We are going to spend €713 million on a National Conference Centre

Tommythecommy

The National conference centre will be open for business from Christmas 2010

The ideal venue for an Ardfheis if one could afford it.

It will need to turn over more than 4 million per month just to break even

Conferences - The Convention Centre Dublin

Note: Parliamentary Question from Olivia Mitchell TD follows:

For WRITTEN ANSWER on Tuesday, 6th July, 2010.

* 134. To ask the Minister for Finance when the first payment for the Convention Centre, Dublin, is due to Treasury Holdings; and if he will make a statement on the matter.
* 135. To ask the Minister for Finance the agreed annual payment due to Treasury Holdings in respect of the Conference Centre; and if he will make a statement on the matter. - Olivia Mitchell TD

REPLY.
The Contract for the National Conference Centre project, now known as the Convention Centre Dublin, was awarded to the Spencer Dock Convention Centre Dublin Ltd (SDCCD) Consortium. The first payment to SDCCD is due from August 2010 and the annual payment will be approximately €47m a year for years 1-5 and approximately €23.9m a year from years 6-25.

News - ?713M for Nat Conference Centre

sandar

its not a bad idea but why are we paying for it, why isnt it a private sector venture?

Asparagus

The sooner it opens the better for Dublin.
Oh the demand for Large scale Conference facilities is absolutely huge at the moment - i wonder is Croke Park booked solid for the next few years or wha?

johnfás

Oh the demand for Large scale Conference facilities is absolutely huge at the moment - i wonder is Croke Park booked solid for the next few years or wha?
Different type of venue. Croke Park fits about 800, the new Convention Centre fits 3,000. They'll be seeking out a very different type of market. The Convention Centre will presumably be seeking international conferences, whereas Croke Park is used far more for domestic events.

There is a worry about capacities though. Between the new convention centre they built at CityWest with a capacity of 4,000, the National Convention Centre, the Grand Canal Theatre and the redevelopment of the o2... leaving aside the numerous hotels all throughout the city... there is certainly an over capacity issue.

Nipper

its not a bad idea but why are we paying for it, why isnt it a private sector venture?
Because they need to siphon of some of this to pay the interest on J Ronans loans in NAMA, so we can be told they are performing. Kelly is in their too with the same problem isn't he. Without these deals the developers go down and NAMA with them

Would be known as fraud anywhere else. In Ireland we don't even try to hide it anymore.

Murra

Different type of venue. Croke Park fits about 800, the new Convention Centre fits 3,000. They'll be seeking out a very different type of market. The Convention Centre will presumably be seeking international conferences, whereas Croke Park is used far more for domestic events.
Do we have the capacity in Dublin to accommodate an additional 3000 people, and do we have the necessary transport infrastructures in place??? I wouldn't have thought so?

Akrasia

Isn't Citywest in administration already?

Why would we want to build a new convention centre when the existing centres are barely keeping their heads afloat?

This seems to be an awful waste of money.

Asparagus

Ok so have we ever had a convention of 3000 people in this country.
RDS?
have we done market research to establish clear demand and projected revenue streams.
Do we know there is a global economic crisis?
Why didn't we do this 10 years ago?

Cowen and Lenihan are lagging legislators... or post horse bolt stable door closers.

johnfás

Do we have the capacity in Dublin to accommodate an additional 3000 people, and do we have the necessary transport infrastructures in place??? I wouldn't have thought so?
Half the hotels in Dublin are empty, so that is probably a yes. The new Convention Centre is actually well located - easily accessible to Busáras, DART and LUAS and not too far to walk from the City Centre.

johnfás

Cowen and Lenihan are lagging legislators... or post horse bolt stable door closers.
I don't disagree with you. But it is a totally different market to the likes of the Croke Park place.

Oh just to add to the list of over capacity, Aviva Stadium has just started conferencing as well.

Disillusioned democrat

RDS?
have we done market research to establish clear demand and projected revenue streams.

Bertie wanted it - so it was built.

Tommythecommy

Fáilte Ireland is committing half a million Euro this year to support Irish professio

Fáilte Ireland is committing half a million Euro this year to support Irish professionals to bring international conferences to this country.

Failte Ireland

Disillusioned democrat

Fáilte Ireland is committing half a million Euro this year to support Irish professionals to bring international conferences to this country.

Failte Ireland
Is that the new definition of "good money after bad".

However, if it works it'll be great - it'll keep T2 busy in Dublin Airport, fill all the NAMA-owned hotels, keep the post deregulation taxi trivers busy, fill the VFI pubs across Dublin and basically put some money back in the economy.

If it doesn't work (and I have to say, most organisation's I know are cutting back on expenditure on discretionary travel/accommodation and conferences), then it will be one of the defining monuments to the Bertescu's folly.

Tommythecommy

But we were doing 80 million of conference business last year

Is that the new definition of "good money after bad".

However, if it works it'll be great - it'll keep T2 busy in Dublin Airport, fill all the NAMA-owned hotels, keep the post deregulation taxi trivers busy, fill the VFI pubs across Dublin and basically put some money back in the economy.

If it doesn't work (and I have to say, most organisation's I know are cutting back on expenditure on discretionary travel/accommodation and conferences), then it will be one of the defining monuments to the Bertescu's folly.
But we were doing 80 million of conference business last year.
We would need to at least double or triple the business to come near breaking even on this thing.

Nothing to be gained by just sucking business from existing facilities

FlyOver

RDS?

Well have we ever had the capacity to do a 3,000 person convention??? Em, kind of the chicken and egg thing!!

I would say the timing is either way to late or way to early but in any case, I hope it works out. Need to fill those government subsidized hotel rooms with someone :rolleyes:

Asparagus

Half the hotels in Dublin are empty, so that is probably a yes. The new Convention Centre is actually well located - easily accessible to Busáras, DART and LUAS and not too far to walk from the City Centre.
Out side of public events dublin bus or the red line Luas would have very little impact on a convention centre, most huge conventions i have been too (and they have been bigger than any you have been too) had no public transport - instead the convention centre ran a free shuttle service to a number of city centre hotels / pick up points - this meant the convention centre could be built out of the city near an airport

toughbutfair

Why not just wait and see whether it is a success or not instead of whingeing about it now when we don't know?

HarshBuzz

it's open already, there were hordes of gobshytes queueing up outside last week for X-factor auditions

it's also NAMAised

johnfás

Out side of public events dublin bus or the red line Luas would have very little impact on a convention centre, most huge conventions i have been too (and they have been bigger than any you have been too) had no public transport - instead the convention centre ran a free shuttle service to a number of city centre hotels / pick up points - this meant the convention centre could be built out of the city near an airport
You fail to realise that the Convention Centre is going to be running events from a capacity of 240 up to 3000. Hence the requirement for public transport. The headline auditorium of 3,000 is only part of a complex which has a capacity of 8,000 with different sized venues dependent on the conference which is taking place.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies