Water charges to be refunded within weeks, what next?

ger12

The Sindo are reporting that those of us that paid our water charges can expect to receive up to €325 from Irish Water in the coming weeks.

Mr Varadkar, who made the promise in an interview with the Sunday Independent, suggests the €170m needed will not come from money allocated for Budget 2018, and said payments will start before the Budget is announced.

Anyone have an idea as to where the money will come from?

And what happens now? Is Irish Water to stay? And the meter outside my home? How will we financially upgrade the system and maintain it?

And how much has this failed policy cost the State?

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/leo-varadkar-households-will-be-refunded-water-charges-within-weeks-35935207.html

automaticforthepeople

I paid a fine for parking on double yellow lines ten years ago. Last week the council removed the lines. I can park now at the same spot without any sanction.

Can I get a refund? Would Paul Murphy organise a demo on my behalf?

tipofdiceberg

I paid a fine for parking on double yellow lines ten years ago. Last week the council removed the lines. I can park now at the same spot without any sanction.

Can I get a refund? Would Paul Murphy organise a demo on my behalf?
You were guilty, Murphy was found not guilty.
End of story.
As for your refund, it has gone towards the Garda slush fund.

Last edited:

mangaire2

The Sindo are reporting that those of us that paid our water charges can expect to receive up to €325 from Irish Water in the coming weeks.

Mr Varadkar, who made the promise in an interview with the Sunday Independent, suggests the €170m needed will not come from money allocated for Budget 2018, and said payments will start before the Budget is announced.

Anyone have an idea as to where the money will come from?

And what happens now? Is Irish Water to stay? And the meter outside my home? How will we financially upgrade the system and maintain it?

And how much has this failed policy cost the State?

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/leo-varadkar-households-will-be-refunded-water-charges-within-weeks-35935207.html
"Anyone have an idea as to where the money will come from?

from the FG Magic Money Tree.

wombat

The deal with FF was that those who paid the water tax would get a refund. So long as those who didn't pay don't get the refund , I'll be less unhappy.

wombat

"Anyone have an idea as to where the money will come from?

from the FG Magic Money Tree.
It will come from the same source as other taxes but in this case those who pay will be the ones who benefit.

tipofdiceberg

The deal with FF was that those who paid the water tax would get a refund. So long as those who didn't pay don't get the refund , I'll be less unhappy.
It will come from the same source as other taxes but in this case those who pay will be the ones who benefit.
In other words no one benefits. Cut out the spin.
It will come from the bulls##t fund.

dresden8

I remember when the spin that the country would be destroyed if this money wasn't collected.

Now Leo is just giving it away.

ger12

For those who opposed this method to fund the maintenance and delivery of this essential service, you want it to be funded through general taxation right?

And Irish Water?

ger12

In other words no one benefits. Cut out the spin.
It will come from the bulls##t fund.
Somehow my squeezed middle ass will benefit least I suspect at the end of this fiasco.

Mad as Fish

Has the refund anything to do with the fact that the IW contract could well have been unconstitutional in that it sought to take ownership of all the water on a property? Are the IW contracts annulled, or do they still stand?

ger12

shiel

The people whose decisions bankrupt the country when they were flying high and having their arses licked by media prior to 2009 introduced water charges when the ************************ hit the fan.

They then reversed their policy and opposed water charges.

Media said nothing about that reverse but opposed water charges.

That was the same media that said nothing about the fact that the system was losing 50% of its water since independence.

Hypocrisy is too mild a word.

Mad as Fish

How much money do you think has been wasted on this do you reckon?
Probably safe to start at a billion and work upwards. Certainly more than the e voting machines.

ger12

The people whose decisions bankrupt the country when they were flying high and having their arses licked by media prior to 2009 introduced water charges when the ************************ hit the fan.

They then reversed their policy and opposed water charges.

Media said nothing about that reverse but opposed water charges.

That was the same media that said nothing about the fact that the system was losing 50% of its water since independence.

Hypocrisy is too mild a word.
You're wrong there, I don't believe the media supported this campaign at all. In fact they were largely pro this policy.

wombat

How much money do you think has been wasted on this do you reckon?
No idea, a lot, but the refund should be easily quantified.

shiel

You're wrong there, I don't believe the media supported this campaign at all. In fact they were largely pro this policy.
You were not listening to or reading the same media I was.

They supported the tripling of bank lending and the tripling of government expenditure during the pre 2009 period.

They jumped on the consequent anti-austerity bandwagon when the ************************ hit the fan.

They are still there.

wombat

Probably safe to start at a billion and work upwards. Certainly more than the e voting machines.
A million is a lot of money to spend on any contract. A billion is 1000 times a million and only comes into play when we start to consider public service payments.

New Threads

Most Replies