• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

mr_anderson

Levellers

Well past his sell by date.

Redacted deeply regrets giving him such a long contract at Newstalk.

hammer

jmcc

Last edited:
Last edited:
Didn't even know it existed.
That's a big problem with a lot of these shows. Nobody is ever quite sure about what percentage of the audience is watching because they didn't bother switching to another channel. That's one potential reason why the ratings for some radio programmes are so oddly high. With TV3 the soaps may be the most popular shows and the PK show was a bit of an anomaly (cardboard RTE programme on wrong channel. People still stayed with RTE,) Purely from the lack of Social Media commentary, many people didn't bother watching the show and watched RTE programmes. No mention of "Tonight with the two and a half Dinnies".

valamhic

Banned
Do you remember when he went from RTE to ?????? about 5 years ago there was a big debate as to how many listeners he would pull. I don't think anyone is listening to those type programmes any more.

Golden Phoenix

Hardly surprising. He was yesterday's man many a yesterday ago.
I disagree. He's the country's most experienced and versatile broadcaster, particularly strong on politics and current affairs and is way ahead of younger broadcasters.

I just cringe when I hear Miriam or Claire on RTE.

jmcc

Wonder what his numbers are like on Newstalk?

mr. jings

I disagree. He's the country's most experienced and versatile broadcaster, particularly strong on politics and current affairs and is way ahead of younger broadcasters.

Current affairs is definitely his strength, but I think his blade dulled over the years.

jmcc

That doesn't matter if he wasn't getting the audience figures.

It seems that Claire Byrne is going to be the replacement for Miriam O'Callaghan. It has been obvious for years.

jmcc

Current affairs is definitely his strength, but I think his blade dulled over the years.
On radio, perhaps. On TV, people still want some drama. With Kenny's shows, most of that happened in spite of Kenny rather than because of him. For a drama driven station like TV3, that's fatal. A generalist channel like RTE One can support that kind of programme due to its audience. TV3 cannot.

jmcc

People seem to like him a lot on radio. Not my cup of tea, but that's what the buttons on the radio are for!
Rarely listen to radio but his show did seem to be a lot better than the competition. Still have some reservations about the JNLR figures and it might be that Kenny still has a high personal following that did migrate with him from RTE.

mr. jings

On radio, perhaps. On TV, people still want some drama. With Kenny's shows, most of that happened in spite of Kenny rather than because of him. For a drama driven station like TV3, that's fatal. A generalist channel like RTE One can support that kind of programme due to its audience. TV3 cannot.

I really miss Vinnie. When that was nuts it was nuts, when it was dull it was dull, but when it was cooking it was electric.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom