margin of error.

Polling will open in the tiny Hamlet of Dixville Notch in New Hampshire at midnight. From there the polls open at various times across the states.

US election 2016: Hour-by-hour guide to the night - BBC News

US election 2016: All you need to know - BBC News[/urll
Interestingly since you mention it, James Buchannan is consistently listed as one of the worst - if not the worst - American president. He failed to stop the Southern states seceding. In fact he didn't lift a finger to stop them doing so, and by the time Lincoln was inaugurated after him, South Carolina and Mississippi had already left. A bad omen for those who go from SoS into the Presidency.

As a LGBT person I also find him historically interesting as a probably gay president. Andrew Jackson called him "Aunt Fancy".

Voluntary

Electorate profiles:

Clinton:
woman,< 30 year old, afro-american, income < 50k, higher education

Trump:
man, over 65 year old, white race, income 50-100k, basic education

Dame_Enda

The Black electorate in early voting is lower as a percentage than before at least in NC.

Will be interesting to see if the electorate has grown more White as that would be encouraging for Republicans longterm given voting trends.

ruserious

I remember on the night of Brexit, I decided to go to sleep rather stay up all night to watch the results because I said to myself that the world doesn't tend to change that radically. How wrong was I. I do expect Clinton to cross the line, but a small
part of me doesn't rule out Trump neither.

GDPR

I remember on the night of Brexit, I decided to go to sleep rather stay up all night to watch the results because I said to myself that the world doesn't tend to change that radically. How wrong was I. I do expect Clinton to cross the line, but a small
part of me doesn't rule out Trump neither.
Sleep is far more important or else go to bed real early to be up early.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Why are some Irish people / posters so seemingly emotionally attached to an election between people who know nothing of them, and even if they did, couldn't possibly care less about them?

ruserious

Sleep is far more important or else go to bed real early to be up early.
I have to be getting up at 4am anyway so think I may go to sleep after the 6.1 and get up again around 10pm.

Dame_Enda

Warning. The Votecstr website does not use exit polling. It attempts to project based on opinion polls. So dont regard it as live results

Henry94.

Why are some Irish people / posters so seemingly emotionally attached to an election between people who know nothing of them, and even if they did, couldn't possibly care less about them?
That's a good question. My Facebook page is filling up with people who are really worried about a Trump win. I have no idea how most of them vote in Ireland as they are not usually political at all. As far as they are concerned the US might be just about to elect the next Hitler. What they want most of all is Michelle Obama to take over and I think they would be happy enough if it happened without an election.

The upshot is that politics is in big trouble and social media amplifies the problem. I don't see any solution either.

President Bartlet

With Trump saying climate change is a hoax I'm hoping that anyone thinking of voting Green will go Dem to stop this nut job

Voluntary

The Black electorate in early voting is lower as a percentage than before at least in NC.

Will be interesting to see if the electorate has grown more White as that would be encouraging for Republicans longterm given voting trends.
Trump needs more WHITE, UN-EDUCATED AND ELDERLY

Henry94.

With Trump saying climate change is a hoax I'm hoping that anyone thinking of voting Green will go Dem to stop this nut job
It's a choice between doing nothing and not doing enough. Hard to get excited about it. But a Trump win could cause a grassroots revolution in the Democrat party. Kick out the Clinton crowd and come up with a really radical agenda.

President Bartlet

It's a choice between doing nothing and not doing enough. Hard to get excited about it. But a Trump win could cause a grassroots revolution in the Democrat party. Kick out the Clinton crowd and come up with a really radical agenda.
I think that will happen with a Hillary win - they will give her one term and then she will be persuaded not to run again in 4 years time - a 1 termer she will be

okibb

I'm thinking there will be a high turnout from both sides a la Brexit.

Can't tell whether the result will be an upset or not, too close to call.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies