Was Harney wrong not to appear on The Late Late?

Was Harney wrong not to appear on The Late Late?

• Total voters

Pidge

I'm still not sure of the issue she was running from, but she shouldn't be running - no matter what it is.

drjimryan

Yes she was wrong....

no matter what plank had in store its time to face off the critics....

this is not just about government...hard things must be said...

for example...one story was about a bucket of vomit with muold on it being found in apatients wardrobe?....thats hardly harneys fault?.....sack the nurse on that ward immediately..........

forget about degrees for nurses also..........bring back student nurses....cleaning and scrubbing up from day one....indoctrinate cleaniness...just like the nuns did previously.......give me one benefit of degree educated nurses? it was a unecessary nonsensicle change...........

ward orderlies are by nature less aware and sometimes 'passing thru'

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Mary Mary, quite contrary,

does your popularity grow,

The healths service's a mess,

with problems you refuse to address,

then you run from the Late Late Show

Any FF backbencher with a whit of sense, will go right over the ball on this one, studs up, two feet, and deliver a career ending challenge to Harney. What can she do about it. Walk out of government because she's too scared to face an audience on Pat Kenny. If they lay into her here, it'll stick to her like the heamophilliac scandal did to Noonan, and finish the PD's off next election.

Have they got the sense or the guts ?

Wait and see

Jim84

Pidge said:
I'm still not sure of the issue she was running from, but she shouldn't be running - no matter what it is.
It appears she pulled out of doing the Late Late because they where going to invite ex-patients onto the show.

And I bet these patients aren't too happy with the minister.

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
Even had she gone on, she had tried to extract a guarantee of 'limited' audience participation - presumably that's coward code for no tough questions from the ordinary folks in the cheap seats.

smiffy

Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
Tiger Lily said:
Any politician, particularly a minister, has a duty to face the public and answer questions!
Not really. Ministers have an obligation to answer questions in the Dáil, put to them by elected representatives of the public. There's absolutely no obligation or duty to appear on The Late Late Show, any more than there is to appear on The Den.

Tiger Lily

Maybe not an obligation in the true sense of the word. But I would certainly feel more comfortable if the person running my countries health service felt confident enough to answer questions on it! It doesnt inspire much confidence in her!

Jim84

smiffy said:
Tiger Lily said:
Any politician, particularly a minister, has a duty to face the public and answer questions!
Not really. Ministers have an obligation to answer questions in the Dáil, put to them by elected representatives of the public. There's absolutely no obligation or duty to appear on The Late Late Show, any more than there is to appear on The Den.
Surely Smiffy you agree, that a Minster has a moral duty to answer the concerns of the electorate, no matter if she is on the Den or the Late Late.

smiffy

Website
Jim84 said:
Surely Smiffy you agree, that a Minster has a moral duty to answer the concerns of the electorate no matter if it is the Den or the Late Late.
To an extent, but that's what the Dáil is for (although it doesn't work very well). While I don't have much time for Harney, I'd be very nervous about suggesting that politicians have some sort of obligation to appear on a television programme that is far more interested in setting up a big fight to generate publicity in the coming week than in a sensible and rational discussion of the issues.

Tiger Lily

smiffy said:
Jim84 said:
Surely Smiffy you agree, that a Minster has a moral duty to answer the concerns of the electorate no matter if it is the Den or the Late Late.
To an extent, but that's what the Dáil is for (although it doesn't work very well). While I don't have much time for Harney, I'd be very nervous about suggesting that politicians have some sort of obligation to appear on a television programme that is far more interested in setting up a big fight to generate publicity in the coming week than in a sensible and rational discussion of the issues.
But even at that, surely any discussion is better than none at all!

Jim84

smiffy said:

The few times I've heard Harney talk in the Dáil she has been given monosyllabic answers.

The Late Late supplied an opportunity for Harney to address the misconceptions the Irish people have about the Health Service (her opinion) All the Late Late did was try and find someone who was a patient in the Maher Hospital to refute her claims.

What is so wrong about that?

What would be wrong is if Pat Kenny had the Minister on the show and had nobody disagreeing with her.

Tiger Lily

Jim84 said:
The Late Late supplied an opportunity for Harney to address the misconceptions the Irish people have about the Health Service (her opinion) All the Late Late did was try and find someone who was a patient in the Maher Hospital to refute her claims..
Do we know what her claims were going to be?

Jim84

Tiger Lily said:
Jim84 said:
The Late Late supplied an opportunity for Harney to address the misconceptions the Irish people have about the Health Service (her opinion) All the Late Late did was try and find someone who was a patient in the Maher Hospital to refute her claims..
Do we know what her claims were going to be?
No. It’s been year since she took up the Health portfolio

I'm positive there would have been some sort of discussion on achievements she claims have been made.

smiffy

Website
Jim84 said:
The Late Late supplied an opportunity for Harney to address the misconceptions the Irish people have about the Health Service (her opinion) All the Late Late did was try and find someone who was a patient in the Maher Hospital to refute her claims.

Because it's not going to lead to a very productive discussion. Was the Department of Health going to be given this person's details in advance so the facts of the story could be briefed in advance and Harney briefed on what happened?

It's exactly this kind of approach (i.e. "let's find the worst possible example of someone being let down by the Health Service, and see how she answers that!") which exemplifies everything that's wrong with these Late Late Show 'debates'. Why bother getting into the actual structural problems in the Health Service (that's too boring - people will turn over to Jonathan Ross), when we can have a big fight instead after which nobody will have learned anything but will be covered in the Sunday Independent over the weekend.

Tiger Lily

smiffy said:
It's exactly this kind of approach (i.e. "let's find the worst possible example of someone being let down by the Health Service, and see how she answers that!") which exemplifies everything that's wrong with these Late Late Show 'debates'. Why bother getting into the actual structural problems in the Health Service (that's too boring - people will turn over to Jonathan Ross), when we can have a big fight instead after which nobody will have learned anything but will be covered in the Sunday Independent over the weekend.
So if the same thing hadve happened with questions and answers - it wouldve been a different story?

Jim84

smiffy said:
Jim84 said:

Because it's not going to lead to a very productive discussion. Was the Department of Health going to be given this person's details in advance so the facts of the story could be briefed in advance and Harney briefed on what happened?
She must have known about it because that is the reason she pulled out. I agree that it is not the best forum to discuss the future of our health system, but when the option is No debate and what pathetically passes for debate in this country ... I'll take something rather than nothing.

smiffy

Website
Tiger Lily said:
So if the same thing hadve happened with questions and answers - it wouldve been a different story?
Do you mean if she had pulled out of appearing on Questions and Answers?

Well, there are two reasonably separate issues here. One is whether Ministers should be obliged to 'answer to the public' on something like the Late Late Show. As I said, I'd be very sceptical about the value of this, particularly on that programme where the objective is to create interesting or 'event' television, rather than to have a proper discussion about anything. The same could, possibly, be said about Q&A and some other programmes but they do have a stronger current affairs bias, and I don't think the argument is as strong there. Even then, I don't think any Minister should be obliged to appear on Q&A if asked; on the other hand, if Prime Time, say, were doing a story on something like the Health Service, then the obligation on the Minister (or some Dept. representative) to respond is greater.

On the issue of whether a Minister should be obliged to appear on a show they've already agreed to, based on what I read of this specific situation, I think Harney was probably right (although stupid).

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies