• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Water Charges To Be Rolled Out right after the 2014 elections

CptSternn

Families to face bills of €370 a year for water - Latest News, Personal Finance - Independent.ie

FAMILIES can expect to be hit with water bills averaging €370 a year when charging is introduced next year.

The EU/IMF agreement says charging must begin from 2014 but the Government may decide to delay the inevitable until after the local elections that year. This is because there are concerns that homeowners – hit with a full year of the property tax that was introduced last month, plus water charges – will then vote against the coalition government parties of Fine Gael and Labour in the June 2014 elections.
I wonder how many people will vote for FG LAB and get caught out by this?

sic transit

It is €30 a month, just over what people pay for a Sky/UPC basic package. A bit higher than I expected but not a massive outlay.

seanmacc

How about they stop poisoning us with flouride and I might think about paying

pinemartin

It is €30 a month, just over what people pay for a Sky/UPC basic package. A bit higher than I expected but not a massive outlay.
I dont have a Sky/UP package. Does these mean I dont have to pay the water charges?

Levellers

Nothing wrong with water charges if they are fair.

But I bet you I'll pay the same as some tosser with a swimming pool.

Rocky

The plan has always been to introduce Water Charges for 2014.

The new thing in that article is the government are looking at delaying it for 6 months. They have delayed the Property Tax for 6 months, so there is nothing massively new there either. The money has to be raised or cut regardless though. If they delay it for the 6 months, it just means it has to come from somewhere else.

Rocky

Nothing wrong with water charges if they are fair.

But I bet you I'll pay the same as some tosser with a swimming pool.
In the beginning it appears so, but once the meters are in place that shouldn't be the case.

The Dark Knight Forever

As someone who remembers the last anti-water charges campaign very well, all I can say is they are in for a fight on this issue, ( they left off water charges in Dublin until last in 1994 each year more and more people refused to pay the water charges until they were abolished in 1996. There was a lot less households back then-we can expect they will use threats to limit someone’s supply of water, they did this last time. Any time the water was turned off on a non-payer, it was turned back on soon afterwards by campaign volunteers. The same will happen again. One Incident during the last anti-water charges campaign: a private water crew tried to turn off residents water supply in Waterford. Their van was surrounded by angry mobs of people and they were trapped for hours. The only real purpose in setting up Irish Water is to pave the way for the eventual privatisation of water - a bonanza to be handed over to a private operator to profiteer from a vital resource. Otherwise, the government would leave water in control of local authorities.

[video=youtube;dYmz7oXPbWU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYmz7oXPbWU[/video]

sic transit

I dont have a Sky/UP package. Does these mean I dont have to pay the water charges?
€30 a month is not a lot. Use your own numbers.

libertarian-right

If people have learnt anything from recent years, the figures the media displays has never been the exact amount. It will not be 370.

I would estimate it will be about 230-250 a year, roughly around 20 a month.

Outlander

We are connected to a group water scheme. Meters appeared last year and we are charged for usage now. Also had to pay a big whack for the upgrade of the treatment plant.

DaveM

If people have learnt anything from recent years, the figures the media displays has never been the exact amount. It will not be 370.

I would estimate it will be about 230-250 a year, roughly around 20 a month.
Non-domestic water charges, which are set on the basis of full recovery of cost, are typically around €2 per cubic metre (1,000 litres). Average consumption is approximately 160 litres per person per day. On that basis an avaerge household of four people would use around 230 cubic metres per annum with a resulting bill in the order of around €460 (if the domestic rate charged were the same as non-domestic rate).

ruserious

Do I spot a market opportunity for an urbanised private well system?

DaveM

The only real purpose in setting up Irish Water is to pave the way for the eventual privatisation of water - a bonanza to be handed over to a private operator to profiteer from a vital resource. Otherwise, the government would leave water in control of local authorities.
The rationale behind setting up Irish water has nothing to do with privatisation. The current arrangement whereby water services fall within the remit of local authorities is highly inefficient. Irish Water will be divided up on the basis of river basin districts which will allow for individual resources to be appropriately managed, something which is currently hindered by the involvement and conflicting interests of multiple local authorities.

libertarian-right

Non-domestic water charges, which are set on the basis of full recovery of cost, are typically around €2 per cubic metre (1,000 litres). Average consumption is approximately 160 litres per person per day. On that basis an avaerge household of four people would use around 230 cubic metres per annum with a resulting bill in the order of around €460 (if the domestic rate charged were the same as non-domestic rate).
Apologies, I should have stated I was thinking of the flat rate charge they want to bring in initially before they start charging the real rates for usage.

culmore

We all know it is coming for a few years now, nothing new there, hope there is a free allowance first and then pay as you go.

DaveM

Apologies, I should have stated I was thinking of the flat rate charge they want to bring in initially before they start charging the real rates for usage.
The flat rate will be difficult. To be in any way valid it will probably have to be linked to occupancy. The figure charged would probably be higher than you say if the domestic rate were set at €2/m3. On the other hand we have to see are they still planning on providing a certain amount for free with the charge applying only to volume is excess of that quota. Whatever it is the flat rate will probably be set based on the expected bill amount using average per capita consumption and occupancy of the premises.