• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Web & New Media= IFSC 2.0 for Ireland

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
There's been a success story bubbling up here for a long while now, in that Ireland, chiefly Dublin, is attracting a "critical mass" of Web & New Media companies, today we see Google adding another 200 jobs saying this

RTÉ News: Google to create 200 jobs in Dublin
Dublin is rapidly becoming the multilingual internet capital of Europe and Google is proud to be leading the charge on this and further increasing our presence here,' David Martin, the company's director of Geo Operations in Europe, said.
To date Google, Yahoo, eBay, Facebook, LinkedIN and more have picked Dublin as their European centre of operations. This has all happened without any significant government involvement- and now Dublin is in pole position for any such company looking for a European base. Thousands of good quality office jobs, employing people and pumping tax revenue (PRSI & Income) back into our economy.

This is a success that we should salute - but can we build on it ? For example:
  • More tailored university courses
  • Innovative legislation around privacy & identity management
  • Other ideas ?

cYp

fluffykontbiscuits

Just to add something in relation to the University tailored courses. I did the cert in Bioanalysis in IT Tallaght a few years ago and the course content was mostly designed I understand by Pfizer (Wyeth at the time) and the skills it gave could be used in Industry. I suppose we should have a forum of web and media companies whom should produce a list of the skills needed so that the students who study can walk into any of the aforementioned companies above and indeed any other companies.

goosebump

To date Google, Yahoo, eBay, Facebook, LinkedIN and more have picked Dublin as their European centre of operations. This has all happened without any significant government involvement
Corporation Tax = 12.5% + 20% Tax Credit for R&D which can be offset against group wide profits + Tax Treaty with the US IRS.

Analyzer

Too much noise and the imperialists in Brussels will up the ante on corporate tax rates.

Bear in mind that the French basketcase model government is getting very annoyed over this already, and gets jealous easily.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Too much noise and the imperialists in Brussels will up the ante on corporate tax rates.

Bear in mind that the French basketcase model government is getting very annoyed over this already, and gets jealous easily.
I'd agree re both the jealousy and desire to make us raise tax rate, but at this stage, as with the original IFSC (Funds/Custody) : we have a critical mass of talented workforce which makes Ireland a destination of choice for new companies

And all of this has been achieved with little or no specific state initiative (unlike the original IFSC)

cYp

Last edited:

Suttree

Just to add something in relation to the University tailored courses. I did the cert in Bioanalysis in IT Tallaght a few years ago and the course content was mostly designed I understand by Pfizer (Wyeth at the time) and the skills it gave could be used in Industry. I suppose we should have a forum of web and media companies whom should produce a list of the skills needed so that the students who study can walk into any of the aforementioned companies above and indeed any other companies.
EMC did something similar with my post-grad in UCC; a good portion of my class work for them or subsidiaries now.

clearmurk

I'd agree re both the jealousy and desire to make us raise tax rate, but at this stage, as with the original IFSC (Funds/Custody) : we have a critical mass of talented workforce which makes Ireland a destination of choice for new companies

And all of this has been achieved with little or no specific state initiative (unlike the original IFSC)

cYp
Sure, they're coming here for our talented workforce.....

Google pays just 0.14% tax in seven years - Independent.ie

wexfordman

A serious hickup in these plans are a shortage of good programmers with the right qualifications in Dublin. We're trying to hire at the moment and only one Irish resident has applied so far.

It would help if the government gave some tax discounts to foreign programmers who move here. Holland has a system like this.
Sorry, why give it exclusively to foreign programmers ? Its like admitting that our taxes are too high, and then giving a break to a certain group.

How about just sort out our tax overall!
How about proper upskilling and education programs for adults, irish or not.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
The NYT feature article on the Silicon Docks has been picked up by the IT :
New York Times takes a different view on Ireland - Technology Industry News | Market & Trends | The Irish Times - Mon, Jan 06, 2014
The article also bemoans the difficulty in trying to hire well-qualified Irish engineers and developers, quoting Petter Made, a Swedish co-founder of the payments startup SumUp, who says that the company’s 35-person Dublin based team includes just “a few Irish developers”.
The above shortage is pretty poor and points towards reskilling needed.

cYp

Mad as Fish

Mad as Fish

I'm adequately skilled

It is the unemployed, inlcuding many recent graduates, who are not

cYp
When it comes to IT skills I think it's fair to say that unless people find their own way there through inclination and innate ability then they are not going to be that good at it. This argument has been rehearsed many times here and the feeling amongst many is that you cannot drum coding skills into people by rote. The 'unemployed' is made up of individuals with differing abilities and interests, it is not some lump of clay that can be moulded by direction from central planning to suit a grand five year plan.

paulp

When it comes to IT skills I think it's fair to say that unless people find their own way there through inclination and innate ability then they are not going to be that good at it. This argument has been rehearsed many times here and the feeling amongst many is that you cannot drum coding skills into people by rote. The 'unemployed' is made up of individuals with differing abilities and interests, it is not some lump of clay that can be moulded by direction from central planning to suit a grand five year plan.
true, but you can re-train someone with an unrelated degree, eg. someone with a degree in construction studies can typically change over

Mad as Fish

true, but you can re-train someone with an unrelated degree, eg. someone with a degree in construction studies can typically change over
If they wish to, then yes, but as I pointed out earlier, unless they are good at it and really want to do it they will probably not be of much use to employers looking for programmers and coders rather than data input clerks. And if they are so inclined then they are probably already doing it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies