• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Wealthy escaping the consequences of public policy ... again

Cato

What are we to make of this?

Swiss village chooses to pay £200,000 fine instead of accepting 10 refugees as 'they won't fit in' 

One of Europe's wealthiest villages has decided to pay a £200,000 fine instead of accepting around 10 refugees under its country's newly imposed quota.

Residents in the picturesque Swiss village of Oberwil-Lieli said they voted 'no' in a referendum on whether to accept the refugees because "they wouldn't fit in."

Andreas Glarner, the town's right-wing mayor, denies the vote was motivated by racism and said the town rejected the quota because it was not told whether the refugees were Syrians or "economic migrants from other countries."
Once again, the wealthy are using their wealth to escape the consequences of public policy. Leaving aside the question of immigration (I'm an optimist), the wealthy avoid the consequences of poor public services in education and health through private service providers, along with examples of the one above, means that those who have the greatest power and influence in society have little invested in society as they can escape the consequences of public policy.

The Field Marshal

It was a democratic decision.

Local democracy of this kind should be introduced into Ireland immediately.

ruserious

Where does the town draw the line on who fits in? The multilingual State of Switzerland is well established so presumably the town is ok with language differences. Does it come down to colour? Beliefs?

SilverSpurs

Where does the town draw the line on who fits in? The multilingual State of Switzerland is well established so presumably the town is ok with language differences. Does it come down to colour? Beliefs?
or perhaps they don't like the idea of freeloaders getting to live in the village when the existing residents worked extremely hard and made huge sacrifices to pay for their houses.

Sexual Harassment Panda

What are we to make of this?

Swiss village chooses to pay £200,000 fine instead of accepting 10 refugees as 'they won't fit in' 

Once again, the wealthy are using their wealth to escape the consequences of public policy. Leaving aside the question of immigration (I'm an optimist), the wealthy avoid the consequences of poor public services in education and health through private service providers, along with examples of the one above, means that those who have the greatest power and influence in society have little invested in society as they can escape the consequences of public policy.
They haven't escaped the consequences. They will pay a fine?

JCR

If they offered me 20 grand sterling to stay away I'd be happy enough with that :)

NYCKY

Why are the villages being offered the option to vote on these issues? It it democracy at its finest or worst?

Do the villages that vote to accept refugees get funds to help defray the costs?

Jim Car

Why are the villages being offered the option to vote on these issues? It it democracy at its finest or worst?
Because its Switzerland local and direct democracy is what they do best. Their land their rules, we can disagree but we have no right to force our ways upon them. I would say it is democracy at its finest, its just some as always and as is natural with democracy don't like the outcome of the vote.

Half Nelson

Do the villages that vote to accept refugees get funds to help defray the costs?
It's the principle of subsidiarity taken to its ultimate conclusion. We all love subsidiarity, don't we?

But shouldn't they get to vote on paying the fine? The fact that they don't indicates that this law may have been written with the rich in mind.

an innocent abroad

Well, I have never been served a meal, drink, ski's, clean hotel room by a swiss person...

All non E.U people's, very nice, professional, highly educated, multi lingual, ....

A pleasure to deal with.

farnaby

At least it's a democratic decision with some attempt at moral justification, with acceptance of a cost associated with their decision.

One suspects the majority of public policy avoidance by the wealthy is achieved via lobbying, political donations and media manipulation.

In this case it would be good if the fine is commensurable with the cost of changing the refugee destination and compensating any locality that has to take on more than planned.

freewillie

Not much so for the only gay in the village

dizillusioned

I would love to live in say..Ballsbridge but cannot afford to. Yet if through housing policy I was offered a house in Ballsbridge would I fit in? If my neighbours drove an Aston Martin and lived in a mansion, I drove a 2001 micra with a broken exhaust, would I be welcomed and "fit in" in the neighborhood ?

just a question

former wesleyan

or perhaps they don't like the idea of freeloaders getting to live in the village when the existing residents worked extremely hard and made huge sacrifices to pay for their houses.
Do you have a matinee show ?

greengoose2

I would love to live in say..Ballsbridge but cannot afford to. Yet if through housing policy I was offered a house in Ballsbridge would I fit in? If my neighbours drove an Aston Martin and lived in a mansion, I drove a 2001 micra with a broken exhaust, would I be welcomed and "fit in" in the neighborhood ?

just a question
Not during the ski season!

realistic1

but me wonders do the same "residents" usually advocate the benefits of mass immigration??? The majority of the wealthy in this State seem to be in favour of mass immigration under the guise of economic development etc, but the reality is that the wealthy are a vested interest of mass immigration.

Dame_Enda

It's true that the wealthy are shirking responsibility to share the burdens in some countries including Ireland. Refugees are never housed in Foxrock or Castleknock. On the other hand the Canton has every right to reject unproven refugees. Switzerland's cantonal system is potentially undermined by the globalism of Islamic fundamentalist identity.

Fractional Reserve

they seen the shyte thats happening with immigrants a few miles up the road , crime is on the increase

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies