• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Was Tom Clarke of the 1916 Rising an anti Black Racist?

Catalpast

Seems one of the iconic figures of the 1916 Rising was a bit of a 'wacist' himself?

At least according the the Irish Times Weekend supplement 16 March 2013

Diarmaid Feriter reviews Life, Liberty, Revolution by Gerard MacAtasney

He quotes from the book the following lines from a letter Clarke wrote when he lived in New York in 1900 and was thinking of moving to a different neighbourhood because:

'THERE ARE ANY AMOUNT OF N.IGGERS LIVING HEREABOUTS AND WE IRISH AS A RULE DON'T CARE FOR COMING TOO MUCH INTO CONTACT WITH THOSE ABSURD FOLKS'

I wonder what he would make of Parnell St today?:shock:

But I would be interested to hear what other Posters think of this revelation considering his place as a Republican icon admired both at home and abroad against the Occupation of our Country and the British Plantations here

Thomas James "Tom" Clarke (Irish: Tomás Séamus Ó Cléirigh; 11 March 1857 – 3 May 1916)[1] was an Irish revolutionary leader and arguably the person most responsible for the 1916 Easter Rising. A proponent of armed revolution for most of his life, he spent 15 years in prison. Following his release he organised the Easter Rising, and was executed after it was quashed.

Tom Clarke (Irish republican) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the record I don't think he was a Racist :D

Riadach

What exactly would make a racist, in your opinion, seeing as hating people on the basis of their race seems to be out?

Levellers

Sign of the times.

I wouldn't expect any public figure to utter those words these days - except Enda Kenny and Mammy O'Rourke.

Last edited:

Roisin3

Seems one of the iconic figures of the 1916 Rising was a bit of a 'wacist' himself?
Is wacism the new racism? Saying it with a lisp (typing it with a lisp) doesn't make it any less so.

Looks like he was.

louis bernard

What’s the big deal here? 100 years ago the majority of Europeans and people of European decent would have regarded Blacks as totally inferior to them. Sign of the times.

ruserious

Another attempt to place contemporary social norms on figures from history?

SirTallaghtban

If the lads from easter 1916 saw the hack of some of Dublins more enriched areas they would have stayed in bed on that faithful Monday morn.

Happytolearn

I can't imagine he was too enamoured by gays neither

Roisin3

Another attempt to place contemporary social norms on figures from history?
Meh. If every bad thing was a contemporary social norm, nothing would ever have changed. There were always people who could see right from wrong. In the case of Clarke, he was a republican. Did these things never cross his mind? It's not like racism was a secret then, something that wasn't recognised.

4horsemen

If the lads from easter 1916 saw the hack of some of Dublins more enriched areas they would have stayed in bed on that faithful Monday morn.
Are you referring to the spivs and cute hoors who took over the body politic and many of the leafy suburbs? And those who colluded with corruption in church and commerce to destroy the lives of children and the reputation of the State?
Then I agree they should of turned over and waited for the foggy dew to clear.

ruserious

Meh. If every bad thing was a contemporary social norm, nothing would ever have changed. There were always people who could see right from wrong. In the case of Clarke, he was a republican. Did these things never cross his mind? It's not like racism was a secret then, something that wasn't recognised.

Our attitudes change relative to our own well-being.
When we eventually could enjoy a quality life, we began to care for more unfortunates.
Perhaps this allowed for the rise of anti-discriminatory movements.
Back in Clarke's day, perhaps his social background was very much a framing aspect of his words.

Cruimh

At least according the the Irish Times Weekend supplement 16 March 2013

Diarmaid Feriter reviews Life, Liberty, Revolution by Gerard MacAtasney

He quotes from the book the following lines from a letter Clarke wrote when he lived in New York in 1900 and was thinking of moving to a different neighbourhood because:

'THERE ARE ANY AMOUNT OF N.IGGERS LIVING HEREABOUTS AND WE IRISH AS A RULE DON'T CARE FOR COMING TOO MUCH INTO CONTACT WITH THOSE ABSURD FOLKS'

I wonder what he would make of Parnell St today?:shock:

But I would be interested to hear what other Posters think of this revelation considering his place as a Republican icon admired both at home and abroad against the Occupation of our Country and the British Plantations here

Thomas James "Tom" Clarke (Irish: Tomás Séamus Ó Cléirigh; 11 March 1857 – 3 May 1916)[1] was an Irish revolutionary leader and arguably the person most responsible for the 1916 Easter Rising. A proponent of armed revolution for most of his life, he spent 15 years in prison. Following his release he organised the Easter Rising, and was executed after it was quashed.

Tom Clarke (Irish republican) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the record I don't think he was a Racist :D
Have you a link to the IT article?

Gerard MacAtasney is a class act.

Roisin3

Our attitudes change relative to our own well-being.
When we eventually could enjoy a quality life, we began to care for more unfortunates.
Perhaps this allowed for the rise of anti-discriminatory movements.
True enough. Interestingly many years ago I saw an interview with an ancient resident of Harlem and the subject was racism between African Americans and both Irish and Italian Americans in New York. Interesting from the point of view that he dismissed much of the "racism" as simply people at the bottom of the heap struggling and fighting over the crumbs.

Quebecoise

Many of the American founding fathers were slave owners. That doesn't stop people celebrating the 4th of July.

Quebecoise

This is my 100th post.

Free to post, free to post! Lord God almighty I'm free to post........video at long last.

Roisin3

Many of the American founding fathers were slave owners. That doesn't stop people celebrating the 4th of July.
I always wondered why they so often had black singers to sing their national anthem, and how they didn't choke on the last lines. One time I asked an AA friend of mine. She just laughed.

EoinMag

Yeah, I'd not have fought a war for Tallaght either....

mangaire1

he didn't like west brits either, Catalpast.
& west brits didn't like him,
no surprise at all, that the west brits of today on P.ie, don't like him either.