Was Omagh Investigation a Whitewash

Desperate Dan

is that a S & M term? FYI i don't have any masters, now away you go and reply to a three year old comment...
You have the same attitude every time someone criticizes the brits. petunia

J

Johnny Boy

So it's " Brits out " but only after they stop the "Brits out " nutters from blowing people all over the road. I believe that's called cognative dissonance.
What an idiotic post..............
Baroness Nuala O Loan DBE is a "Brit"...................
I often wonder at the disconnect of the tits who post this sort of stuff.................cognative dissonance perhaps?

between the bridges

You have the same attitude every time someone criticizes the brits. petunia
what are you on about ya gormless comic cutout character of a dumb-ass republican, i merely inferred that you, would need a brain the size of a sub atom, to try and blame the police for omagh, instead of those that actually made, and planted the bomb...

Desperate Dan

what are you on about ya gormless comic cutout character of a dumb-ass republican, i merely inferred that you, would need a brain the size of a sub atom, to try and blame the police for omagh, instead of those that actually made, and planted the bomb...
Listen rant and rave, I am not blaming the police or mi5, but there is something rotten about the whole investigation into Omagh.
It is the investigation, stupid. Have you got it now.

between the bridges

Listen rant and rave, I am not blaming the police or mi5, but there is something rotten about the whole investigation into Omagh.
It is the investigation, stupid. Have you got it now.
duh! ''it's the brits fault'' never heard that before, away and chew on your cow pie...

NornIron

If the IRA hadnt built and transported a bomb to Omagh town centre 29 people wouldnt have been murdered. To try and lay the blame on anybody else for this dastardly atrocity is just stupid. Republicans done the damage, so take responsibility for it.

J

Johnny Boy

If the IRA hadnt built and transported a bomb to Omagh town centre 29 people wouldnt have been murdered. To try and lay the blame on anybody else for this dastardly atrocity is just stupid. Republicans done the damage, so take responsibility for it.
The RIRA are completely to blame for planting the bomb. No one disputes that. I'd love to see every last one of the bastards involved, boiled in oil for what they did. Sadly it now seems likely that no one will ever pay for this crime.
However, there is a secondary issue here. The intelligence services are paid by our taxes to protect us, the public, Catholic and Protestant alike, from these criminals. They knew about Omagh in advance yet failed to stop it happening. They are, or should be, accountable to us. As someone directly affected by Omagh, admittedly in a very minor way only, thankfully, I'd like to know why they failed. I don't think that is unreasonable.

C

Castle Ray

The RIRA are completely to blame for planting the bomb. No one disputes that. I'd love to see every last one of the bastards involved, boiled in oil for what they did. Sadly it now seems likely that no one will ever pay for this crime.
However, there is a secondary issue here. The intelligence services are paid by our taxes to protect us, the public, Catholic and Protestant alike, from these criminals. They knew about Omagh in advance yet failed to stop it happening. They are, or should be, accountable to us. As someone directly affected by Omagh, admittedly in a very minor way only, thankfully, I'd like to know why they failed. I don't think that is unreasonable.
It is a reasonable and right position for all citizens to hold.

The problem arises when some seek political capital by diverting blame from the perpetrators or questioning the security services with an alternative motive from improving future security or holding them accountable.

J

Johnny Boy

It is a reasonable and right position for all citizens to hold.

The problem arises when some seek political capital by diverting blame from the perpetrators or questioning the security services with an alternative motive from improving future security or holding them accountable.
Some pathologically biased people obviously do but I don't see any evidence of that in the opening post to be honest. Unfortunately the only pathologically biased people contributing to this thread seem to be idiots ever-willing to identify anti-British motives where they don't exist. Post 3 is a classic of the genre.

Ifor Bach

Website
golang.pl
Some pathologically biased people obviously do but I don't see any evidence of that in the opening post to be honest. Unfortunately the only pathologically biased people contributing to this thread seem to be idiots ever-willing to identify anti-British motives where they don't exist. Post 3 is a classic of the genre.
Terrorists are monitored by the intelligence services.

The intelligence services do not have quasi-magical powers, and are subject to human error.

J

Johnny Boy

Terrorists are monitored by the intelligence services.

The intelligence services do not have quasi-magical powers, and are subject to human error.
All true of course. However if someone makes a serious mistake in any job, it is not unreasonable to expect that person to be punished and we have no evidence that anyone was.
But anyway it hasn't even been proven that it was a mistake. The intelligence services have a track record of playing fast and loose with people's lives, and have in the past chosen not to intervene to prevent serious crimes, in order to protect a source.

Ifor Bach

Website
golang.pl
The intelligence services have a track record of playing fast and loose with people's lives, and have in the past chosen not to intervene to prevent serious crimes, in order to protect a source.
They have a duty to protect their sources. They have difficult choices to make. And sometimes they make the wrong call.

Desperate Dan

All true of course. However if someone makes a serious mistake in any job, it is not unreasonable to expect that person to be punished and we have no evidence that anyone was.
But anyway it hasn't even been proven that it was a mistake. The intelligence services have a track record of playing fast and loose with people's lives, and have in the past chosen not to intervene to prevent serious crimes, in order to protect a source.
As in the last young British soldier to die by a sniper. The sniper was allowed to carry out his attack, by the brits to protect an informer.

Ifor Bach

Website
golang.pl
The intelligence services have a track record of playing fast and loose with people's lives, and have in the past chosen not to intervene to prevent serious crimes, in order to protect a source.
Scappaticci was allowed to murder literally scores of people. Yet Republicans never ask for his activities to be investigated.

C

Castle Ray

With the "in the interests of national security" decisions, accountability is hard to pursue with the intelligence services. Protecting a source could save thousands of lives at the expense of taking the risk a single terrorist attack might succeed in murdering one person. It's a tough call and a dirty business no doubt about it.

J

Johnny Boy

Scappaticci was allowed to murder literally scores of people. Yet Republicans never ask for his activities to be investigated.
And what has that to do with me? I'd love to know the truth about him. We never will though. The British and SF will jointly make certain of that.

NornIron

Yes intelligence and security forces are there to protect us but if an individual or group is determined enough to carry out a bomb or gun attack it'll happen, the forces of law and order cant be there all the time. If that was the case then we wouldnt have had Enniskillen, Shankill, La Mon and all the other bombing that preceded the Omagh atrocity. In saying that though they did prevent a lot of other potential atrocities from happening during the conflict but as I said they sadly cant be there all the time, thats something that applies to every country in this world too and not just Northern Ireland.

Nobody being lifted and jailed for Omagh is another failing on the part of the security forces but again its something we have to live with.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies