Well, hello Mary Lou

Niall996

I'm not a shinner myself, but I think this is a move in the right direction for the party. Mary Lou is a bright, capable woman and if it encourages the old guard to retire it will be a good thing.
I'm not a shinner either and I never liked Mary Lou's dry grating pious snarling from the sidelines although I will enjoy her using that ability in laying into traitors and saboteurs like Eoghan Harris and Ruth Dudley Edwards. I'm surprised someone from the South could genuinely lead a party so 'Northern' in it's orientation and raison d'être let's say. But there you go. Interesting times ahead.

Niall996

Only Sinn Fein can break the one party state that is ffg .

How ffg can masquerade as two parties is beyond belief ! ?
Brilliant concept though. It kept the left out of politics for most of the last century.

GDPR

I'm not a shinner myself, but I think this is a move in the right direction for the party. Mary Lou is a bright, capable woman and if it encourages the old guard to retire it will be a good thing.
The old guard are leaving due to inevitable old age, so perhaps the SF will soon be relatively untainted? It may well become a political force in the 26 counties as the other main parties will lose their main self-serving "argument" against SF.

ruserious

The old guard are leaving due to inevitable old age, so perhaps the SF will soon be relatively untainted? It may well become a political force in the 26 counties as the other main parties will lose their main self-serving "argument" against SF.
You will always have the Princelings emerging from YFG spouting holier than thou statements about how SF are not fit to lead, promoting themselves as constitutional nationalists; meanwhile not doing one damn thing to progress unity.

JimmyFoley

Anyway, if Mary Lou is serious about leaving her mark, she'd want to get moving. She's not far off 50, so time is certainly not on her side.

GDPR

You will always have the Princelings emerging from YFG spouting holier than thou statements about how SF are not fit to lead, promoting themselves as constitutional nationalists; meanwhile not doing one damn thing to progress unity.
The voters may not believe them from now on. They may prefer a fresh, new party to try out.

(I hope SF has fixed its economic policy)

Spanner Island

It's official, she's president elect. I predict nothing much at all.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0120/934704-mcdonald-sinn-fein/

A panic reaction to Martin's speech on repealing the 8th?
Oh God... :roll:

I guess it was always on the cards...

I hope she gets some lessons on how to lose some of her more annoying habits going forward...

Her tone is often feckin' awful for one...

On the potential bright side though... we do see less of Gerry than we do of Mary Lou so it'd be nice if this trend continued once she's in place...

theloner

How de feck did this happen? :lol:

Niall996

This is a good opportunity for a complete brand overhaul. They do tend to look like something from a 1980's D'Unbelievables sketch.Or a 1970's Hall's Pictorial Weekly gag. Time to modernise, refresh, reboot. Energise the UI vision and hopefully ditch the Marxist extremism.

devoutcapitalist

This is a good opportunity for a complete brand overhaul. They do tend to look like something from a 1980's D'Unbelievables sketch.Or a 1970's Hall's Pictorial Weekly gag. Time to modernise, refresh, reboot. Energise the UI vision and hopefully ditch the Marxist extremism.
It will be interesting to see whether or not Mary Lou turns SF into a Social Democratic Party.

GDPR

The policy that involves reversing all the spending cuts and getting rid of property tax and all the rest, without imposing any tax increases on 97% of the population? That policy?
You tell me. I understand SF was heavily influenced by Marxism, something that Corbyn and his cronies are reviving in the UK and about which I am not entirely happy. I'd like the renationalisation of the railways though.