Wanting accountability in government is now....misogyny

Ardillaun

I'm shocked.

Irish Times subeditor allows terrible misuse of the verb "to refute" to slip through the grammar dragnet!
That's the common usage now. You just have to say you didn't do it and you've proved you didn't do it.

Betson

As a woman I must say I was very disappointed to hear her say what she did.

I believe women are subjected to more abuse then men in politics, much more. However it seems to me she is using this in a most cynical manner unfortunately.
It is a card that is played by a lot of female politicians when they are questioned on anything they are uncomfortable with.

Look at Mary Mitchel O'Connor here , I am sure Shane Ross , Mick Wallace etc wish they could play such a card for any criticism they might get.

There was another incident on Sky news a few months back when the UK Labour shadow minister for European affairs went on an interview with Dermot Murhanan and made a show of herself by not knowing the very basics of her portfolio , and instead of just playing it down afterwards by saying I am new in the job etc she went on the attack accusing sky news and their interviewer of misogyny because they asked her a few 'hard' questions , that incident was notable by the amount of other female MP's and journalists criticising her for letting Female MP's down by playing the sexism card when there was clearly no sexism.

As for your belief that female politician are subject to more abuse , it is just not true, they might make a much bigger issue of it when they criticised but they do not suffer more of it.

It is like online abuse ,woman complain about it a lot more but male bloggers , twitter users etc get a lot more of it.

cozzy121

Huh? Pray tell what have I done to appear insecure?
Well this whole thread is based upon Ms Fosters MISUSE of a claim of sexual discrimination.
It has nothing to do with the perceived victimhood of some straight white males as you alluded to..

Sadly the IT just lap it up - it fits nicely into their "all white straight men" are evil mantra.
I think this victimhood of some white males is, in fact insecurity by those who view any progress in empowering the truly disenfranchised of society as a diminishing of their own place in society.

Now if you are not feeling threatened then I apologise.

Manstein

Even worse is the Irish Independents defence of Arlene Foster...she is an enemy of Sinn Fein so anything she says or does is fine by us.

Felixness

As a woman I was disgusted at her comments when I saw her on the news. She's a disgrace and an embarrassment. I've never been a fan of positive discrimination. She's really clutching at straws now. I remember when that scheme was announced years back and wondering how in the hell it got the go ahead because it made no sense.

Kommunist

clinton level feminism ere

liberalism ay

greagh

Arlene is on thin ice ,all it will take to finish her is evidence that participation in the scheme was encouraged after the whistleblower revealed the fraud implicit in it.

Nuaman

Sad and pathetic as the Sky news interview was it will play well in her hinterland.

hollandia

Mercurial

She might well be correct.

But she's also incompetent, and should resign.

GDPR

Sure. Which is entirely compatible with her using the claim as a cynical attempt to detract from her incompetence.

Oh its more than incompetence, Merc.

She knowingly misled the House as to what she knew and when about how RHI was being crudely exploited to the tune of a potential one billion stg, and refused to investigate much less close the loop-hole.

They might call that incompetence in the dear old daffy South, but we have another word for it in the North,

New Threads

Most Replies