Weatherspoons Official UK boycotts of EU alcohol (according to DE)

wexfordman

Not sure what to make of this one

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/973672/Wetherspoons-ban-eu-beer-champagne-brexit-news-tim-martin

Weatherspoons to ban beverages from the EU

There may well be other business try and do the same sort of thing, I predict minimal impact, although the likes of westherspoons clientele would probably appreciate the move.

And to think this crowd operate in Ireland, should we not boycott in return this particular establishments premises in Ireland. Not an issue for me, I've never darkened their doorway.

Last edited:

Tribal

Can we boycott Spoons Ireland please?

Mitsui2

Be interesting to see whether their Irish branches follow suit.

In fact, if they're so anti-EU, it'll be interesting to see whether they still have Irish branches post-Brexit... possibly serving high-tariff imported British knockoffs of Belgian, Dutch and German beers.

wexfordman

Well the only thing is, it's a Daily Express article so should probably be taken with a pinch of salt, the headlines rarely reflect the actual content of the story accurately

Vega1447

Yeah let's boycott Weatherspoons. Not that I've ever been in one anyway.
I've been in their "40 foot" branch in Dun Laoghaire.

S41t microwaved/reheated food & not cheap for what you get.

Nice staff but very limited choice of beer etc.

I won't be there again, pity because the view is great.

Sync

God the Express is a rag. That's not "banning" anything. It's a private enterprise reassessing its product. Which they're perfectly entitled to do.

Another wonderful example of their quality in that link btw: "Top Gear: Jeremy Clarkson to RETURN to show with James May."

Click on the link and the headline when you get there is "Top Gear: Jeremy Clarkson to RETURN to show with James May and Richard Hammond?"

Such garbage.

Last edited:

Morgellons

The one in Cork, Linen Weaver is ok. In fairness, the staff are very good. It gets a bit samey though, haven't been there for a while now.

Alphonse

Plenty of other news outlets covering this story. They are entitled to do what they liked though and it may even make economic sense.

Tribal

Well imports for the eurozone are going to be more expensive for his UK outlets so I can see the business argument for more local beers.

Had to meet people in a Spoons a few weeks ago (not my choice I'm afraid) but it was possibly the worst guinness I've ever tasted. The place was full of gammon.

Vega1447

Well imports for the eurozone are going to be more expensive for his UK outlets so I can see the business argument for more local beers.

Had to meet people in a Spoons a few weeks ago (not my choice I'm afraid) but it was possibly the worst guinness I've ever tasted. The place was full of gammon.
Are you sure that it was Guinness? Last time I was in the 40 foot branch they only had Beamish.

Morgellons

Are you sure that it was Guinness? Last time I was in the 40 foot branch they only had Beamish.
That's correct-they don't sell Guinness products.

SEAMAI

The one in Cork, Linen Weaver is ok. In fairness, the staff are very good. It gets a bit samey though, haven't been there for a while now.
If I was ever tempted to cross their threshold the scummy element sitting outside on Paul Street would stop me.

Tribal

This was in sasana. Anytime I pass a Spoons over here they seem packed with Mail and Express touting gammon headed fat bald blokes and their equally fat birds. They are what is going to crash the NHS.

wexfordman

Plenty of other news outlets covering this story. They are entitled to do what they liked though and it may even make economic sense.
Erm, I don't think anyone is claiming they are not entitled to do so, where do you get the impression that people say they are not ?

Gin Soaked

Be interesting to see whether their Irish branches follow suit.

In fact, if they're so anti-EU, it'll be interesting to see whether they still have Irish branches post-Brexit... possibly serving high-tariff imported British knockoffs of Belgian, Dutch and German beers.
Actually, this corporate brainfart should precipitate a boycott of their naff pubs. The more their clientele know of their bigotry the better. Nothing like empty pubs in the run up to the world cup.....

'orebel

Northsideman

Irish Rip Off Publicans fought tooth and nail to keep Weatherspoons out of Ireland, they are the Ryan Air of boozers, folk have a choice which is good, make up your own mind.

New Threads

Most Replies