Wearing the Poppy.

weepee

There has been a lot of talk today of wearing, and not wearing the Poppy.
As happens every year.

Unionist wear a Poppy to remember and celebrate Britains fallen war dead.
Nationalists dont wear a Poppy, because they see it as a Unionist and symbol of Britishness.

Is there a happy medium?

SevenStars

No.

vinoboy

Freedom of choice ,what WW2 was for , to let Sevenstars express her views .Those that wish to remember the Fallen will do so with dignity and not glorifying war but remembering the sacrifice.

SevenStars

Freedom of choice ,what WW2 was for , to let Sevenstars express her views .Those that wish to remember the Fallen will do so with dignity and not glorifying war but remembering the sacrifice.
Actually I think that ideally the south should have joined in WWII on the allied side....However it was British soldiers who made that impossible sadly.

SevenStars

This is the song...Its actually rather good.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_EmfQSGu2Y]YouTube - Ken Kerr - Ulsters Betrayal[/ame]

former wesleyan

There has been a lot of talk today of wearing, and not wearing the Poppy.
As happens every year.

Unionist wear a Poppy to remember and celebrate Britains fallen war dead.
Nationalists dont wear a Poppy, because they see it as a Unionist and symbol of Britishness.

Is there a happy medium?
Every town and village in Northern Ireland has a War Memorial with a list of the dead on it. That's why people wear the poppy.

Arracht

Every town and village in Northern Ireland has a War Memorial with a list of the dead on it. That's why people wear the poppy.
That's a non sequitir

Tullamore has one, I was there today did not see one person wearing a poppy

former wesleyan

That's a non sequitir

Tullamore has one, I was there today did not see one person wearing a poppy
There's no-one left in Tullamore with associations to the War Memorial probably. Or if there are they feel - or have been made to feel down the years - that wearing the poppy isn't the done thing.
My post was meant to say that people wear the poppy because of the existence of the War Memorials and their continuing association with them. They don't go..." I'm a Unionist and a propos of nothing I'll wear a poppy "

SevenStars

There's no-one left in Tullamore with associations to the War Memorial probably. Or if there are they feel - or have been made to feel down the years - that wearing the poppy isn't the done thing.
My post was meant to say that people wear the poppy because of the existence of the War Memorials and their continuing association with them. They don't go..." I'm a Unionist and a propos of nothing I'll wear a poppy "
I have never seen people wearing poppies in West Belfast.

former wesleyan

I have never seen people wearing poppies in West Belfast.
No sh*t Sherlock !! What did I say about being made to feel etc etc. You don't understand thuggery, do you ?

Arracht

Perhaps it's because they left behind Co Kings in favour of Co Offaly and see the war memorial as something from a bygone imperialist age, if only all of Ireland were as forward looking.

SevenStars

No sh*t Sherlock !! What did I say about being made to feel etc etc. You don't understand thuggery, do you ?
Ah yeah the old Unionist card...."The IRA dont have any support, they are terrorizing their own community who really hate them as much we do"...That was popular in the 70s wasnt it? Strange though the main Unionist stratergy was murdering random Cafalicks who were supposed to hate the IRA...:rolleyes:

Maybe it has something to do with kids being killed by plastic bullets??? :eek:

weepee

Im not so sure thats why people wear a Poppy actually. The memorials are there as a reminder to all of those locals who fell in the wars of WW1 and WW2, mostly WW1. Its also a place were those wishing to remember those 'fallen' gather on 11th of the 11th, and 'Remembrance Sunday', to pay their respects, that is also why people wear the Poppy.

The fact that those same fallen, fell wearing the uniform of the Crown is to me the reason why Nationalists dont participate, even tho, tens of thousands of Irishmen died.

There is a very large war memorial in the Belfast city cemetary, with a mass grave, and smaller memorials and plenty of 'war graves'. Although some vandalism has been done to the larger memorial during the Troubles, this was mostly by mindless louts, not by hardened Repblicans.

centauro

I've never seen anybody wear a poppy in Salford.

But then I've never been in Salford ;)
She obviously doesn't know that the Shankill, Highfield, Suffolk et al are in West Belfast...sigh

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies