• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Wanna live forever ?

jo9jo

Old age kills people.
Often elderly people let themselves go and deteriorate as they revert to stereotype that old people are slow, decripit, forgetfull.

In the information chain old people are the weakest link.
Due to their deafness they do not hear the message and due to forgetfullness they forget to pass the information on.

A very famous experiment was carried out by the social scientist Ellen Langer in 1979.

A goup of old people were transported back in time to 1959 and were instructed to speak in the presence tense as if they were living in 1959.

The old people became 'younger'

Read the following links :
Aging in Reverse: the Counterclockwise Study | SuperConsciousness Magazine

Counterclockwise, by Ellen Langer | Let's Live Forever!

What do ye think ?

Kai123

That experiment stuck in my mind when i first read it awhile ago.

Many old people put themselves in the position of inability after they quit work. Your body needs extra care but it does not mean it cant function as well as it did when you was 40.

ruserious

The fear of death created religions.

sauntersplash

Pfft old age! I was old when I was young, never did me any harm!

jo9jo

Is getting old and decripit a self fulfilling prophesy ?

clytaemnestra

I am a bit doubtful about all this. It seems like what was perhaps an important but narrow study has been hijacked by the positive-thinking/self-help brigade and transformed into something far more significant than it actually was.

I cannot help thinking that what was happening was that the subjects of the study were not rewinding the clock at all, but instead acting out their lives from a period that they remembered well and with the trappings of which they were more comfortable. I think that as we all get older there are features of contemporary life that bemuse or elude or even scare us, and increasingly so with age. Perhaps when I am seventy or eighty, I will be energised by pretending everything is as it was when I was more engaged with life around me.

b.a. baracus

People who do not know what age they are, i.e. those with severe intellectual disabilities still die when they get old. No amount of positive thinking is going to stop death.

Fall Girl

My nanna always said that you should never tell anyone your age because then they expect you to act it!
We only found her age out because the hospital needed her DOB for a procedure.
A series of unfortunate medical events has left her physically not well but mentally she's on fire.
She always hates people saying things like 'you're looking well/doing well etc.....for your age'.

jo9jo

A lot of older people seem to spend a lot of time sitting beside the fire and waiting patiently for the grim reaper to claim them.

I think this phenomena is very much evident in rural Ireland.

Why ?

Mountaintop

I AM going to live forever...
,,,,for a little while.

Jem8777

A lot of older people seem to spend a lot of time sitting beside the fire and waiting patiently for the grim reaper to claim them.

Why ?
Because the older you get, the more people whom you've loved, befriended and spent your years with die.
And no, you can't go out and make new friends or lovers to replace the ones you've lost.

D

Deleted member 17573

Why ?
Because you've seen too many plays in the Abbey:D

44percent

Why ?
Your skin thins and you get colder quicker. Hence the fire. You reach a point where you have been there and done that. There is nothing new under heaven. It's nicer by the fire with a nice cup of tea.

oggy

Hate thread titles that give me hope !

shutuplaura

That experiment stuck in my mind when i first read it awhile ago.

Many old people put themselves in the position of inability after they quit work. Your body needs extra care but it does not mean it cant function as well as it did when you was 40.
To a point I'd agree. Some people seem to write themselves off once they retire. I actually think my dad is getting a bit like that. Everything is procrastination with him. It drives me nuts.

jo9jo

Some theories are that doing suduko keeps old people agile and mentally fit.

However, the current evidence shows that jogging is an insurance policy against losing mental agility.