Walmart to enter ireland ?

WAL-MART entry into Ireland - new rumours
The perpetual speculation over Wal-Mart's entry into the Irish market has returned, with the Irish paper the Sunday Business Post reporting that the Irish supermarket sector is "set for a shake-up" with Asda considering entry to the sector.
===

Only route would be to buy someone....Superquinn or Dunnes seem the logical ones.

Clanrickard

odie1kanobe said:
The perpetual speculation over Wal-Mart's entry into the Irish market has returned, with the Irish paper the Sunday Business Post reporting that the Irish supermarket sector is "set for a shake-up" with Asda considering entry to the sector.
===

Only route would be to buy someone....Superquinn or Dunnes seem the logical ones.
Wal Mart isn't all it is cracked up to be. They entered Germany but had to pull out under pressure from Aldi and Lidl.

lap yapmi

Clanrickard said:
odie1kanobe said:
===

Wal Mart isn't all it is cracked up to be. They entered Germany but had to pull out under pressure from Aldi and Lidl.

I find that hard to believe The stores are not at all similar. Aldi/Lidl offers a small range of goods in ugly stores. An unpleasant shopping experience, one that I have long avoided.
Walmart offers a vast range of choice, from bicycles to perfumes. Plus their stores are pleasant places.

seabhcan said:
odie1kanobe said:
Both are far more upmarket than Walmart.

Walmart/Asda aim at the Lidl/Aldi market but with lower quality.

I'd like to see Carrefour set up in Ireland.
Think you will find Asda in the 2 years pre Walmart were pretty damm good and still are.

arnold lane said:
Clanrickard said:
odie1kanobe said:
===

I find that hard to believe The stores are not at all similar. Aldi/Lidl offers a small range of goods in ugly stores. An unpleasant shopping experience, one that I have long avoided.
Walmart offers a vast range of choice, from bicycles to perfumes. Plus their stores are pleasant places.
But you are assumming that retailers operate a one size fits all in every market which is not the case as they operated a different model in germany and it was unsuccessful.

lap yapmi

odie1kanobe said:
arnold lane said:
Clanrickard said:
odie1kanobe said:
===

But you are assumming that retailers operate a one size fits all in every market which is not the case as they operated a different model in germany and it was unsuccessful.
OK, I'll stand corrected. It's hard to see why Wal-MArt would change their successful model, but I accept that it could happen.

seabhcan

arnold lane said:
odie1kanobe said:
[quote="arnold lane":9gg4zcdz]
Clanrickard said:
odie1kanobe said:
===

OK, I'll stand corrected. It's hard to see why Wal-MArt would change their successful model, but I accept that it could happen.[/quote:9gg4zcdz]

Well, Walmart would have to offer a different product range - Neither Irish people or Germans would eat the kind of sugary offal on offer in US stores.

lap yapmi

Knock off the gratuitous insults to another nation. What is it about you YES fanatics--what's that strain of anti-Americanism all about?

As to American food not going down well in Ireland, suffice it to mention McDonalds to show how asinine your claim is.

lap yapmi

seabhcan said:
arnold lane said:
Knock off the gratuitous insults to another nation. What is it about you YES fanatics--what's that strain of anti-Americanism all about?

As to American food not going down well in Ireland, suffice it to mention McDonalds to show how asinine your claim is.
Ever eaten a "peep"?

No, and I suspect no Americans have either. I have no idea what it is.

saratoga

seabhcan said:
arnold lane said:
odie1kanobe said:
[quote="arnold lane":2pmrsnbh]
Clanrickard said:
odie1kanobe said:
===

OK, I'll stand corrected. It's hard to see why Wal-MArt would change their successful model, but I accept that it could happen.
Well, Walmart would have to offer a different product range - Neither Irish people or Germans would eat the kind of sugary offal on offer in US stores.[/quote:2pmrsnbh]

Are you joking? We're not exactly adverse to "sugary offal" in this country. I'd love to see Costco here.

FrankSpeaks

I would welcome Walmart in Ireland, competition is good for consumers.

lap yapmi

seabhcan said:
arnold lane said:
seabhcan said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peeps[/url][/quote:3rtt4frq]

They're not popular in the US. I've never heard of them.

Now it is true that some American confectionary is very sweet by our standards. On the other hand, the range of sugar-free and low-salt food is miles ahead of that available in Ireland. Aldi/lidl don't have a clue as regards that part of the market.

FrankSpeaks said:
Agree 100% - Provided they offer real competition and their prices mirrors that in the UK/NI - and not the Tesco/Dunnes version where goods can be up to 150% more expensive in the ROI then in NI

FrankSpeaks

Drogpolitician said:
FrankSpeaks said:
Agree 100% - Provided they offer real competition and their prices mirrors that in the UK/NI - and not the Tesco/Dunnes version where goods can be up to 150% more expensive in the ROI then in NI

My sentiments exactly.

FrankSpeaks said:
Drogpolitician said:
FrankSpeaks said:

My sentiments exactly.
They are not going to set up from scratch and they are not going to offer something radically different from the marketplace as that will be reflected in the value of the retailer they purchase.

Victor Meldrew

odie1kanobe said:
FrankSpeaks said:
They are not going to set up from scratch and they are not going to offer something radically different from the marketplace as that will be reflected in the value of the retailer they purchase.
Competition my A$$. They'll just drive out competition and leave us with less choice. Can we not preserve any element of our identity?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies