'Weather Eye' columnist Brendan McWilliams dies

Irish Times columnist Brendan McWilliams (63) has died after a short illness. He was a native of Waterville, Co Kerry, and the author of the popular Weather Eye column.

An accredited chartered meteorologist, he was a former deputy director of Met √Čireann. During the 1990s, he served as director of the Programme of Expert Studies on Climate Change for the Department of the Environment.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaki ... king38.htm

His columns' wide range of subjects and stories informed and entertained thousands over the years and often offered more insight into people and society than 10 pol corrs put together. A real loss to journalism in Ireland.

Ard-Taoiseach

So that's why WeatherEye was closed the past few weeks. God rest him, he always had something interesting in the back pages of the Irish Times.

It's a terrible loss.

draiocht23

I am really sad to hear that. I used to turn eagerly to his column every day - I don't know how he managed to come with interesting weather-related tidbits and historical facts every time he penned the column. RIP

Estragon

Sad news. The most interesting thing in the Irish Times by a country mile. May he rest in peace.

Ard-Taoiseach

draiocht23 said:
I am really sad to hear that. I used to turn eagerly to his column every day - I don't know how he managed to come with interesting weather-related tidbits and historical facts every time he penned the column. RIP
Indeed, you could study meteorology just by learning his daily dose.

Kf

Thats a shame, have glazed over his column for years, I once spotted a subject I was interetsed in and after that I was hooked. A great writer.

G

Gimpanzee

Probably the only 'must-read' column in the paper. He'll be missed.

Eddiepops

He'll be missed, he often gave important environmental issues a heads up in his column in an informative and undidactic way.

Ard-Taoiseach

Gimpanzee said:
Probably the only 'must-read' column in the paper. He'll be missed.
Yeah, I've had withdrawal symptoms over the past fortnight, what'll we do? Get ireland.com subscriptions to keep hooked?

Pauli

RIP. A master of his subject, a subject he imparted in a simple manner to make it easily understandable. A rare quality. He will be missed.

Coles

Sad news. I enjoyed his column over the years. May he rest in peace.

ectoraige

Website
www.helgrim.com
RIP. He had a remarkable talent at making a sometimes difficult subject clear and understandable. He understood very much that the fallability of science lies in the humanity of those who practice it. He will be missed.

That's terrible news. Probably the best writer overall in the Times, always something interesting to say. Single-handedly convinced me of the perils of global warming; I felt I couldn't ignore it once I knew where he stood on the issue. RIP.

ibis

RIP. I'll miss the column, and he probably did more for science than many higher-profile writers.

Boss Croker

Website
www.shergar.com
Kf said:
Thats a shame, have glazed over his column for years, I once spotted a subject I was interetsed in and after that I was hooked. A great writer.
I had a similar experience. Ignored him for years, but discovered him about a year ago and became a regular. Often, the first thing I'd read on the 'Times'.

BTW, those back pages of the 'Times' hide a number of other fine columns - O Muirithe on words and O Riain on place names. Surely, they could be moved to Saturday's page 2, instead of the Presbyterian and C of I Notes?

The whole layout of those back pages and their features is a joke.

RIP to Brendan McWilliams.

Boss Croker

Website
www.shergar.com
905 said:
That's terrible news. Probably the best writer overall in the Times, always something interesting to say. Single-handedly convinced me of the perils of global warming; I felt I couldn't ignore it once I knew where he stood on the issue. RIP.
Same here!

Joe Ryan

Brendan had the real skill of being able to explain something difficult in a clear and concise way. He was a real scientist! I seem to remember him from RTE Weather many moons ago. A sad loss

Joe Ryan said:
Brendan had the real skill of being able to explain something difficult in a clear and concise way. He was a real scientist! I seem to remember him from RTE Weather many moons ago. A sad loss
I think that was the central genius of his writing - an ability to discuss a diverse range of topics in the clear, simple language that only those that really know what they are talking about ever use.

Setting out from a seemingly mundane aspect of the climate or the weather it was always a pleasure to see what unexpected and unexplored side road of history or humanity he would wander down. And no less fascinating when he focused purely on the weather and made you realise it wasn't so mundane afterall! May he rest in peace.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies