• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

We are all Alliance supporters today?

J

Johnny Boy

For everyone who cares about democracy; who wants an end to sectarian posing and mind games; an end to mindless thuggery; an end to immature reactions to complicated issues; an end to whataboutery; wants no more from polititians who condemn violence with empty words. For those people, the vast majority of the people of Northern Ireland, from whatever political or religious background, we are all Alliance supporters today.
I transcribed that from the conclusion of today's BelTel editorial, so no link. I feel it is a good summary of my opinion of Alliance at this minute. I've never warmed to them in the past, but they have proved to be genuinely impartial this week, and I'm genuinely impressed.
How many share my view?

caulfield

My father voted Alliance in 1979. It was the first time I'd even queried the loyalist story I'd heard all my life. I'm for ever in his debt for opening my eyes.
This week they matched conciliatory words with actions.

RedCloud

The DUPers are certainly all Alliance suporters today.
Come the next election it will be brutal !

oxterSniffer

Of course Johnny Boy supports the pathetic party which allows Republican agendas to be pushed bit-by-bit through the back door!

Northtipp

Of course Johnny Boy supports the pathetic party which allows Republican agendas to be pushed bit-by-bit through the back door!

Didn't they just dothe right thing? at the loss of their only MP btw. That's guts in my eyes.

Narcissist

There would be a lot more unionist minded people in the alliance party than there would be nationalist.

caulfield

No Alliance tried to broker a compromise. A hard concept for loyalists but one you'd better get used too.
What is pathetic is the way loyalist hard men have threatened female Alliance politicians. Brave boys

oxterSniffer

Didn't they just dothe right thing? at the loss of their only MP btw. That's guts in my eyes.
Appeasing people who reneged on an agreement which they signed to respect British sovereignty is not "the right thing". Of course, considering you are a Republican, I doubt you will admit that.

Northtipp

Appeasing people who reneged on an agreement which they signed to respect British sovereignty is not "the right thing". Of course, considering you are a Republican, I doubt you will admit that.
For goodness sake. British sovereignty is all over and enshrined in the city hall. Turn a corridor corner ffs. Alliance were brave. I have, in here, Referred to them in their original guise, ie. the alternate unionist party. Well far play to them they broke that. Credit were its due.

oxterSniffer

No Alliance tried to broker a compromise. A hard concept for loyalists but one you'd better get used too.
What is pathetic is the way loyalist hard men have threatened female Alliance politicians. Brave boys
I don't support threats.

You are though being extremely dishonest to pretend that most of the compromises during the Appeasement Process have came from anywhere than overwhelmingly from the Unionist/Loyalist side. This is the problem with the "Alliance" party: they want to keep allowing Republicans to breach their agreed commitments.

Ex celt

Weasel words.You hated and despised Alliance.Only party on the up in NI prior to them taking the cyanide pill proferred by sf/ira.
Alliance stood for compromise and equality which are qualities that you and your ilk bleat on about but do not put into practice.

oxterSniffer

I'd also like to say that I actually voted Alliance 1st preference at the last Assembly election (largely, though not wholly, as a tactical attempt to keep out a Provo). Won't be happening again (even tactically).

PeacefulViking

What has "respecting sovereignty" got to do with the flying of flags? (Unless flying of said flag was compelled or prohibited by the British government.)

RedCloud

Alliance are making the UUP look positively slick.
The DUPers will emerge from this fiasco,bigger and stronger than ever.

Best not to get started with whom is best at thretening whom,huh ? :)

between the bridges

personally i think alliance took the middle ground and that is what they said they would do, and amid all the nonsense the fact that SF/IRA voted to fly the union flag in line with all other UK cities has been overlooked...

caulfield

I don't support threats.

You are though being extremely dishonest to pretend that most of the compromises during the Appeasement Process have came from anywhere than overwhelmingly from the Unionist/Loyalist side. This is the problem with the "Alliance" party: they want to keep allowing Republicans to breach their agreed commitments.
Well the IRA surrendered their weapons That was a fairly big compromise.
Martin McGuinness met the queen.
For example. I don't think it's all one sided.

The reality is that nearly half the population of NI is CNR. The best chance of keeping the union is normalisation of NI. The debacle over parades and the union flag don't help unionism in any shape or form.

J

Johnny Boy

Alliance are trying to hold a middle ground. They consist of people who are neither strongly unionist, nor strongly nationalist - they just want progress. Is that a crime?
It seems to me that the anger being expressed is largely against those Protestant members of the party who have chosen a neutral course.
It is a crazy over-reaction.
When people cross the line and make common cause the other side it is progress.

oxterSniffer

What has "respecting sovereignty" got to do with the flying of flags? (Unless flying of said flag was compelled or prohibited by the British government.)
It is normal international diplomatic practice, and one encouraged as expected by the British government. Republicans and Alliance do not want us to be allowed to be normal.

caulfield

Alliance are making the UUP look positively slick.
The DUPers will emerge from this fiasco,bigger and stronger than ever.

Best not to get started with whom is best at thretening whom,huh ? :)
Remind me who Alliance have threatened?

oxterSniffer

Well the IRA surrendered their weapons That was a fairly big compromise.
Martin McGuinness met the queen.
For example. I don't think it's all one sided.

The reality is that nearly half the population of NI is CNR. The best chance of keeping the union is normalisation of NI. The debacle over parades and the union flag don't help unionism in any shape or form.
Surrendering illegal weapons that they shouldn't have had in the first place is hardly a massive compromise. After all, the army could have simply legally and justifiably assassinated the lot of them as a terror threat and been done with it. Meeting the head of state is hardly a big compromise either as the state was in existence before Martin McGuinness was.