Weekend public urination by young men

patslatt

The habit of young males urinating fairly openly (as opposed to finding a quiet spot around a corner) in public on weekend nights has declined since the Celtic Tiger in my opinion,but this antisocial behaviour is still far too common.A popular spot for this in Dublin is by the railings on Stephens Green north. Since the location is close to pubs and cafes with toilet facilities,those dimwitted males appear to be making a statement or statements:

I'm drunk and having great craic.

I'm expressing contempt for social manners and feel liberated.

I'm antiestablishment (dimwitted students?).

Look how sexually liberated I am,I do this when women are approaching.

I witnessed the arrest on the Green by Gardai of one young urinator,but I suspect they didn't charge him.It would be a good idea if the Gardai did bring charges and even better if the media reported on court proceedings. Naming and shaming them might put a stop to this antisocial habit.

I'm sure few readers of P.ie (!) engage in this antisocial behaviour but if they know any male who does, warn them not to do it in America or Canada. Aggressive American cops could easily charge them with indecent exposure, a serious crime. From Wikipedia:

In the fifty states of the United States indecent exposure is defined by state law as exposure of the genitals and/or the female breast in a public place and may in some states require evidence of intent to shock, arouse or offend other persons. The act is prohibited by state laws titled variously as Indecent Exposure, Sexual Misconduct, Public Lewdness, and Public Indecency. It is a criminal offense in all fifty states and is punishable by fines and/or imprisonment, and in some states a conviction results in having to register as a sex offender.

In some countries at weekend the city council puts out public urinals in the street at or close to where they know there would be a problem and seems to solve the problem.

The Collective.

How about banning digs from peeing on the street? Sorry dude when nature calls, I'm going to tinkle. Am I going to wait ages queing for a club, paying €10 just to pee? Feck that! Its free to pee!

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
I'm not sure what the Gardaí could charge them with. Public indecency maybe - but unless they were exposing themselves provocatively in addition to relieving themselves, I doubt they'd get anywhere with it.

On the other hand, local authorities can introduce by-laws in this area, so perhaps you should get on to DCC patslatt to see what they can do.

patslatt

The Collective. said:
How about banning digs from peeing on the street? Sorry dude when nature calls, I'm going to tinkle. Am I going to wait ages queing for a club, paying €10 just to pee? Feck that! Its free to pee!
There are plenty of pubs and cafes with toilets near that location on the Green ,so it's not about the urgent need to urinate.

Aindriu

This is all taking the p1ss! (excuse the pun) Many continental countries accept this type of behaviour without problem as long as no gonads are on display. Councils should provide sufficient facilities for both genders.

Twin Towers

odie1kanobe said:
In some countries at weekend the city council puts out public urinals in the street at or close to where they know there would be a problem and seems to solve the problem.
The sensible way to go.

patslatt

odie1kanobe said:
That would be asking too much initiative from Dublin City Council. For example, the council that allowed O'Connell St to be a building site for what seemed like five years or more. Why didn't the council just close off the street and get the various contractors to do their work in a year or so?

johnfás

AXL ROSE said:
I don't think that there is a single public toilet in Dublin.
Aren't we getting one now in return for handing over several hundres advertising places free of charge?

patslatt

Aindriu said:
This is all taking the p1ss! (excuse the pun) Many continental countries accept this type of behaviour without problem as long as no gonads are on display. Councils should provide sufficient facilities for both genders.
It can be hard not to display it in the case of the well endowed. Fortunately, well endowed Africans are not participants in Dublin!

johnfás

patslatt said:
It can be hard not to display it in the case of the well endowed. Fortunately, well endowed Africans are not participants in Dublin!
Crikey!

Casualbets

One Surefire Way to prevent recidivism....

Offenders to have their penises compared and commented on.

On National TV.

By Graham Norton.

Casualbets said:

On National TV.

By Graham Norton.
How Touching or

Could that be called a master stroke at prevention.

badinage

patslatt said:
the council that allowed O'Connell St to be a building site for what seemed like five years or more. Why didn't the council just close off the street and get the various contractors to do their work in a year or so?
:? and have the taxpayer compensate all the businesses on O'Connell for a year's worth of lost earnings each?

Defeated Romanticist

Casualbets said:

On National TV.

By Graham Norton.
No I'd prefer a sandwich board, the humiliation would be more intense

Rich OC

Website
www.twitter.com
It is a right of passage, its part of our cultural heritage. Next you will be looking for us to stop us all picking our noses in the car.

First Tara, now this where will the cultural denuding of our country end.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies