• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Water Charges: No EU Exemption for Ireland

statsman

This is, as they say, a game changer.

FF/Greens introduce metered charges in 2010, thereby creating an 'established practice'.
If your 'established practice' is to charge by metering, then that's what you have to do.

FF propose suspending water charges in 2016, in defiance of their own 'established practice'. It can't be done.

SF MEP asks the question in the European Parliament, thereby getting a plain statement of the fact that it can't be done.

So, we go with metering or we leave the EU.

And Labour and FG were right, it seems.

RTÉ Mobile - Ireland not exempt from water charges - EC

Last edited:

Diawlbach

We did tell you so.

We did. We really did. You can go back and check the posts.

We told you so.

:D

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
It was always going to happen. The next course of action will be to remove subsidies for water via other taxation.

statsman

thanks comical alan you did not bother to renew the exemption
He favoured metering. And in any case, it was FF's actions that ensured there was no exemption to renew.

statsman

Did you even read what the commission said?

The exemption ended with the actions of ff/green govt in 2010
There's going to be a lot of wilful misreading of this. And wailing. And gnashing of teeth.

O

Oscurito

Most of this article is bilge but I think we should all support this proposal.

We also want public ownership of the public water supply protected in a new Article 28 Section 4:2:1 of our Constitution to read:

‘The Government shall be collectively responsible for the protection, management and maintenance of the public water system. The Government shall ensure in the public interest that this resource remains in public ownership and management.’

This will require a referendum and in the coming weeks a Bill sponsored by Joan Collins TD and signed by Sinn Féin, PBP, AAA and other Independents goes before the Dail proposing exactly that.
A Beaten Docket | Broadsheet.ie

bonkers

There's going to be a lot of wilful misreading of this. And wailing. And gnashing of teeth.
It's good to see you're so happy about this. I wonder will you be still happy when you're paying up to a €1,000 a year to O Bribe or his ilk.

O

Oscurito

This will leave Fianna Fáil in a rather awkward position. They signed up to this minority government agreement insisting that water charges be jettisoned. Now, we know that it's against EU law. They've hoisted themselves by their own petard and I have no sympathy for them. That's what you get for trying to outdo the feral left, folks. :D

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

I'm sure the government already knew this and that is why the recent bills were mailed out to us.

statsman

It's good to see you're so happy about this. I wonder will you be still happy when you're paying up to a €1,000 a year to O Bribe or his ilk.
I fully support metered water charging by a state-owned water authority.

Diawlbach

No. I do not want a referendum, not because I don't think it should be in public ownership (it should) but because the Constitution is not to be used as a way around political problems. That is what we have done with Article 40.3.3 and it's a ************************************g mess as a result. It's a matter for legislation. We have enough legislators, paid enough, and they can damn well get on with it and legislate. If a majority of some future Dáil want it, then they can legislate then; as it is, the largest majority in the history of the State actually made it harder compared to 2007 to hive off water authority functions to the private sector, so you can be damn sure no future Dáil is likely to.

Stop messing with the Constitution. Stand up, persuade, and legislate. Do your damned job as TDs, in other words.d

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

No. I do not want a referendum, not because I don't think it should be in public ownership (it should) but because the Constitution is not to be used as a way around political problems. That is what we have done with Article 40.3.3 and it's a ************************************g mess as a result. It's a matter for legislation. We have enough legislators, paid enough, and they can damn well get on with it and legislate. If a majority of some future Dáil want it, then they can legislate then; as it is, the largest majority in the history of the State actually made it harder compared to 2007 to hive off water authority functions to the private sector, so you can be damn sure no future Dáil is likely to.

Stop messing with the Constitution. Stand up, persuade, and legislate. Do your damned job as TDs, in other words.d
The government has washed its hands on the electric charges and land line telephone charges, and many of us have seen bills that are up 1000% or more with no credits except a small one on electric left. If they get out of the water business we are doomed.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies