• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Was Richard Bruton used as a 'stalking horse'?

Jesus Wept

This is the method much loved by the English Tories when they want to depose a leader. Not so common in Irish politics. But the question does arise in relation the the recent farcical attempted coup in FG: was Bruton (unkown to himself) used by certain wilier Blueshirts with leadership ambitions of their own as a stalking horse? It's quite clear that Bruton's long-term leadership ambitions have been damaged (probably irreparably) by this fiasco: will the real contender emerge in the coming months?

LeDroit

'Wilier Blueshirts'! LOL!

There's no one in FG worthy of leadership. Look at them. Kenny became leader for God's sake, that should be enough evidence.

Jesus Wept

'Wilier Blueshirts'! LOL!

There's no one in FG worthy of leadership. Look at them. Kenny became leader for God's sake, that should be enough evidence.
It strikes me that at least two of the so-called young bloods (Coveney and Varadkar) may have leadership potential. Interestingly, they both openly admit to leadership ambitions. More interestingly, they both played central roles in the abortive coup.

TommyO'Brien

And the winner of the silliest thread of the day is . . .

hiding behind a poster

This is the method much loved by the English Tories when they want to depose a leader. Not so common in Irish politics. But the question does arise in relation the the recent farcical attempted coup in FG: was Bruton (unkown to himself) used by certain wilier Blueshirts with leadership ambitions of their own as a stalking horse? It's quite clear that Bruton's long-term leadership ambitions have been damaged (probably irreparably) by this fiasco: will the real contender emerge in the coming months?
I presume you selected your username after reading that post.

RahenyFG

I reckon Leo Varadkar would make a good FG leader. He's a good debater on tv and addresses issues quite well. Plus I think he fits the bill, young, healthy, informative and straight talking, that is needed in this day and age of personality politics.

farnaby

It strikes me that at least two of the so-called young bloods (Coveney and Varadkar) may have leadership potential. Interestingly, they both openly admit to leadership ambitions. More interestingly, they both played central roles in the abortive coup.
At the time RB was the 'most-capable-in-the-Dail' in public perception - the coup plotters thought it was a fait accompli once it was initiated. And those mentioned probably thought they had the more prestigious ministerial seats sewn up after supporting him. Your thesis isn't plausible.

Jesus Wept

I presume you selected your username after reading that post.
Does a coup as botched as that, clearly ill-fated from the start, not cause you to raise even one eyebrow in a tiny fraction of suspicion? And you don't think there are any scheming Machiavellian type characters in the ranks of the Blueshirts, that they're all pure as the driven snow, motivated solely by the loftiest ideals?

Baron von Biffo

Straight answer, no. He was full on going for it.

At the FG Ard Fheis Kenny made much of Bruton as his man for finance in a future government. The following day he was forced to back off from that and effectively conceded the job to Lab. It was an incredibly stupid thing to do and I predicted at the time it would lead to Bruton challenging him. He waited for a plausible hook to hang the challenge on and went for it.

The heave was triggered by idiocy not wiliness.

Last edited:

Jesus Wept

At the time RB was the 'most-capable-in-the-Dail' in public perception - the coup plotters thought it was a fait accompli once it was initiated. And those mentioned probably thought they had the more prestigious ministerial seats sewn up after supporting him. Your thesis isn't plausible.
Can't agree: those who want to get rid of Kenny now know the mathematics, know precisely who they have to canvass in any future heave. It also is clear that were Bruton to put himself forward again as a candidate against Kenny then he would lose all credibility. And the young bloods aren't that young any more: remember that Michael Collins was only thirty-two when he died.

hiding behind a poster

Does a coup as botched as that, clearly ill-fated from the start, not cause you to raise even one eyebrow in a tiny fraction of suspicion?
No, because I know a lot more about what happened than you do.

bokuden

James Reilly has been out and about in the media a lot. I reckon it's him.

hiding behind a poster

At the FG Ard Fheis Kenny made much of Bruton as his man for finance in a future government. The following day he was forced to back off from that and effectively conceding the job to Lab.
You accepted yourself that it would have been stupid of Enda Kenny to commence negotiations about cabinet posts on live TV, 2 years before an election. Kenny rightly did no such thing, negotiated nothing, and conceded nothing.

TommyO'Brien

At the FG Ard Fheis Kenny made much of Bruton as his man for finance in a future government. The following day he was forced to back off from that and effectively conceding the job to Lab.
Still trotting up that total and utter lie. Either you are deluded or you hear voices in your head. Kenny said no such thing, ever.

TommyO'Brien

James Reilly has been out and about in the media a lot. I reckon it's him.
D'oh.

He is deputy leader. Of course he has been out and about in the media a lot. That is his job as Deputy Leader!

Zeech! :roll:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies