• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Water Charges!

libertarian-right

Note that Gormley doesnt know how much people will have to pay and is hoping the first water bill people get is at the earliest 2012. In other words, the next government can deal with the mess.

deiseguy

In principle I would be in favour of watercharges. However I think any consumer would be fully within their rights to refuse to pay them until such time as a least 95% of the water that leaves a treatment plant gets to the tap. The current situation is a joke and the line that water charges are needed to fund the upgrading of the system could only be dreamed up by a civil servant. Imagine a private company informing its consumers that it had to charge them more because it failed to invest in its long term needs when it was coining it....oh yeah I forgot our vitally important banking system.

By the way I'm on a private water supply.

FakeViking

Note that Gormley doesnt know how much people will have to pay and is hoping the first water bill people get is at the earliest 2012. In other words, the next government can deal with the mess.
That seems to be the plan for every problem these days.

Asparagus

The estate i live in has 3 leaking water mains stopcocks since the big freeze.
We have been on to the developer, the Kildare COCO, the county councillors, the department of the environment.

Nothing has been done.

Recent flow tests (paid for by the resident commitee) conservatively estimate that 1,000,000 litres have been leaked.
The RC cannot engage a private contractor to fix it.

They can f*ck right off if they think i am going to pay a penny for water. The waste of tax payers money is one thing but the destruction it must be causing to the local environment and the structural integrity of the estate.

The coco say they can't do anything on an estate until they have taken over from a developer - i assume this includes fitting meters..
The vast majority of estates in kildare (and i presume the country) have not been taken over
if they go for a flat tax i propose we all leave our taps running day and night

poolfan81

Im sure it will form part of the €3billion to be cut in the budget

Will the charges be brought in before or after all the upgrades and leakages have been repaired?

libertarian-right

Im sure it will form part of the €3billion to be cut in the budget
Your 100% right. They will announce the plans for water charges and a property tax as part of the budget. Of course they wont realise this revenue until after 2012...just in time for the next government to sort out ;) The social solidarity tax will also come into play. The rest is 1 billion cut in capital projects and 1 billion in PS/welfare cuts.

Asparagus

Your 100% right. They will announce the plans for water charges and a property tax as part of the budget. Of course they wont realise this revenue until after 2012...just in time for the next government to sort out ;) The social solidarity tax will also come into play. The rest is 1 billion cut in capital projects and 1 billion in PS/welfare cuts.
So the Green Party are too busy to look after the environment?

NEVER AGAIN people of ireland

deiseguy

The coco say they can't do anything on an estate until they have taken over from a developer - i assume this includes fitting meters..
Assumption is the mother of all f**k-ups. The county council can do something, the developer should have paid a bond to the council in order to connect to their services this bond is refundable once the estate has been completed and all services are up to scratch water, sewerage, roads, lighting. I believe the council can use this bond a leverage to force action from the developer in a situation such as the one you have described.

riven

To give some perspective

I pay water rates as part of my yearly council tax. The tax covers garbage disposal and water rates as well as other services (grass cutting etc) - EUR450 a year. Water rates account for ~EUR100 of that.

poolfan81

Im not as sure they will introduce the property tax because they will be left with the label.

PAD1OH

i paid water rates when I lived in the UK. It was alien at first but with the water meter we were able to keep tabs on what was being used and what we were paying for.

The Caped Cod

This issue has been raised before on other threads and the points about the costs incurred in treating (not just unnecessary and possibly dangerous flouridation) and supplying the water merit a slight charge. That said, this should also bring in an obligation to have free sources of potable water available. Growing up, there used ot be plenty but these days any public tabs have "non-potable water" signs tacked to them. The implimentation of charges brings with it the onus to provide a free alternative. (even if you are obliged to to travel to it)

danger here

Im not as sure they will introduce the property tax because they will be left with the label.
Planet Joe Duffy won't see it as FF's legacy,blame will lie with the next govt.

Socratus O' Pericles

Assumption is the mother of all f**k-ups. The county council can do something, the developer should have paid a bond to the council in order to connect to their services this bond is refundable once the estate has been completed and all services are up to scratch water, sewerage, roads, lighting. I believe the council can use this bond a leverage to force action from the developer in a situation such as the one you have described.

In this developer friendly environment the bond rarely covers the cost of cmpleting the development. If you lodge an FOI wth your local authority asking how much security they retain to complete the development and how much the costs of this work are you may get an unpleasannt shock.

The water charges are just another way to fund local works at the expense of the small person.

Asparagus

I have been in conversation with both sides - the builders never expect those bonds back.
The coco does not want to take over the estates because they will have to pay this money.
Oh and Our particular developer is owed 7 or 8 million for the ould affordable housing.
Oh and there is seemingly NO way to enforce anything - even with an enforcement order.
And our developer will more than likely fold soon.

We are connected to a neighbouring towns sewage system and one rainy day we had a fountain installed in our green area, nice i hear you say, except the fountain was due to sewage lines and storm drains being crossed and a blockage occuring.
then the blockage cleared itself by erupting from the earth in a green area and showing the green with no fewer than 28 sanitary towels and piles of sh1t.

The council did nothing

the estate had a pre planning clause that required a motorway sound barrier to be erected prior to development - it is still not erected years after the estate is complete.

The council could do nothing
The NRA could do nothing
The department of Transport can do nothing
The department of the environment can do nothing.

The developer claims he has evidence that sound reduction barriers do not reduce sound. This evidence is testimoney of people (freinds of his) who say they noticed no difference when sound barriers in other areas where installed.

deiseguy

In this developer friendly environment the bond rarely covers the cost of cmpleting the development. If you lodge an FOI wth your local authority asking how much security they retain to complete the development and how much the costs of this work are you may get an unpleasannt shock.

The water charges are just another way to fund local works at the expense of the small person.
You're probably right but just from local experience with a watershortage I believe the bond was used to get co-operation from the developer. Not sure though and this was a couple of years ago.

libertarian-right

For another thread but I will point you to the ground work being done. Lenihan talking about budget 2010...

Saint Lenihan said:
In the Renewed Programme for Government we have accepted the recommendations of the Commission on Taxation on the need for a property tax. Considerable ground work will need to be done before a Site Valuation Tax can be introduced. Work will shortly begin on the registration of ownership and the valuation of land.
On water charges which this thread relates to...

Saint Lenihan said:
The Renewed Programme also contains a commitment to introduce a system of water metering for homes. Preparations are underway. Water charges, when introduced, will be based on consumption above a free allocation. Further details will be announced by the Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government.

These charges, like the charge on second homes, will finance the provision of local services by local authorities.
So these are the preparations that are underway...how long will it take? ;)