Waymo to buy 'thousands' of minivans for self-driving vehicle service

McSlaggart

DETROIT -- Waymo, founded as the self-driving car arm of Google, will buy "thousands" of additional Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid minivans for its planned autonomous ride-hailing service, Fiat Chrysler said Tuesday.

The announcement appears to represent a massive boost in the scope of the development of self-driving cars.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/01/30/waymo-buy-thousands-minivans-self-driving-vehicle-service/1077703001/

The Waymo systems looks extremely good and I do not think it will be long before they go into mass production.

Trainwreck

I wonder who is going to win the distinction of going down in history to be the first pedestrian to be killed by an autonomous car?

Spirit Of Newgrange

I wonder who is going to win the distinction of going down in history to be the first pedestrian to be killed by an autonomous car?
i would rather a sh1..t computer than many of the drunk/texting/speeding eejits that i see everyday on the irish roads

mr_anderson

This constantly blows my mind.

Had you told me in school that I'd see all-electric vehicles in my 30's and self-driving cars in my 40's, I wouldn't have believed you.

The pace of progress is insane.

I've monumental respect for all the scientists and boffins who forged this path.

johnnypockets

This constantly blows my mind.

Had you told me in school that I'd see all-electric vehicles in my 30's and self-driving cars in my 40's, I wouldn't have believed you.

The pace of progress is insane.

I've monumental respect for all the scientists and boffins who forged this path.
Wait until AI really takes hold. Then the progress will be absolutely staggering.

McSlaggart

In thirty years time it is quite possible that nobody will drive except as a minority leisure pursuit.
I think it will only be for the super rich as the insurance will be extremely expensive.

johnnypockets

In thirty years time it is quite possible that nobody will drive except as a minority leisure pursuit.
Without a doubt. It will really change peoples' lives. The future is very bright as long as AI gets proper respect and the proper protections are put in place beforehand. We can't afford to be reactive in this space.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
There's a huge qwerty problem to get over: the vast majority of software power will be dedicated to dealing with the unpredictability of human road users. Other autonomous vehicles will be a doddle, as will other environmental factors.

Apart from a few small details, the route optimization problems are already basically sorted.

brigg

There will be many years of resistance from lobby groups, unions, boy racers etc first. Nobody has really addressed this properly. A discussion of the pros and cons is badly needed.

wexfordman

DETROIT -- Waymo, founded as the self-driving car arm of Google, will buy "thousands" of additional Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid minivans for its planned autonomous ride-hailing service, Fiat Chrysler said Tuesday.

The announcement appears to represent a massive boost in the scope of the development of self-driving cars.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/01/30/waymo-buy-thousands-minivans-self-driving-vehicle-service/1077703001/

The Waymo systems looks extremely good and I do not think it will be long before they go into mass production.
Mad as a fish is going to be as mad as a fish

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies