Waterford City and County Councils to be merged: Hogan

gijoe

I heard the press conference with Hogan yesterday on my local radio this morning. He stated there will be further changes to local authorities to be announced in the autumn. He specificially mentioned the merger of the two Waterford Councils.

Also on the agenda is the abolition of the Town Councils and the at least rationalising of services in the smaller counties, if not their merger e.g. services like IT and Library services could be merged across smaller counties into larger ones although they could retain their Councils and County Manager.

gijoe

Any word on Carlow Kilkenny Phil?
He was specifically asked about that and he left it open. Although in reality what I think will happen is that a range of services like IT and library services etc will be farmed out to the larger counties so that either Wicklow or Kilkenny will provide a range of services to Carlow for which Carlow will pay an agreed sum.

brughahaha

Is this going to be like the Health boards to HSE style merger , or will we actually see some redundancies due to duplication ?

locke

I'm not impressed by the way Hogan is doing this. There is no debate, just a dictat issues.

For the record, I'm in favour of merging the county councils in Limerick, Tipperary, Waterford and Dublin, but opposed to it in Cork and Galway. I'm also opposed to the abolition of the town councils, although I would like to see them replaced with a more consistent district council.

daveL

Abolition of town councils would cause uproar.. whether people like it or not
you mean town councils would 'uproar' themselves

can't see many citizens 'uproaring', most people wouldn't bat an eyelid

I'm not sure what uproar you envisage!

daveL

7 regional boards is all that's needed

Dublin South & North
Cork City
Munster
Leinster
Ulster
Connaught

no more

G

Gimpanzee

7 regional boards is all that's needed

Dublin South & North
Cork City
Munster
Leinster
Ulster
Connaught

no more
You're breakdown is all over the shop. Not sure what sort of criteria you are using if any.

Why would Cork City warrant a board of its own? In terms of population, it is a fraction of the size of other boards. And Ulster isn't even contiguous.

Three factors need to be taken into account. Population, the geographical size, and historical administrative boundaries, in that order.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
I heard the press conference with Hogan yesterday on my local radio this morning. He stated there will be further changes to local authorities to be announced in the autumn. He specificially mentioned the merger of the two Waterford Councils.

Also on the agenda is the abolition of the Town Councils and the at least rationalising of services in the smaller counties, if not their merger e.g. services like IT and Library services could be merged across smaller counties into larger ones although they could retain their Councils and County Manager.
All very good and long overdue ideas. I'd also look at merging Galway and Cork City and and County councils and Dun Laoighaire/Rathdown and South Dublin but the main advantage will come with doing away of the ridiculous town councils.

florin

This is all about redundancies.

Phil should go further and leave us with about 13 counties
Even fewer, 9 should do. We could have regional capitals in Athlone, Galway, Cork, Limerick, Waterford, Sligo, Drogheda and Dublin n/s. In any case, going about it bit by bit is pointless when the entire system of local government is so expensive, wasteful, inefficient and powerless.

Grumpy Jack

I'm not impressed by the way Hogan is doing this. There is no debate, just a dictat issues.

For the record, I'm in favour of merging the county councils in Limerick, Tipperary, Waterford and Dublin, but opposed to it in Cork and Galway. I'm also opposed to the abolition of the town councils, although I would like to see them replaced with a more consistent district council.
I think diktat is needed at this stage to push through reform across the PS, local authorities, govt departments, elected authorities, etc.

One of the worst traits of the Ahern-Cowen years was the endless dithering, delaying and pandering to local interests and whingers - and general political cowardice - around the reform of the entire PS.

The HSE is the best example of that.

Enough, I say - just get on with sorting out the messes left by FF. And if that means breaking eggs, so be it.

locke

In any case, going about it bit by bit is pointless when the entire system of local government is so expensive, wasteful, inefficient and powerless.
That's a very good point.

It would be a much better idea to sit down and design our model local governance structure and then work out how to transition to that rather than continue with ad hoc changes.

There seems to be little planning.

Thekinghasnoclothes

Some one very close to Big Phil tells me that three new grades of senior management were added under Fianna Fáil in 1997

Previously engineers made a lot of decisions. They have been supplanted with directors of services and additional administrators

Jobs for the boys that pay very well

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom