Weatherspoons Official UK boycotts of EU alcohol (according to DE)

TheWexfordInn

In the UK its very working class combined with binge drinkers at the weekends. I was in the one in Newmarket last Friday night. £1.99 for a pint of Bulmers/Magners - how bad! It was directly across the road from the hotel I was staying in.
Ive just home having been in a Wetherspoons in the West End, oppisite Victoria Station. £4.30 for a pint of Stella. Which is not astonishingly cheap but compared to the prices that are in pubs around that area its cheap. And its super cheap if you compare it to the likes of the prices in Temple Bar which I would suggest is a comparable location in Dublin.

firefly123

I was in the one in swords.
The old schoolhouse or something.
It was grand but very bright. Like a hotel bar or a waiting room.

Cheap bevvies though before you move on to the nicer pub

wexfordman

Sheesh, people actually looking for value for money? Peasants.

Unlike Celtic Tiger graduates like you who insist on paying a couple of extra Euro for each drink who show how sophisticated and generally non-peasant they are as they pay rip off prices to get exactly the same as what you could get cheaper in Wetherspoons 100 metres down the road. On their once a month to their local pub which will have closed down next month.
I wouldn't darken their door, cos I just dint like the idea of chain pubs, and I particularly dislike this companies owner.

I prefer to give my customer to a local pub, but also tend to stay clear of the ones that offer you nothing .ore than an expensive pint.

I hope weatherspoons don't take foothold in Ireland toa significant extent tbh

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
They sell Guinness in the UK.
Sorry, sir: Guinness sold in England just don't 'ave the proper taste.

That's because, for years, it came out of Park Royal (think nearby Hanger Lane Gyratory) — at the time the biggest brewery by output in the world. Somehow, for those of us educated on the true St James flavour, it still tasted London NW10. Remember, folks — what Reading and Slough flush today, London drinks tomorrow.

Even now, I'm convinced Diageo are modifying the brew for the degenerate Saxon taste. But then, the only true Guinness was that provided, mid-60s, in McDaid's, Harry Street (with Paddy Kavanagh nodding to doziness on the banquette opposite).

Alphonse

Something like this may happen in Canada that is buying Canadian made versions of products over American ones. That will support the local economy but also be cheaper for the consumer as there would be no tariff added. It reminds of the guaranteed Irish logo but it seems of course that the owner of weatherspoons is personally a supporter of Brexit.

Tribal

Sheesh, people actually looking for value for money? Peasants.
For fúcks sake, value for money is the cheapest naggin under a canal bridge.

Spoons is just that with a roof and doors. They have as much atmosphere as a Cromwellian barracks.

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
In other news, Charlie Mullins has suffered a setback to his gig economy model for plumbers.

Now whats that got to do with Wetherspoons?..Well Charlie of 'Pimlico plumbers', and Tim Martin of Wetherspoons dominate the business support for Brexit (Martin) and Remain (Charlie) like a proper pair of little Titans.
To think Mullins gave the Tories some £75,000 — and all he got in return was a CBE! Perhaps he flushed the Cameron bog for a discount, though.

And then there's the Mullins' barnet: should we believe that on a going-on-66yr old? Those blue pills must have side-effects.

raetsel

I was in the one in swords.
The old schoolhouse or something.
It was grand but very bright. Like a hotel bar or a waiting room.

Cheap bevvies though before you move on to the nicer pub
Give it 10 years without a lick of paint or new carpets or upholstery - that's their model in the north.

GDPR

Ive just home having been in a Wetherspoons in the West End, oppisite Victoria Station. £4.30 for a pint of Stella. Which is not astonishingly cheap but compared to the prices that are in pubs around that area its cheap. And its super cheap if you compare it to the likes of the prices in Temple Bar which I would suggest is a comparable location in Dublin.
I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who drinks in a Wetherspoons.

TheWexfordInn

I wouldn't darken their door, cos I just dint like the idea of chain pubs, and I particularly dislike this companies owner.

I prefer to give my customer to a local pub, but also tend to stay clear of the ones that offer you nothing .ore than an expensive pint.

I hope weatherspoons don't take foothold in Ireland toa significant extent tbh
I totally get what you are saying and if you are actually walking the walk and not just talking the talk ie if you are actually regularly spending your money in that local along with others meaning it remains open as a viable business then thats great.

I too would prefer a world with lots of viable distinctive local pubs.

But the reality is that for an awful lot of people the cost of a meal and a few pints in that local means that going to visit that distinctive local is an occasional special event meaning that pub doesnlt have the business to stay open.

NativeWildCat

Bar Erdinger most of their best drinks come from outside the EU anyway. It's good publicity without losing much.

raetsel

Victoria Station? Were you visiting Liz and Phil down the road, by any chance?:)

Dearghoul

Spoons is just that with a roof and doors. They have as much atmosphere as a Cromwellian barracks.
:p

They do try though, with the history of the area lessons on the wall.

We have Kitty O Shea and Edith Nesbitt, which is good enough to be going on with.

Do Wetherspoons in Ireland do this, or would it put you off your 'real ale'?

TheWexfordInn

I dunno what you are talking about.
The only spoons in Ireland I know is the Three Tun Tavern in Blackrock.

To me it is exactly the same as the various other pubs along the Main Street other than the fact the prices of drink is cheaper, the service is quicker and the choice of draught beer/lager is greater.

Can you tell me what it exactly is the difference in "atmosphere" that those other pubs in the vicinity have that the Wetherspoons doesnt have as to me I have no clue.

Because the only difference I have seen in all my visits there is recent years compared with visits over previous years/decades to the others is that there is always more of a crowd with thus more of a buzz in Wetherspoons than in all of those other pubs.

GDPR

Wetherspoons for FFS?

Last time I was in England, Exeter now you are asking, me and my girlfriend were horrified.

So we said this isnt a booze hall, we started off down the road out of town, found some nice gentlemen who were a bit older than us like maybe 20 years, and said "Where do you drink mates?"

And they said "Well come along with us" and they took us to a proper pub, you could smoke in it, outside Bodmin.

Although it did have an Aussie barman, but thats like a law or something.

Morgellons

Wetherspoons for FFS?

Last time I was in England, Exeter now you are asking, me and my girlfriend were horrified.

So we said this isnt a booze hall, we started off down the road out of town, found some nice gentlemen who were a bit older than us like maybe 20 years, and said "Where do you drink mates?"

And they said "Well come along with us" and they took us to a proper pub, you could smoke in it, outside Bodmin.

Although it did have an Aussie barman, but thats like a law or something.
Fascinating.....

raetsel

Bar Erdinger most of their best drinks come from outside the EU anyway.
You've led a very sheltered existence, or else you're a pimply 17 year old who had his first pint last week.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom