Want a trade deal? Sign the Paris climate agreement

statsman

In a very clear message to the Trump 'administration', the EU has signalled that any and all future trade deals with third countries will be dependent on that country signing up to Paris on climate change. As the US is the only country that intends not so doing, well, the message is, as I say, clear.

https://thinkprogress.org/eu-paris-us-decd4aad9145/

This may also be a warning nod to the UK, I suppose, in case they intended some post-Brexit backsliding.

Cue my Ignore list in 5, 5, 3, 2, 1.

hollandia

In a very clear message to the Trump 'administration', the EU has signalled that any and all future trade deals with third countries will be dependent on that country signing up to Paris on climate change. As the US is the only country that intends not so doing, well, the message is, as I say, clear.

This may also be a warning nod to the UK, I suppose, in case they intended some post-Brexit backsliding.

This is your primary reason. The EU will sit back and wait until the USA comes to its senses.

NYCKY

From the link, I loved this bit.

Should ratifying the Paris agreement become an additional prerequisite, TTIP would likely be in jeopardy.
What cloud is the author living on? likely be in jeopardy? It's already dead.

D

Deleted member 17573

It's not an EU policy position - it is the articulation of an aspirational aim by the EU Commission, who are probably not very serious about it anyway.

JamieD

They want to prevent backsliding on a non-binding agreement that all industrial nations are failing to deliver on, and that the UN's own United Nations Environment Programme says won't keep the temperature rise below 2C even with 100% compliance? The Paris Climate Agreement wasn't fit for purpose on day one.

I'm sure this clear message to the Trump administration will have him shaking in his boots, as if he cares about the European Commission, or if anyone does anywhere outside of the EU. Trump was dead right to pull out of the agreement even just because it was never approved by the U.S. Senate. It has all the hallmarks of a treaty it just isn't called one (with the goal of getting around the U.S. Senate) while it commits the U.S. to transferring billions of dollars outside of the country and potentially damaging its own economy.

Climate Change won't be solved by a bunch of suits gathering for PR photographs and making non-binding pledges in Paris, before they get back on their private planes and needlessly add more CO2 to the atmosphere.

wombat

It's not an EU policy position - it is the articulation of an aspirational aim by the EU Commission, who are probably not very serious about it anyway.
Every now and then, govts have to remind the EU commission as to who calls the shots and trade remains the main purpose of the EU.

Analyzer

mmmmmmmm.

Victoria Nuland was correct.

FU(K The EU.

Analyzer

This is your primary reason. The EU will sit back and wait until the USA comes to its senses.
Anybody waiting for the EU to come to it's senses, will be waiting a very long time.

valamhic

Paris climate deal is nothing more than a communist plot to allow China pollute as much as they like while the rest of the developed world is constrained. Economic madness

Dame_Enda

He has said he will consider going back into it with changes.

valamhic

He has said he will consider going back into it with changes.
Yes, when it changes to stop ripping off the US and driving out jobs. China won't agree to that. It like me offering to give you my car if you give me your house.

McTell

Twitter
No
Trump is only there for a few years. By the time the US is "back on course", India and China still won't have to cut emissions like we must.

If it's of world importance, then all get on board together at the same time.

In the meantime, a lot of US states are Paris-compliant, even Texas has huge wind farms.

valamhic

Trump is only there for a few years. By the time the US is "back on course", India and China still won't have to cut emissions like we must.

If it's of world importance, then all get on board together at the same time.

In the meantime, a lot of US states are Paris-compliant, even Texas has huge wind farms.
Wind farm result in more emissions, when all is counted, not less

Meanwhile Itally voted

5 Star 31.9% Populist/right
Democratic 19.4% Lefties
Northern League 18.1% Populist right anti imigration
Forza Berlosconi (Bonga Bonga) Centre slightly right 14.4%
Free and equal loonies lib 3.3
9% others

jmcc

Trump is only there for a few years.
Bit of a change from when people thought he wouldn't win. Then with that "few years" attitude being prevalent, he may win a second term if there are any economic gains in the near future.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies