Want a job along the border Post Brexit border? No Irish passport holders need apply

automaticforthepeople

I'd have thought this one strange? If you live along the border and hold an Irish passport you aren't wanted when it comes to policing the frontier post Brexit?

I'd have thought that any Irish passport holder refused an interview on the grounds of nationality would be off to seek redress legally?
Good Friday Agreement assures individuals equity before the law and that includes laws regarding employment. Therefore using nationality as a basis to discriminate is contrary to the subsequent 1998 Westminster legislation underpinning GFA.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/only-british-passport-holders-can-apply-for-brexit-border-force-jobs-in-belfast-36810389.html

*EPIC SUCCESS*

I'd have thought this one strange? If you live along the border and hold an Irish passport you aren't wanted when it comes to policing the frontier post Brexit?

I'd have thought that any Irish passport holder refused an interview on the grounds of nationality would be off to seek redress legally?
Good Friday Agreement assures individuals equity before the law and that includes laws regarding employment. Therefore using nationality as a basis to discriminate is contrary to the subsequent 1998 Westminster legislation underpinning GFA.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/only-british-passport-holders-can-apply-for-brexit-border-force-jobs-in-belfast-36810389.html
What and have to live in Louth or Monaghan? What sort of human rights settlement would that bag you?

:lol:

JimmyFoley

I think you're making a very common mistake: overstating the legal importance of the GFA.

Roll_On

At a maximum of £26,000 pa what members of the CNR community are going to apply? They'll have much greater opportunities.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com

think news org are jumping to conculsions https://www.ziprecruiter.com/c/Border-Force/Job/Border-Force-Officer-Belfast/-in-Belfast,GBR?ojob=9c9ac8f73e789f7b4cd8de0329b4e266
passport and allegiance to crown not in ads just in rule 1.46 which says _may_ not https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/536134/civil_service-nationality_rules_20_june__2016.pdf
Dual Nationality
1.46 Candidates with dual nationality are in principle eligible for employment in
the Civil Service provided that they meet the requirements in relation to one of their
nationalities. They may not be eligible, however, for employment in certain reserved
posts where additional nationality requirements are imposed.

Last edited:

Sync

There's no way that will survive court challenge.

GDPR

Total nonsense. You just have to be a British national. If you have entitlement to another citizenship and have exercised it by holding a passport, that doesnt prevent you from applying as long as you have British citizenship too.

Marcos the black

Thought there was going to be no border?

McSlaggart

If you born in the six counties they will have to accept you with an Irish passport....

Couple wins appeal for visa after Derry wife refuses to identify as British

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/couple-wins-appeal-for-visa-after-derry-wife-refuses-to-identify-as-british-1.3288670

raetsel

At a maximum of £26,000 pa what members of the CNR community are going to apply? They'll have much greater opportunities.
The salaries are pretty sh1tty really for anyone with any ambition at all, and there are only 21 low pay jobs in total, but I'd imagine that there could be a legal challenge to this under the terms of the GFA. Whether it would succeed is doubtful, considering the obvious inbuilt prejudices of the British legal system.

Sync

On what grounds?

If you want to work for this agency, you must have a UK passport; how does the GFA trump that?
Because they can legally decide to be dual citizens, but choose to only travel on an Irish passport. You don't need a passport to be a citizen of either country. If it's about nationality, then that's understandable. Linking it to a little piece of paper that isn't a legal requirement for citizenship isn't sustainable.

Clanrickard

Total nonsense. You just have to be a British national. If you have entitlement to another citizenship and have exercised it by holding a passport, that doesnt prevent you from applying as long as you have British citizenship too.
Under the law Irish citizens are treated the same as British citizens in the UK. As Sync says it won't survive a court challenge. There are Irish people in the British military, MI5, the Met and even in the security for the Royal family. Is this border force on a higher security plane? I don't think so.

GDPR

Under the law Irish citizens are treated the same as British citizens in the UK. As Sync says it won't survive a court challenge. There are Irish people in the British military, MI5, the Met and even in the security for the Royal family. Is this border force on a higher security plane? I don't think so.
You can also be a Commonwealth citizen, AFAIK.

ruserious

You're wrong. While Irish only citizens can serve in the British military, there are some posts that are reserved only for British citizens such as intelligence officers. This is for national security reasons. I imagine the same is being done here.

raetsel

You're wrong. While Irish only citizens can serve in the British military, there are some posts that are reserved only for British citizens such as intelligence officers. This is for national security reasons. I imagine the same is being done here.
That would make sense except for the fact that the Border Force salaries being paid are a relative pittance so the jobs are obviously pretty low grade, and if Irish citizens are seen fit, potentially, to rise to the senior ranks in the British military then the paradox is pretty obvious.
The British only stipulation would definitely be classed as indirect religious discrimination by the way, as NI Catholics are much more likely to be 'Irish only' pasport holders, which of course they are legally entitled to be, and indirect discrimination is no more permissible than any other kind.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/discrimination/what-are-the-different-types-of-discrimination/indirect-discrimination/
By the time they finish working their way back from the brink of the Brexit fiasco, there may be no need for a new Border Force anyway.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com

If there's any truth in that (and it's probably a fib), it's a clear breach of the GFA.

JimmyFoley

You're saying that you don't have to be a British citizen to work for MI5?

Popular Threads

Most Replies