• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Welcome to Politics.ie

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Politics.ie changes from today. No longer are we going to manually add the stories from the various political sources each day, we're going to start linking to them elsewhere online. What we're also going to do is use this section of the site, The Wire, as the main 'Features' section of Politics.ie.

Welcome to the new Politics.ie

Shanachie

What will the Features section be comprised of ?

Can it be used by the general membership to post items of interest ?

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Righto,

Basically, The Wire will power the news that appears on the homepage of Politics.ie. It will be edited and maintained primarily by myself, and I hope to enlist the support of the content teamsters to set content as well.

If a discussion we think is *really* interesting gets going, it'll be moved to 'The Wire' in the hope it will get more coverage and contributions.

What The Wire will also serve as is the Editorial section of the site, where myself and other selected contributors can select articles either elsewhere online, or on the discussion boards, that warrant more attention that normal.

User of the site will not be able to start threads in The Wire, but they are free to reply as with other discussions.

How's that?

flakie

Website
www.irishanimals.ie
This is great. I think ambitious posters will be more likely to try and make their threads "Wire-worthy"...

For instance, I can't see that we would stick a thread up on the Wire if the spelling and grammar were poor, and obviously the premise and invitation to discuss would have to be sensible, well written and interesting.

I think this is a good move that will hopefully "raise the bar" for contributions.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
The thing about 'Wire' threads is that it's the first contribution that'll kick start things.

We'll be introducing a 'karma' system in the next few months to allow users to earn ratings based on their contributions. Clearly this kind of thing would enhance their ratings.

Bogwarrior

I preferred the old forum format, when the most recent post was bumped up to the top, on the news front page. It was a lot quicker. Now I have to enter the forum, search for a category, find a topic, then try and find an ongoing debate. it's more time consuming.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Top left of each forum page is a link called 'Latest' which gives you an extensive list of ongoing discussions.

Seriously guys, alot of people have IMed me this morning about it.

Just look, it's there!!!!!

krayZpaving

Website
www.keith.gs
David Cochrane said:
We'll be introducing a 'karma' system in the next few months to allow users to earn ratings based on their contributions. Clearly this kind of thing would enhance their ratings.
Be careful with this - I can see a "karma war" starting between certain people! ;)

Parnell

It'll take a bit of getting used to, and I think it should raise the standard. Re time consuming - using the psts since your last visit button can help here. Maybe that feature could be put onto the home page?

joe672005

David Cochrane said:
The thing about 'Wire' threads is that it's the first contribution that'll kick start things.

Cool does this mean that cause people want my thread about Dick Roche becoming taoiseach on the wire I get a free indian.

BTW I prefer Naan Bread to rice

stringjack

Then the LORD rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah - from the LORD out of the heavens. Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, including all those living in the cities - and also the vegetation in the land.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
It's not possible to start a thread in 'The Wire' unless you're me. Or failing that, if you're a member of the content team.

If you begin a discussion and your commentary is of a certain standard, it'll be added to The Wire if we think it's good enough. Simple as that.

Reece

Andrew-formerly'Danny' said:
What I fear is that this less simple format will scare of new members.
Not a chance, look forward to the 'higher-brow(ser)' content promised by this delightful enhancement! Should make for a whole new experience - on-line!

A word of caution - just because a member is 'new', i.e., a relatively small number of posts, does not mean that they are novices to posts and posting, threads and threading(?), blogs and blogging and debating in cyberspace.

They may be survivors of less well conducted fora looking for new challenges!

Website
Greenparty.ie
Reece said:
Andrew-formerly'Danny' said:
What I fear is that this less simple format will scare of new members.
Not a chance, look forward to the 'higher-brow(ser)' content promised by this delightful enhancement! Should make for a whole new experience - on-line!

A word of caution - just because a member is 'new', i.e., a relatively small number of posts, does not mean that they are novices to posts and posting, threads and threading(?), blogs and blogging and debating in cyberspace.

They may be survivors of less well conducted fora looking for new challenges!
When I say 'new' I mean just stumbled upon politics.ie by accident, who may not be encouraged to join because it doesnt look as convenient as the old format.

smiffy

Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
[quote="Andrew-formerly'Danny'" When I say 'new' I mean just stumbled upon politics.ie by accident, who may not be encouraged to join because it doesnt look as convenient as the old format.[/quote]

If they've only stumbled upon it by accident, how would they know what the old format looked like?