• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

way to go scotland, standing up to bigotry and racism

dancl2000

Nigel Farage, leader of UKIP, a party of far right views to which lipstick has been generously applied, turned up to campaign in Edinburgh where he was created by people condeming racism and bigotry.
BBC News - Nigel Farage blasts 'fascist' protesters after Edinburgh confrontation

Farage accesses the protestors of intolerance and fascism. Personally I commend the protestors, as the saying goes all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Calling out bigotry and racism is something to be proud of.

As a larger point, Farage claims he is entitled to tolerance and a voice in the debate and this was denied to him by the protesters. This is an interesting question, can someone who is intolerant reasonably expect that tolerance be shown to them ? I would say no, a pre-requisite to participating in the politcal debate is good character. This means those who dont respect the rights and freedom of others should expect that will not be entertained politically.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151599071910155&set=a.496176595154.294030.8798180154&type=1&theater

A summary of the UKIP movement is here
Is Ukip a party of bigots? Let's look at the evidence

bob3344

Nicholas Farage, leader of UKIP, a party of far right views to which lipstick has been generously applied, turned up to campaign in Edinburgh where he was created by people condeming racism and bigotry.
BBC News - Nigel Farage blasts 'fascist' protesters after Edinburgh confrontation

Farage accesses the protestors of intolerance and fascism. Personally I commend the protestors, as the saying goes all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Calling out bigotry and racism is something to be proud of.

As a larger point, Farage claims he is entitled to tolerance and a voice in the debate and this was denied to him by the protesters. This is an interesting question, can someone who is intolerant reasonably expect that tolerance be shown to them ? I would say no, a pre-requisite to participating in the politcal debate is good character. This means those who dont respect the rights and freedom of others should expect that will not be entertained politically.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151599071910155&set=a.496176595154.294030.8798180154&type=1&theater

You either agree with democracy or you don't.

Who decides on 'good character' - you ?

What happened in Edinburgh was fascism. I realise that the idiots who protested are too stupid to appreciate this.

Seanie Lemass

If you think UKIP are fascist I suggest you enroll for an evening Leaving cert history course.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Were the SNP commie trash involved? I see a lot of students, hipsters and punks - but no obvious SNP placards.

P Ryan

Nigel Farage, leader of UKIP, a party of far right views to which lipstick has been generously applied, turned up to campaign in Edinburgh where he was created by people condeming racism and bigotry.

So Dan, how exactly does opposing membership of an increasingly federalist block make one a racist and intolerant? Oddly enough, the people in Edinburgh heckling him told him to 'go home back to England'. The only bigotry here seems to be coming from their side.

dancl2000

You either agree with democracy or you don't.

Who decides on 'good character' - you ?

What happened in Edinburgh was fascism. I realise that the idiots who protested are too stupid to appreciate this.
The point is somebody with little respect for rights of others is trying to claim democratic freedom to spread intolerant views. Freedom of speech doesnt mean people have to listen to you

The rights of individuals arent subjective, they are well established - someone who doesnt respected the rights of the individual shouldnt expect a right to spread those intolerant views

As Karl Popper said
“Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society... then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them... We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant.”

Dearghoul

Created there was he? It's becoming clearer what's going on, he's one of them!

Honecker

Did Farage seriously think he'd get a warm reception in Scotland? They hate the tories in Scotland so I don't know why UKIP (a more extreme version of the tories) would think it's a good idea to campaign there.

Sync

I'm not sure how Farrage, of non-english roots, married to a german, who has banned BNP members from joining UKIP is a racist? He's anti-EU and thinks uncontrolled immigration will damage the UK. Neither of those things make you a racist.

Dearghoul

The point is somebody with little respect for rights of others is trying to claim democratic freedom to spread intolerant views. Freedom of speech doesnt mean people have to listen to you

The rights of individuals arent subjective, they are well established - someone who doesnt respected the rights of the individual shouldnt expect a right to spread those intolerant views

As Karl Popper said
“Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society... then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them... We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant.”
Once again, are you the arbiter of what's tolerable?

bob3344

It does however mean that you should be allowed express your opinion without being threatened by fascist scum who think they have the right to decide which opinions are voiced, cos they know whats best.

dancl2000

So Dan, how exactly does opposing membership of an increasingly federalist block make one a racist and intolerant?
I have no problem with opposing membership of the eu, it's valid to debate the pros and cons

However having some legitimate aspects to an agenda doesnt make the agenda legitimate as a whole. Other aspects of the UKIP are far more questionable. I suggest you you read the newstatesman link in the OP

P Ryan

Well seems to me that not being a federalist Eurotron and advocate of unrestricted immigration from everywhere makes one an extreme right-winger and facist. Now its time I turn myself over to the ICC in the hague....

Clanrickard

I have no problem with opposing membership of the eu, it's valid to debate the pros and cons

However having some legitimate aspects to an agenda doesnt make the agenda legitimate as a whole. Other aspects of the UKIP are far more questionable. I suggest you you read the newstatesman link in the OP
What are these questionable aspects? Did you read them in some student antifa pamphlet?

sgtharper

The point is somebody with little respect for rights of others is trying to claim democratic freedom to spread intolerant views. Freedom of speech doesnt mean people have to listen to you. The rights of individuals arent subjective, they are well established - someone who doesnt respected the rights of the individual shouldnt expect a right to spread those intolerant views
Could you please post an example of Farage's lack of respect for the rights of others or his intolerant views? Thanks.

eyelight

As Karl Popper said
As Amos Bronson Alcott said...
"To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant."

dancl2000

ok given some people dont seem to manage clicking on the link in the OP here's a summary

When Godfrey Bloom MEP, infamous for making a speech in the European Parliament – one of his better ones – while heavily intoxicated, said that “no employer with a brain in the right place would employ a young, single, free woman”, Farage’s reaction was “Dear old Godders! Godfrey's comment [as above] has been proved so right.”

Later, high-ranking member Alexandra Swann sided with a Ukip councillor who said it was dangerous to allow those who do not work to vote. Political Scrapbook reported her as saying that “allowing people to vote on how other people’s money is spent — if they don’t contribute — is dangerous”. This, presumably, would include those unable to contribute because of disability.

Finally, the apotheosis (and demise of Godwin’s law, forever hence) came when a UKIP candidate aired his repugnant views about compulsory abortion of all disabled babies.

On a private members’ forum, senior UKIP member and former parliamentary candidate Dr Julia Gasper claimed some homosexuals prefer sex with animals. The Mirror reported her as saying: “As for the links between homosexuality and paedophilia, there is so much evidence that even a full-length book could hardly do justice to the ­subject.”

Like former UKIP activist Kim Gandy, who worked in care, but joked on Facebook that elderly people should be euthanised when they become a burden

Maggie Chapman, who cracks jokes about Muslims having sex with camels and “paki” families going home and spreads Christmas cheer with her “eggnog for nig-nogs”

Instead, if you find yourself nodding in agreement with a couple of items on Ukip’s long list of empty promises, remember all the other things you will also be signing up for.

Nemesiscorporation

Good to see people standing up to Farange and his bigotry.

UKIP are a poison in the UK.

Hopefully Scotland will soon be independent.