Wealthy Germans ask for higher taxes

stripey cat

A group of wealthy people in Germany have petitioned the government to raise taxes on the rich.

"The path out of the crisis must be paved with massive investment in ecology, education and social justice," they say in the petition.

Those who had "made a fortune through inheritance, hard work, hard-working, successful entrepreneurship, or investment" should contribute by paying more to alleviate the crisis.
BBC NEWS | Europe | Rich Germans demand higher taxes

What do you think the chances are of something like this happening here?

jake76

Germans trust their government and public servants to spend money wisely.

Oppenheimer

I believe there was one rich person in Ireland, Michael O'Leary or perhaps Sean Quinn who did say on a Primetime programme that he pays too little tax. Its not that members of our rich would not pay more (and I know there are those who feck off to Switzerland or Majorca to pay less) its also that the incompetents in Leinster house don't listen.

locke

Warren Buffet was saying the same about the US. He reckoned he paid a lower portion of his income in tax than most of his employees did.

typical

A group of wealthy people in Germany have petitioned the government to raise taxes on the rich.

What do you think the chances are of something like this happening here?
I think there's a good chance that a group of wealthy people in Ireland might petition the government to raise taxes on the poor!! Close enough?

Grumpy Jack

Ireland's problem is not that the rich don't pay enough but that half of all workers pay nothing in income taxes and others on the lower to middle incomes by little in income tax.

A little quiz on Ireland’s income tax | Ronan Lyons

If people want to be taxed like Germany, then they should remember German tax rates are as follows.

0 Up to €8,004
14% €8,005-€52,881
42% €52,882-€250,730
45% €250,731 and over

That does not include an additional 5.5% 'solidarity tax' on all income.

German taxes are actually lower for the highest earners than here in Ireland when you include PRSI, health and income levies.

Anyone like to venture what our income tax take would be if everyone in Ireland was taxed like that?

kerdasi amaq

Income tax is state sponsored theft.

J

john moriarty

Income tax is state sponsored theft.
It's only about 100 years old as a
formal state policy. Nonetheless,
I'd be happy with a uniform, flat %,
leading ultimately (and very ideally)
to a flat amount. Even with a flat
tax rate, imagine the staff savings
administering so simple a system?
Accountants & tax advisors wouldn't
be too keen of course.

Passionateheart

Some American billionaires including Gates and Buffet asked for the same thing on themselves a few years ago! Wealthy Germans asking for this does not surprise me, because whenever I have been there I got a real sense of a country having a society, virtually the total opposite of here!

roc_

It's called maturity. The Germans have it in general. From a post this morning,

No, what we need most of all is maturity - particularly in the sense of being less passive, more independent minded, and having greater self-awareness and self control. Also in terms of developing generally a proper sense of duty and obligation towards the society we live in... And even a sense of obligation towards such ideals as truth, justice and charity.
Yeah, we have a long way to go. Instead, we hear about 'confidence' and 'we are where we are'. :roll: You know, I reckon we have the worst elites in the history of civilisation. Dickwads.

Anorakphobia

I believe there was one rich person in Ireland, Michael O'Leary or perhaps Sean Quinn who did say on a Primetime programme that he pays too little tax. Its not that members of our rich would not pay more (and I know there are those who feck off to Switzerland or Majorca to pay less) its also that the incompetents in Leinster house don't listen.
I'd prefer if Sean Quinn paid his friggin 4 billion loans we are now lumbered with rather than his poxy PAYE.

Germans know how to run an economy, we only know how to run an economy into the ground.

BTW
Is Ireland the only country in the World that recognises someone with an approx net worth of minus 3 billion as "rich"?

Panopticon

Context, people, context.

Sometimes I think people just read the headlines around here and don't question the references.

The thread would be more accurately named "44 wealthy Germans ask for higher taxes". It's not a survey, it's a petition of left-wing loudmouths with loot.

New Threads

Most Replies