Wake up & smell the Coffee - Bewleys Cafe is gone!

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com
Yes folks one of Dublin's most famous cultural icons is Gone!

Bewleys Café in Grafton St will not be reopening after all this is over.

1588809029250.png

I for one will be sad to see it go as I have many fond memories of eating and drinking in there.

I feel sorry for the staff too - though I have noticed in recent years that the numbers of Irish employed there continued to decline.

It certainly did not have the same character as it did in previous years.

To me the turning point was when they took the coffee machines out of the display windows

- & you could no longer smell the coffee as you floated by the door.... 👣

God alone knows what will happen to it now

- another bloody Starbucks?:confused:

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Twice in my life I've tried to drink starbucks coffee and been appalled by what they are getting away with selling as coffee. I like coffee houses, always liked the idea of them from when they sprung up across the continent in the 18th century.

I don't know how anyone can drink it. I know this is highly subjective but I think they've been taking the piss more or less by selling piss for a long time. I just don't get why starbucks appears to draw crowds. It is mystifying. Compared with another chain (even Costa) but certainly when compared with Caffe Nero their basic product is just watery muck.

Apart from all that there is the corporate half-SKTR Boy image the brand tries to present which is uncannily like wincing as the proverbial uncle drunk at a wedding takes to the dancefloor to show the moves that made him what he is today...

I've tried. Out of mere curiosity and an effort to understand how they are making so much money and I can tell you this much and will hold to it, that it isn't the stunning quality of their basic product. Are they putting some kind of addictive additive in it or what. It doesn't even taste reminiscent of coffee to my mind.

I've had much better out of feckin' machines in offices.

Ardillaun

Twice in my life I've tried to drink starbucks coffee and been appalled by what they are getting away with selling as coffee. I like coffee houses, always liked the idea of them from when they sprung up across the continent in the 18th century.

I don't know how anyone can drink it. I know this is highly subjective but I think they've been taking the piss more or less by selling piss for a long time. I just don't get why starbucks appears to draw crowds. It is mystifying. Compared with another chain (even Costa) but certainly when compared with Caffe Nero their basic product is just watery muck.
Plus the stuff is sold boiling and in huge flimsy cups that I can barely get over to the table. Bear in mind that in rural Canada Starbucks would be at the posh end of what me might aspire to if we get above ourselves - pure luxury. Generally, I find North Americans prefer a more bitter blend of coffee than I like.

I suppose all companies come and go but that coffee smell of Bewley’s was something special when I first visited as a child. It was an exotic paradise in there. Mind you, things were grim enough outside back in the day.

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Yes, pity about the quality establishments. I think if I go at all I tend to lean toward the Nero end because they actually have decent coffee and make some effort about their premises and comfort.

A good coffee house should be a sure fire winner but perhaps Bewleys found it difficult in a market that really is heavily saturated with coffee chains and they may well have been paying an extraordinarily high commercial rent as well. Probably operating in a market with very thin margins now.

I imagine there will be many a heart tug at the news when you consider all of the dates that met each other there just in case the other was a raging lunatic who foamed at the mouth if within three metres of a bar or something. Handy meeting spot. Bit of aromatherapy to boot for free too I'd have to agree.

Ardillaun

A good coffee house should be a sure fire winner but perhaps Bewleys found it difficult in a market that really is heavily saturated with coffee chains and they may well have been paying an extraordinarily high commercial rent as well. Probably operating in a market with very thin margins now.
It’s hard to see Grafton St. sustaining crazy high rents in an age of online business.

If I ever make it back to Dublin, where should I go for coffee?

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Anywhere North African, would be my suggestion.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The auld African and Arabic lads know their coffee and like it strong.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It is to be regretted, of course, that the Yemen scores so highly on the index of places no-one would care very much about if it were nuked but that's the way the cookie appears to have crumbled.

Emily Davison

Yes folks one of Dublin's most famous cultural icons is Gone!

Bewleys Café in Grafton St will not be reopening after all this is over.

View attachment 24518

I for one will be sad to see it go as I have many fond memories of eating and drinking in there.

I feel sorry for the staff too - though I have noticed in recent years that the numbers of Irish employed there continued to decline.

It certainly did not have the same character as it did in previous years.

To me the turning point was when they took the coffee machines out of the display windows

- & you could no longer smell the coffee as you floated by the door.... 👣

God alone knows what will happen to it now

- another bloody Starbucks?:confused:
Totally agree, when they let the foreigners work there it was all downhill.

Disabled student

It's sad that Brewleys is gone. Used to go there years ago with lovely cuppa of tea which was way better than plastic tea from Starbucks.

Starbucks tea was like sort of watery tea with no taste at all whatsoever.

If I recall correctly before Brewleys was sold to another owner, they used to serve hot meals. Then, Brewleys went into some sort of dive when original owner sold it to another Gecko company whose main interest was profits at the expense of customers interests.

Costa wasn't bad but nero was lot better than plastico Starbucks.

It's the highly saturated coffee markets along with pandemic cov19 will force a lot of small cafes to close it down when the lockdown ends

de valera's' giddy goat

I don't know how anyone can drink it. I know this is highly subjective but I think they've been taking the piss more or less by selling piss for a long time. I just don't get why starbucks appears to draw crowds. It is mystifying.
If you think their coffee is bad wait until you try their tea. It has the flavour of a wet dishcloth.

de valera's' giddy goat

It's sad that Brewleys is gone. Used to go there years ago with lovely cuppa of tea which was way better than plastic tea from Starbucks.

Starbucks tea was like sort of watery tea with no taste at all whatsoever.

If I recall correctly before Brewleys was sold to another owner, they used to serve hot meals. Then, Brewleys went into some sort of dive when original owner sold it to another Gecko company whose main interest was profits at the expense of customers interests.

Costa wasn't bad but nero was lot better than plastico Starbucks.

It's the highly saturated coffee markets along with pandemic cov19 will force a lot of small cafes to close it down when the lockdown ends
Snap :D

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom