• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

Who would you vote for in the US Presidential Election?

• Hillary Clinton - Democratic

Votes: 71 36.8%
  • Donald Trump - Republican

Votes: 68 35.2%
  • Gary Johnson - Libertarian

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Jill Stein - Green

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • Evan McMullin - Independent

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Other Candidate

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Would not vote

Votes: 7 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

D

Deleted member 39930

That might explain a passing interest, but such an emotional attachment?
Not everyone who posts here is from or resides in Ireland - some have a more visceral attachment. Also there are those posters who are agenda driven, and therefore feel they have skin in the game.

Mad as Fish

That might explain a passing interest, but such an emotional attachment?
It's not just on here, there are rabid Trump haters all over the web who's closest experience to setting foot on American soil is probably a trip to McDonalds.

Spanner Island

18 feckin' months this bullsh!t has been going on for...

18 feckin' months!

More than a third of Americans' lives are spent in POTUS election campaigns...

If nothing else America should cop on and change the current crap and tedious system and reduce their campaigns to reasonable lengths...

Who's gonna win?

Clinton imo although there'll be a lot of voters holding their noses voting for her which is understandable enough...

Horrendous campaign with two unappealing candidates.

Rightist

With Trump saying climate change is a hoax I'm hoping that anyone thinking of voting Green will go Dem to stop this nut job
Climate change is not a hoax. Climate change causing by human - It is a hoax.
I know human is powerful but not so.

Henry94.

18 feckin' months this bullsh!t has been going on for...

18 feckin' months!

More than a third of Americans' lives are spent in POTUS election campaigns...

If nothing else America should cop on and change the current crap and tedious system and reduce their campaigns to reasonable lengths...
If every state held it's primaries on the same day it would cut down the time to something approaching sane.

Head Case

Its not as bad as CNN. Some of its more centre right commentators have a sort of schizophrenic atttiude to Trump, abhoring his character but agreeing with him on aspects of immigration control.

More criticism of the Votecastr project here. Basically dont put too much stall in it. Its not counting actual votes but projecting based on opinion polls in certain states.
What I don't get is why they (Sky, BBC, C4 etc.) can't just go after both candidates with some reasonable degree of impartiality? Surely the result of the US election is not going to be swayed by the British media, so why do they bother? Keeping their hand in at spinning perhaps, or maybe they just get carried away like the rest of us.

Rightist

What I don't get is why they (Sky, BBC, C4 etc.) can't just go after both candidates with some reasonable degree of impartiality? Surely the result of the US election is not going to be swayed by the British media, so why do they bother? Keeping their hand in at spinning perhaps, or maybe they just get carried away like the rest of us.
Add Irish media as well....

Dame_Enda

I think PBS/NPR are much fairer to Trump.

Am I being partial if as a TV soccer pundit I opin that Liverpool are a far better side than Leeds? Or might it be that I am stating an objective truth?

Sometimes reporting objective facts could be construed as bias by some parties. We saw this in the last Irish presidential where some commented on the fact that Michael D seemed to be getting an easy ride. So he was. Was this necessarily evidence of bias? Not definitely so. If there is no real dirt on the guy to be found then there is nothing to report and he seems to be profiting from reporting bias. At least it looks like the same thing.

Erudite Caveman

Am I being partial if as TV a soccer pundit I opin that Liverpool are a far better side than Leeds? Or might it be that I am stating an objective truth?

Sometimes reporting objective facts could be construed as bias by some parties. We saw this in the last Irish presidential where some commented on the fact that Michael D seemed to be getting an easy ride. So he was. Was this necessarily evidence of bias? Not definitely so. If there is no real dirt on the guy to be found then there is nothing to report and he seems to be profiting from reporting bias. At least it looks like the same thing.
Some people think that if Barack Obama and Jeffrey Dahmer are running against each other, there is an onus on the media to ensure that neither is portrayed more negatively than the other.

gatsbygirl20

I had a dream last night that Trump won.

I saw him standing on the podium in the winter sunshine at his Inauguration. The long-dead Robert Frost was reading a poem ( confusion with JFK's Inauguration probably)

Henry94.

Am I being partial if as TV a soccer pundit I opin that Liverpool are a far better side than Leeds? Or might it be that I am stating an objective truth?
No soccer pundit ever influenced the outcome of a match so it does not carry the same kind of responsibility. If a soccer pundit consistently made excuses for a failing team and showed a laughable degree of bias then the audience would stop taking them seriously.

Some people think that if Barack Obama and Jeffrey Dahmer are running against each other, there is an onus on the media to ensure that neither is portrayed more negatively than the other.
And portraying them in an equal light would in itself be evidence of bias against the more obvious contender.

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
I had a dream last night that Trump won.

I saw him standing on the podium in the winter sunshine at his Inauguration. The long-dead Robert Frost was reading a poem ( confusion with JFK's Inauguration probably)
Stop eating Cheese before you go to bed Gatsby.....:shock: lol

No soccer pundit ever influenced the outcome of a match so it does not carry the same kind of responsibility. If a soccer pundit consistently made excuses for a failing team and showed a laughable degree of bias then the audience would stop taking them seriously.
Punditry effects betting patterns so it's not just words in the ether.

Me core point, though, is that proper journalism is a search for facts. If the facts ranged against two candidates reflect one of them in a better light than the other than that is not essentially bias. Granted it would manifest itself in a manner which looks identical to bias, but that's the way of things. The Damher/Obama example given above is an extreme illustration of it, but let's talk examples.

Imagine that you are running for office. You have been vetted to the nth degree, and in terms of education, intelligence, private and public favour you are an exemplary candidate. Your finances have always been run impeccably and you have never picked up so much as a parking ticket. In the course of the campaign it emerges that your opponent has in the past knowingly rented out two apartments to travelling prostitutes, even providing them with a mobile phone so that clients can contact them. It further emerges that he was concealing the income from the taxman.

Is it evidence of media bias if they report that while also reporting that your conduct stands up to the most rigorous scrutiny?

Betson

On Sky Sports early days ex Liverpool player Phil Thomson used to commentate in studio on Liverpool games but he was so biased and one sided that they had to take him off Liverpool games due to the number of complaints , Thomson admits this himself and says he could not stop his urge to turn into a supporter while doing Liverpool games and he agreed with Sky's decision.

There are a few political commentators who could have done with been sidelined in this election coverage.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom