• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

SuirView

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irelan...r-risk-being-eclipsed-by-limerick-422029.html

O'Callaghan forgets to mention his role at Mahon where he bribed every politician in Dublin who would take a bribe or how he stole Tommy Gilmartin's Liffey SC with the considerable help of AIB.

Nor does he mention as probably FF's largest donor over the last 30 years and wants his perceived entitlement in building projects and grants from the State.

He has been nurturing MeHole since he was a lad and wants/demands payback.
Poor "stanley" claims he's not a Tan yet he forgets this,

Horgan

Eire1976

The only thing that makes money in Arthur's quay is the car park.

Dearghoul

The only thing that makes money in Arthur's quay is the car park.
Busy little shopping centre that one, and it proves that not everything retail needs to be dragged out of the centre as has been happening for years, leaving the tumbleweed roll up and down previously buzzing City Centre retail streets.

locke

Yes, if there was no 20 - 30 min stop in Limerick Junction, we're taking about 85-90 minutes even at the moment.

There used to be a line directly from Cork to Limerick (branched off at Charleville, line still intact to some degree, and not surrendered as far as I know). Currently getting a train from Galway to Cork involves two changes: changing at Limerick, then getting a train to the Junction, and then another change to the Dublin-Cork train. Having one long fast line from Galway to Cork, stopping at just Limerick (and maybe Ennis too) would make a lot of sense. Too much hassle at the moment (I suspect just easier to hop on an intercity bus). Adding Cork might significantly increase financial viability of Western Rail Corridor also.
At the time it was closed, Charleville-Limerick on the direct line took as long as on the main line. It was built to a hugely lower quality standard.

To be honest, if Cork-Dublin was increased to 160kph running (planned anyway), and the same treatment was applied to Limerick-Limerick Junction as well, the time would come down to one hour on a direct service, which would be more than adequate.

stanley

Last edited:
Last edited:
Explain your post "they were all at it".

Supporters and politicians from the 2 main Parties, who did you think I meant - snow white and the seven dwarfs

cabledude

And that chip came from the Golden Grill on William St and tastes better than any in Cork.
Happy memories of being brought here as a young chap, brothers and parents, horsing into chips, sausages and beans, cans of Fanta and 7-Up.

Oh, the good 'ol days.

Hibee

And that chip came from the Golden Grill on William St and tastes better than any in Cork.
Ha ha ha

Drisheen or tripe
Thomond or Musgrave
Donkey Fords or Jackie Lennox
Nancy's or Reardons
UL or UCC
Eamon Cregan or JBM
The milk market or English market
The Shannon or the Lee
Todds or Cashes

cabledude

Limerick City Centre could do with a bit more development in terms of retail. I'm familiar enough with both Cork and Limerick City centres. In terms of shopping, IMO Cork City Centre is a nicer experience. It's more compact, with everything being not too far from, radiating off of, or parallel to Patrick Street. Since they revamped Patrick Street (must be many years ago now), it's a big pleasant wide main shopping thoroughfare. It's harder to identify a "centre" to Limerick City centre. The shops seem more dispersed (and there doesn't seem to be as big a range). That said, I love the big bookshop on Limerick's O'Connell Street (can't remember its name). The nearest equivalent would be the Waterstones one in Cork (but that's nowhere as big). Both have the usual big drive-in out of town shopping centres. Can't say I'm a great fan of these (I'd guess they are fairly comparable in both places).
Have to agree. I'm a Limerickman at heart. But, I would prefer visiting Cork for shopping/leisure breaks. Just a nicer place to be. And I find the people friendlier.

SuirView

Supporters and politicians from the 2 main Parties, who did you think I meant - snow white and the seven dwarfs
If you believe so, why did you only mention one side on post #9?

Prof Honeydew

Ha ha ha

Drisheen or tripe
Thomond or Musgrave
Donkey Fords or Jackie Lennox
Nancy's or Reardons
UL or UCC
Eamon Cregan or JBM
The milk market or English market
The Shannon or the Lee
Todds or Cashes
Packet, not tripe.

Filibuster

I can quite honestly say that Cork doesn't really spend a lot of time thinking about Limerick, but clearly they spend a lot of time thinking about Cork, which says a lot really.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom