• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Voyager Now.

H

And for the closed mind fools who have a total quasi religious cult belief in AGW ponder this one!

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. The bamboozle has captured us. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back."
— Carl Sagan

TonyBird

Yes I am so overcome by a glorified sinclair spectrum launched, alledgedly, by a paronoid cold war USA . Brings a tear to my eye . Not .

FrankSpeaks

A truly magnificent piece of engineering, NASA should be very proud of themselves.

Glucose

What a wonderful example of man's scientific miracles. Carl Sagan, if he had lived, would have been delighted. His books delighted millions. The Cosmos series that he narrated on on TV was brilliant.

NASA - Voyager 2 at 12,000 Days: The Super-Marathon Continues

Then there's those that grovel at the feet of the superstitious!

Voyager is a magnificent Technical achievement but grossly irresponsible.

We have no idea what type of alien species live in the Universe.

Perhaps, they could be nomadic scavengers that pillage resources and then move on to other planets.

We shouldn't be broadcasting our position in Space. Don't even get me started on S.E.T.I.

Human history tells us that the most advanced countries are generally the most violent.

consultant

Perhaps, they could be nomadic scavengers that pillage resources and then move on to other planets.
We shouldn't be broadcasting our position in Space. Don't even get me started on S.E.T.I.

Human history tells us that the most advanced countries are generally the most violent.

Good God, Hi-Aces in space?

You have been watching too many 'Frontline' broadcasts!!

MauriceColgan

Website
www.politicalworld.org

Carl Sagan's quite logical view was if a civilisation survives it's nucleur age then it will be intelligent enough to evolve way beyond our human failings.

Alien Spaceships carrying such beings with the ability to reach earth would be most welcome. Instant conversations to Science would be widespread globally.

A few stubborn fools here would still take a little coaxing though. :)

GDPR

Carl Sagan's quite logical view was if a civilisation survives it's nucleur age then it will be intelligent enough to evolve way beyond our human failings.
I don't think anyone has the right to decide that for the rest of us. We couldnt even get along with each other when it was launched and we still cant' . I think theres were more than a few stoner hippies involved in that idea. A civilisation can be warlike and be advanced. A dictatorship can arise from a nuclear war easily as it could be the only way to restore law and order. And if it works and brings prosperity it can survive. Advanced technology and being peaceful do not necessarily go hand in hand. The good guy doesnt always win like in the movies. We might have human failings but this notion that they wont have alien failings is irresponsible. If they have advanced so much beyond us they could see us the same way we see farm animals. Disposable and sitting on a lot of untapped resources.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.politicalworld.org
I don't think anyone has the right to decide that for the rest of us. We couldnt even get along with each other when it was launched and we still cant' . I think theres were more than a few stoner hippies involved in that idea. A civilisation can be warlike and be advanced. A dictatorship can arise from a nuclear war easily as it could be the only way to restore law and order. And if it works and brings prosperity it can survive. Advanced technology and being peaceful do not necessarily go hand in hand. The good guy doesnt always win like in the movies. We might have human failings but this notion that they wont have alien failings is irresponsible.
You have trouble with logic.

I'm sure a man of CarL Sagan's intelligence would have considered all that.

I love Science fiction. One of the best stories was about an advanced alien force defeated by naked club weilding humans. "Spacetime Task Force" which I read on my 13th birthday 1955. Cant remember the author's name. I'm soooooooooo old.

Glucose

Alien Spaceships carrying such beings with the ability to reach earth would be most welcome. Instant conversations to Science would be widespread globally.

A few stubborn fools here would still take a little coaxing though. :)

What if alien life is like the borg in Star Trek.

They would assimilate us into the collective and then move on to the next civilisation

Glucose

I don't think anyone has the right to decide that for the rest of us. We couldnt even get along with each other when it was launched and we still cant' . I think theres were more than a few stoner hippies involved in that idea. A civilisation can be warlike and be advanced. A dictatorship can arise from a nuclear war easily as it could be the only way to restore law and order. And if it works and brings prosperity it can survive. Advanced technology and being peaceful do not necessarily go hand in hand. The good guy doesnt always win like in the movies. We might have human failings but this notion that they wont have alien failings is irresponsible. If they have advanced so much beyond us they could see us the same way we see farm animals. Disposable and sitting on a lot of untapped resources.
+1

(to assume a viewpoint other than yours above would be extremely naive)

EvotingMachine0197

Voyager 1 will reach this 12,000-day milestone on July 13, 2010 after traveling more than 22 billion kilometers (14 billion miles). Voyager 1 is currently more than 17 billion kilometers (11 billion miles) from the sun.
22 Billion kilometers. That's 33 years at 62,000 km/h.

If only we had a euro for every kilometer .....

MauriceColgan

Website
www.politicalworld.org
What if alien life is like the borg in Star Trek.

They would assimilate us into the collective and then move on to the next civilisation
Science fiction is fun.

It helps expand our imagination and cautions us against our own narrow perceptions.

That's why Cosmologists are so important and the best of them, like Carl Sagan, so level headed.

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda belongs on the Judge Judy show. :)

Glucose

Science fiction is fun.

It helps expand our imagination and cautions us against our own narrow perceptions.

That's why Cosmologists are so important and the best of them, like Carl Sagan, so level headed.

Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda belongs on the Judge Judy show. :)
Have you ever heard of the Spanish conquests of South American civilisations.

Apply that to space now.

Why do you make the assumption that alien life would look on us favourable and not as pathetic beings who need to be eradicated and their resources consumed.

Hopefully, aliens will be friendly but to assume that they would be peace loving technology swapping St. francis of Assisi types is reckless & naive.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
You have trouble with logic.

I'm sure a man of CarL Sagan's intelligence would have considered all that.

I love Science fiction. One of the best stories was about an advanced alien force defeated by naked club weilding humans. "Spacetime Task Force" which I read on my 13th birthday 1955. Cant remember the author's name. I'm soooooooooo old.
Maurice I recently read Heinlein's "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel".
Wonderful stuff, especially as I have befriended the New Horizons probe on Facebook. It's going to Pluto, as did the hero of the book.
I'll stick it in the post if you want, or drop it off in Dublin in about a fortnight.

Asparagus

So we should up oil and gas production and usage to actively disincentivise any impending alien attack?
Or maybe Conor Lenihan will give all our natural resources to them for free.

As for aliens - it is likely that a prime motivation for interstellar travel would be colonisation as they will more than likely exhausted their own natural resources. Would they be peaceful if confronted with a planet already overstocked? With the fate of your species on the line would you. (green humanhaters need not answer).

Of course there are some who theorise that the vanguard is already here in secret - there are others than claim they are here with the tacit permissison of the world leaders engaged in diplomatic matters...

http://www.politics.ie/foreign-affairs/129215-russian-politician-met-aliens-moscow.html

http://www.politics.ie/current-affairs/129658-former-legislator-makes-statement-un-released-eisenhower-brief.html

As Kent Brockman would say
"And I for one welcome our new insect overlords"

MauriceColgan

Website
www.politicalworld.org
Have you ever heard of the Spanish conquests of South American civilisations.

Apply that to space now.

Why do you make the assumption that alien life would look on us favourable and not as pathetic beings who need to be eradicated and their resources consumed.

Hopefully, aliens will be friendly but to assume that they would be peace loving technology swapping St. francis of Assisi types is reckless & naive.
Have you not seen, "The Day The Earth Stood Still" back then a writer envisaged a highly intelligent Alien. Far too intelligent for the earthlings of the time 1956?

Francis of Assisi believed in a warlike ferocious merciless being. Dreamt up by very primitive human minds.

Dolores Hart starred in the St Francis of Assisi, movie. See her on my blog below. :)

Reckless? Always have been. Naive? We all were, but some of us looked to the stars.