Wage Workers: The Sexual Organs of the Machine World

Cael

I, of course, shift the meaning of Marshall McLuhan's famous claim, in his book, Understanding Media, that humanity has become the sex organs of the machine world. I shift the meaning, because McLuhan, in simply refering to the whole human race, misses an essential point, i.e. that the process does have human origin and is for the benefit of certain humans - it's not some inevitable evolution of a machine species.

No, its about a small sociopathic ruling oligarchy and the instrumental attitude they take to the whole of nature. All of nature is subjected to their sick ego propping. Machinary has a serious drawback, as Marx pointed out, i.e. it cannot generate profit by itself. It needs the input of human labour. But, humans can be troublesome. They can make demands, and even try to put their own welfare before the profitability of machinary. Some of them even imagine that they are breeding children for purposes other than adding profitibility to the machinary of the capitalists.

And so, the ruling elite must make humanity forget its humanity, and reduce everything to information - and not even information based on ten fingers, but information to the base two - computer speak. Our brains are now spoken of as if it were a mere machine running on digital information (ignoring, of course, the ridiculousness of this proposition), sexual reproduction is being machine-ised all the time, and experiments with cloning have worked to deny the very sacredness of human life - by combining our genes with the genes of mice. A mice race to run the machines - a capitalist wet dream if there ever was one.

Is it not time to put a stop to the horror?

splashy

I'm not sure what to say, Cael. This is a little unwieldy even for you. I agree with you in opposing the mice-men, though.

Baddaddy

I, of course, shift the meaning of Marshall McLuhan's famous claim, in his book, Understanding Media, that humanity has become the sex organs of the machine world. I shift the meaning, because McLuhan, in simply refering to the whole human race, misses an essential point, i.e. that the process does have human origin and is for the benefit of certain humans - it's not some inevitable evolution of a machine species.

No, its about a small sociopathic ruling oligarchy and the instrumental attitude they take to the whole of nature. All of nature is subjected to their sick ego propping. Machinary has a serious drawback, as Marx pointed out, i.e. it cannot generate profit by itself. It needs the input of human labour. But, humans can be troublesome. They can make demands, and even try to put their own welfare before the profitability of machinary. Some of them even imagine that they are breeding children for purposes other than adding profitibility to the machinary of the capitalists.

And so, the ruling elite must make humanity forget its humanity, and reduce everything to information - and not even information based on ten fingers, but information to the base two - computer speak. Our brains are now spoken of as if it were a mere machine running on digital information (ignoring, of course, the ridiculousness of this proposition), sexual reproduction is being machine-ised all the time, and experiments with cloning have worked to deny the very sacredness of human life - by combining our genes with the genes of mice. A mice race to run the machines - a capitalist wet dream if there ever was one.

Is it not time to put a stop to the horror?
Say he on the internet...

:lol:

Cael

I say let's give the mice-men a chance.
You might be seeing them sooner than you think. And, of course, the ruling class will be breeding designer babies to rule over the mice men. Though, of course, the bourgeois uneducational system reduces most people to mice already, without any genetic modification needed.

Cael

Its pretty typical of Paddy to try and make a joke of anything that he finds disturbing and a little difficult to understand.

YoungLiberal

You might be seeing them sooner than you think. And, of course, the ruling class will be breeding designer babies to rule over the mice men. Though, of course, the bourgeois uneducational system reduces most people to mice already, without any genetic modification needed.
:lol:

YoungLiberal

Its pretty typical of Paddy to try and make a joke of anything that he finds disturbing and a little difficult to understand.
Will the mice-men be similar? Or what's the update on their sense of humour (or lack thereof).

Cael

This is a very interesting lecture on the folly of trying to reduce everything to digital information:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a_h2Jw7g00]YouTube - Gregory Chaitin Lecture Lisbon University 2004 (1) (MATHEMATICS & PHILOSOPHY LECTURES)[/ame]

eoghanacht

Here's a little truth

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8ZH1ejtIFo"]YouTube - Capitalism Hits the Fan: A Lecture on the Economic Meltdown - Preview[/ame]

Baddaddy

With exception, I find it extremely arrogant of you to belittle people, in the guise of a saviour, and additionally using Jesus Christ on your avatar, to propell your lies.

If you want to call us "Paddy", why don't you align yourself to some other right wing movement, that exterminated.

You are a simpleton, who insist's on using my Lord Jesus, as part of your plan, well I have a very good relationship with Jesus, and I know, in my heart, that he'd not be happy with you.

Beneath contempt... that's where you are.

eoghanacht

With exception, I find it extremely arrogant of you to belittle people, in the guise of a saviour, and additionally using Jesus Christ on your avatar, to propell your lies.

If you want to call us "Paddy", why don't you align yourself to some other right wing movement, that exterminated.

You are a simpleton, who insist's on using my Lord Jesus, as part of your plan, well I have a very good relationship with Jesus, and I know, in my heart, that he'd not be happy with you.

Beneath contempt... that's where you are.
I would argue that anyone claiming to have kowledge of what would make Jesus happy is a simpleton.

TonyBird

" Mice ? I'll tell you about mice . Mice are just faggot rats "

One for all the Stewart lee fans ;)

splashy

To paraphrase Emma Goldman; if I can't joke, it's not my revolution.

I'll watch these videos at a more reasonable hour.

Cael

To paraphrase Emma Goldman; if I can't joke, it's not my revolution.

I'll watch these videos at a more reasonable hour.
Nobody likes a joke more than me, but some people use jokes to put a stop to discussion of uncomfortable subjects. That is particularly prevalent in Ireland.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies