War of Independence activity nationwide

meriwether

Ive just finished re-reading 'the squad' by Ryle Dwyer, and one of the things that struck me was the paucity (from what I could ascertain) of rebel activity outside of certain areas.
This was an impression I got from other books aswell.

It seems that bar Dublin, Cork, Tipp and Kerry (Cork and Dublin to the forefront) there wasn't an awful lot going on elsewhere (Except of Sean Mac Eoin's outfit).

Is that accurate? What sort of level of insurgence was throughout the country?

fool

The level of activity varied hugely, though even in the most active areas it was far less than all-out war.

The problem with Ryle Dwyer's work is a lack of footnotes, which makes this kind of analysis quite tricky.
If you have access to a decent library try looking up Copies of the Cappucin Annual. Some of the issues from the early seventies gave incredibly detailed descriptions of local activity in the War of Independence, on an almost parish by parish basis.

LowIQ

I came across this article recently about the forces of law and order fought the terrorists. It does not give a complete list but it mentions activities in some areas around Galway too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_Tans

blinding

LowIQ said:
I came across this article recently about the forces of law and order fought the terrorists. It does not give a complete list but it mentions activities in some areas around Galway too.
I believe there was a western brigade concentrated in north galway/south mayo.Was Tom Mcguire the leader.I am happy if better informed people correct me

cferrie

blinding said:
LowIQ said:
I believe there was a western brigade concentrated in north galway/south mayo.Was Tom Mcguire the leader.I am happy if better informed people correct me
Yes but his name was spelt Maguire http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Maguire

blinding

cferrie said:
blinding said:
LowIQ said:
Yes but his name was spelt Maguire http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Maguire
thanks

Rocky

walrusgumble said:
tom barry's guerilla days will give you an indiciation of the level of activity in the rest of the country.

Bar Munster and Dublin, there was not too much large scale activity except in parts of galway, longford (mcEoin) and offaly. A small village in roscommon known as knockrahery (wrong spelling, between athlone and roscommon town) was burnt down in 1921 by the black n tans. in retaliation, a "House" / Manor in moydrum on the athlone side of town was burnt down by flying columns in the coosan area.
In his biography of Eoin O'Duffy Fergal McGarry describes some small level operations that O'Duffy led in Monaghen as well and I’d say if you look hard enough you’d find some activity in most counties except maybe some in Lenister, which except for Dublin seems to have been very quiet.

Bogwarrior

I believe the majority of conflict during the War of Ind. in derry was sectarian related. With hundreds of First World War veterans mobilizing to retake jobs Catholics had acquired during their abscence. This led to many shoot outs in the Bishop Street area with some IRA fatalaties there and an attempt to attack the Catholic Cathedral in the Bogside area, again with many deaths. But the conflict was by no means centred in the South-West or Dublin.
There were acts taking place all over Ireland, Scotland and in England itself.
I've read that one in twenty of RIC personnel were killed, and one in 12 injured during the short period, which would be higher than the U.S casualty rate in Iraq.

ON THE ONE ROAD

theres a book published in the last few years. keep the flag flying, think it's called. refferences alot of activity in the west with empisises on the east mayo brigade and roscoman.

wysiwyg

Deep Throat said:
west waterford certainly saw some action
Yeah.. the part that's so West Waterford.. it's actually Tipperary.. shower of Redmondites, then and now, that's all Waterford ever was

Barbarian

blinding said:
LowIQ said:
General Michael Kilroy was another leading figure in Mayo, Commandant of the 4th Western Battalion. Kilroy was a Fianna Fáil TD from 1927 - 1937
There is a brief synopsis of some of his activities here

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
There was little support and consequently little support for the IRA in Limerick city and environs. It stood to us in the longer term in that we retained most of out CoI population which other communities were decimated.

beardyboy

There was also action in County Antrim, there were three young lads murdered by the tans in Cushendall, one man I know told of how his grandfather lay in the dung pit to escape the English. I have heard stories, but cannot find any proof, of a gun battle in Carnlough were the IRA besieged the Police station which led to its closure - there has not been a police station in Carnlough to this day which was attributed to this action.

Wolverine2

There was little support and consequently little support for the IRA in Limerick city and environs
?

Plenty in East Clare, and a good deal stretched into Limerick. Hell, there was a riot in 1920 between Limerick citizens and the Royal Welsh Fusiliers - not something that would happen if there was no local support for the independence movement.

Bogwarrior

beardyboy said:
There was also action in County Antrim, there were three young lads murdered by the tans in Cushendall, one man I know told of how his grandfather lay in the dung pit to escape the English. I have heard stories, but cannot find any proof, of a gun battle in Carnlough were the IRA besieged the Police station which led to its closure - there has not been a police station in Carnlough to this day which was attributed to this action.
On the other hand, the parental home of former Bishop of Down and Connor, Cathal Daly, up in Loughgiel was used as a billet and safe house for mobile Black and Tan units.

ArtyQueing

Bogwarrior said:
beardyboy said:
On the other hand, the parental home of former Bishop of Down and Connor, Cathal Daly, up in Loughgiel was used as a billet and safe house for mobile Black and Tan units.
And we all know the consequences of that, which helps us to understand the toadying of the hand wringer in the recent attempt of liberation.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies