Walmart to enter ireland ?

grainne whale

odie1kanobe said:
grainne whale said:
odie1kanobe said:
FutureTaoiseach said:
The more competition the better for bringing down prices. The no vote will encourage more multinationals to come to Ireland because we retain our low corporation-tax regime and this will help buttress the economy against the stormclouds of the construction collapse.
No vote has no impact on whether Multinationals come to Ireland or not.
And now you have it straight from 'he who knows'. :lol:
So do share your insight into the decisions Multi nationals make in deciding investment scenarios.
No, Odie, I just go to whoever sells the product the cheapest. :lol:

grainne whale said:
odie1kanobe said:
[quote="grainne whale":2qx5sy06]
odie1kanobe said:
FutureTaoiseach said:
The more competition the better for bringing down prices. The no vote will encourage more multinationals to come to Ireland because we retain our low corporation-tax regime and this will help buttress the economy against the stormclouds of the construction collapse.
And now you have it straight from 'he who knows'.
So do share your insight into the decisions Multi nationals make in deciding investment scenarios.
No, Odie, I just go to whoever sells the product the cheapest. [/quote:2qx5sy06]

Thanking you highlight you haven't a clue.

bluloa

Get ready for the death of Dunnes and Superquinn!

ASDA are a huge company in their ownright in the UK and that was before wallmart bought themout.

ASDA also develop large out of town sites with petrol stations. They recently bought out the Morrisons stores up North who were previously owned by safeway. In Eniskillen they took over the morrison store then closed it down once the finished building their new store in the town!

ASDA and TESCO will have a massive price war, and this will in put stores like Dunnes into a lot of financial trouble as they simply wont have the financial power to keep up with the ASDA and TESCO.

ASDA will model itself more like TESCO and be nothing like WAL-MART except for the large range of products it will offer. I recently went to Eniskillen and purchased a bagless hoover for £20 from ASDA.

In the UK the only people that shop at Lidl and Aldi are immigrants and Chavs.

ASDA and TESCO and Morrison tend to attract others with Sainsburys attracting high end customers.

ASDA are also spending vast amounts of money in extending its no food ranges such as George which is a clothing range.

In the UK both Tesco and Asda have numerous price wars with each other, with the latest offering customers below cost petrol if they did their weeks grocery shopping at their store.

grainne whale

odie1kanobe said:
grainne whale said:
odie1kanobe said:
[quote="grainne whale":3ahagyv3]
odie1kanobe said:
FutureTaoiseach said:
And now you have it straight from 'he who knows'.
No, Odie, I just go to whoever sells the product the cheapest.
Thanking you highlight you haven't a clue.[/quote:3ahagyv3]
Talking down to people again are we, Odie, quite the contrary in that I do the weekly shop and are far more in touch with what is happening in the retail sector. You are wasted on this foum, you really should be in charge of our economy. 'The best hurlers are always on the ditch.'

IrishConservative

Competition my A$$. They'll just drive out competition and leave us with less choice. Can we not preserve any element of our identity?

Our Identity, ha! what identity. Incase you havent noticed there is very little left of " The Great Irish Republic". We washed our identity down the toilet years ago.

If people want to set up unions in supermarkets they are clearly in the wrong profession. Supermarket staff are as disposable as the goods on the shelves.

Supermanpolitician

WAL-MART entry into Ireland - new rumours
The perpetual speculation over Wal-Mart's entry into the Irish market has returned, with the Irish paper the Sunday Business Post reporting that the Irish supermarket sector is "set for a shake-up" with Asda considering entry to the sector.
===

Only route would be to buy someone....Superquinn or Dunnes seem the logical ones.
Not a particularly nice place to shop but extra competition should be welcomed. If it's just a buy out, then it's their own perrogative.

sandar

Competition my A$$. They'll just drive out competition and leave us with less choice. Can we not preserve any element of our identity?

Our Identity, ha! what identity. Incase you havent noticed there is very little left of " The Great Irish Republic". We washed our identity down the toilet years ago.

If people want to set up unions in supermarkets they are clearly in the wrong profession. Supermarket staff are as disposable as the goods on the shelves.

there wont be many places tesco are driven out of , and lidl and aldi have deep pockets as well, and as for Dunnes, well it was owned by Orish people weho throughtfully registeredt it abroad for tax reasons,.makes no odds to me whether it remains in existence or not

angeorio

Both are far more upmarket than Walmart.

Walmart/Asda aim at the Lidl/Aldi market but with lower quality.

I'd like to see Carrefour set up in Ireland.

Sorry but I disagree, Walmart is a blessing, it has far more quantity and quality then Lidl and Aldi, Iv been to walmart plenty of times and have never had any problem with their products infact I am highly amazed at the quantity of items they have for sale under one roof.
I think it would be great if they came to Ireland, It would be fantastic for struggling families..... Clothes are cheap and great quality, Food is reasonably ok in price and quality, be great to know that you could do all your christmas shop in the same store :)

Boy M5

Both are far more upmarket than Walmart.

Walmart/Asda aim at the Lidl/Aldi market but with lower quality.
Far lower quality. Also the Irish market is too small but competitive with a major international rival Tesco present (Tesco critically has
scale) & Irish the workforce is too unionised for the boys from Bentonville Ak.

I went into a Walmart in Maine 15 years ago & was impressed with service, range, quality & price. 2 years ago I went into one in Fla. It made an Irish pound shop ca. 1988 look like BT in terms of merchandise.

Cassandra Syndrome

Yeah, bring all the multinationals in and lets import everything that was made for a wage of a bowl of rice for a day for the sake of more competition. We can simply borrow money to maintain the necessary income to buy their crap.

Who needs simplified models like this when we have the Celtic Tiger's new millenium extend and pretend, pray and delay borrowing economic miracle.

factual

The people of the six counties have ASDA (green) and Sainsbury (orange). Do you really want that kind of stuff down here?

Old Mr Grouser

there wont be many places tesco are driven out of , and lidl and aldi have deep pockets as well, and as for Dunnes, ...
The only way Asda will come in is by buying out another chain. The Irish market is too small to support another player.

Who knows? Maybe Tesco's would sell out to them. They know that they're not popular, and they have only 119 shops here, with a few more planned.

Sensor

Sainsbury sells quality stuff. Much better than Tesco or lidl. I don't mind them being here. Lot of bad quality stuff is pushed here under the guise of 'cheap'.

Asda in Enniskillen, raking in around £2 million-a-week, was amazingly the chain's sixth most profitable in the world for its owner Wal-Mart.

And it is believed Sainsbury's in Newry may be surpassing the £2 million mark
Border shops benefit from 'euro tourism' bargain boom - Belfast Today

They have no need to open stores in Southern Ireland as long as we keep flocking there.

As the old saying goes, "If you build it, they will come."

The Lighthouse Keeper

Publish disaggregated accounts!

Whatever about new incumbents I think all large retailers trading in Ireland should be obliged to publish a set of accounts for their Irish operations.
I especially would like to see Tesco's and Dunnes levels of profitability. petunia

The only way Asda will come in is by buying out another chain. The Irish market is too small to support another player.

Who knows? Maybe Tesco's would sell out to them. They know that they're not popular, and they have only 119 shops here, with a few more planned.
Why would Tesco sell out to one of their main UK competitors ?

Not a chance in hell.

dent

Whatever about new incumbents I think all large retailers trading in Ireland should be obliged to publish a set of accounts for their Irish operations.
I especially would like to see Tesco's and Dunnes levels of profitability. petunia
Nail on the head. That would bring clarity.

LeDroit

Why would Tesco sell out to one of their main UK competitors ?

Not a chance in hell.
I'd say Dunnes are a prime candidate. They're under ferocious pressure from Aldi/Lidl and have overextended in the land grab 03-07. It wouldn't take much to sell and get back to clothes/household where they can still make money.

Popular Threads

Most Replies