• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Washington Post - Obama administration may push for wide ranging new gun control laws

DaveM

White House weighs broad gun-control agenda in wake of Newtown shootings - The Washington Post

It wasn't a major issue during the election last year but it would seem that the shocking recent events in Connecticut have lead President Obama to a point where his administration is now actively considering wide ranging new gun control laws, over and above the reintroduction of laws banning assault weapons and high capacity ammunition guns which had been mooted.

A working group led by Vice President Biden is seriously considering measures backed by key law enforcement leaders that would require universal background checks for firearm buyers, track the movement and sale of weapons through a national database, strengthen mental health checks, and stiffen penalties for carrying guns near schools or giving them to minors, the sources said.
The article also sheds light on how they plan to counter the resistance which is expected from the National Rifle Association.

To sell such changes, the White House is developing strategies to work around the National Rifle Association that one source said could include rallying support from Wal-Mart and other gun retailers for measures that would benefit their businesses. White House aides have also been in regular contact with advisers to New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg (I), an outspoken gun-control advocate who could emerge as a powerful surrogate for the Obama administration’s agenda.
This may well become one of the defining issues of Obama's second term as pushing these laws through will require considerable personal effort and expenditure of political capital given the manner in which this issue divides both Democrats and Republicans.

Fingers crossed that sanity prevails and these proposals can be made law.

Bill

this will play havoc with the discovery channels schedule

Spanner Island

White House weighs broad gun-control agenda in wake of Newtown shootings - The Washington Post

It wasn't a major issue during the election last year but it would seem that the shocking recent events in Connecticut have lead President Obama to a point where his administration is now actively considering wide ranging new gun control laws, over and above the reintroduction of laws banning assault weapons and high capacity ammunition guns which had been mooted.

The article also sheds light on how they plan to counter the resistance which is expected from the National Rifle Association.

This may well become one of the defining issues of Obama's second term as pushing these laws through will require considerable personal effort and expenditure of political capital given the manner in which this issue divides both Democrats and Republicans.

Fingers crossed although I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you...

Europeans who haven't lived in America and don't really 'get' America will never understand American gun culture...

harshreality

Can't wait to hear what the Charlton Heston crew have to say about this!

[video=youtube;RablPaIREkk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RablPaIREkk[/video]

lies

Twitter
yes

Shame they'll do basically feck all.

Ren84

Good, though will the assault weapons ban be reinstated?

Analyzer

Will the NRA take any solace that there are restrictions on gun ownership here, but they don't matter jack schitt...

Just look at the level of violence in Irish society !!!

Harmonica

Trying something is I suppose better than nothing but it all seems fairly pointless as there are already so many guns in that country they'll never be resolve their problems.

If we told any other country but the US had more guns than people it would be a Department of Foreign Affairs watch list.

The System Works

Website
www.thesystemworks.wordpress.com
Twitter
@mendingtheworld
It is because of fears Obama would do this when secure in his second term that gun sales exploded in the last four years.

Obama the Gun Salesman - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Ruger's firearm sales have gone from $117 million to $232 million, an increase of 98%

Winchester's sales of ammunition have gone from $431.7 million to $572 million, an increase of 33%

Federal excise taxes collected on the sale of new firearms and ammunition has risen 48.3%

January 2012 was the 20th straight month of increases in NICS background checks compared to the same month in the previous year

December 2011 saw over 1.41 million NICS background checks run, the most ever for a single month

The few states which regularly report concealed carry permit numbers have seen increases in active permit holders ranging from 46% to 161%.

ManOfReason

I have no doubt an 'Assault Weapon Ban' will be passed at some stage.

I also have no doubt that a whole new category of reconfigured assault weapons, that do not meet the new definition of assault weapon in the law, will go on sale shortly after the bill comes into effect.

GabhaDubh

Good, though will the assault weapons ban be reinstated?
This is a misnomer, assault rifles are fully automatic, which are illegal in America at present, I believe that to own a fully automatic weapon you have to have a Federal License. Also, the month of December 2012 set a record background check of 2.7 million individuals, my understanding, each check is good for up to 5 weapons, not a 100% sure.

Ren84

Will the NRA take any solace that there are restrictions on gun ownership here, but they don't matter jack schitt...

Just look at the level of violence in Irish society !!!
You mean how the US has ten times the gun death rate than Ireland or how Ireland has a far lower murder rate than the Americans? Yeah, I can really see how you would arrive at that conclusion. :rolleyes:

List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ren84

This is a misnomer, assault rifles are fully automatic, which are illegal in America at present, I believe that to own a fully automatic weapon you have to have a Federal License. Also, the month of December 2012 set a record background check of 2.7 million individuals, my understanding, each check is good for up to 5 weapons, not a 100% sure.
What would you call the weapon that killed all those children in Newtown, CT?

Looks like the very definition of an assault rifle. :roll:

The System Works

Website
www.thesystemworks.wordpress.com
Twitter
@mendingtheworld

I really hate the loaded-term that is 'assault rifle'. An assault is an action. If not used in this capacity, its just a rifle or an automatic rifle.

GabhaDubh

A semi-automatic rifle.

GabhaDubh

Quit with the semantic bullsh!t. It's an assault rifle.
Assault rifle, is fully automatic and military issue.

Popular Threads

Most Replies