• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Well that's William Hay Gone

Iarmhi Gael

He gave an interview with BBC radio Foyle in which he said that he will support some protests in his area and will even protest with them.

He has broken Assembley rules as to the position of the speaker in which he is only supposed to give interviews to the press in relation to his role of assembly speaker.

Glaucon

He gave an interview with BBC radio Foyle in which he said that he will support some protests in his area and will even protest with them.

He has broken Assembley rules as to the position of the speaker in which he is only supposed to give interviews to the press in relation to his role of assembly speaker.
Disappointing and unprofessional behaviour from the speaker. He should be removed immediately.

Iarmhi Gael

Disappointing and unprofessional behaviour from the speaker. He should be removed immediately.
I think there is a clear rule in which the speaker must not speak with the media as regards such stuff. You know William Hay gets a taxi up and down from Derry every day. 3 Drivers in cab company in question rotate the golden egg contract.

Glaucon

He's blatantly ignored the rules of the office of speaker, and, furthermore, is totally compromised as regards any Stormont debate on the issue going forward.

Silly man.

sowhat

Probably showing his insecurity being a unionist from Derry, an over 80% nationalist city:) Time for a nationalist assembly speaker??

Schomberg

Probably showing his insecurity being a unionist from Derry, an over 80% nationalist city:) Time for a nationalist assembly speaker??
William Hay is from Donegal you muppet. I'd imagine he's quite comfortable being surrounded by hostile majorities.

Last edited:

sowhat

William Hay is from Donegal you muppet.
He`s an Assembly man for Derry city you twat. Actually, the sole unionist representative for Derry city these days I`m afraid.
Yes, unionists can only manage 1 seat out of 6 seats in Derry city compared to 5 nationalist representatives..no wonder he is so insecure.

Schomberg

He`s an Assembly man for Derry city you twat. Actually, the sole unionist representative for Derry city these days I`m afraid.
Yes, unionists can only manage 1 seat out of 6 seats in Derry city compared to 5 nationalist representatives..no wonder he is so insecure.
A Donegal Prod insecure around fenians? Such a new experience for him I'm sure. Get a grip you pointless eejit..

eskrimador

He's not gone. They would have to have a vote and as we have seen of late, most unionists will back him

C

Castle Ray

He's not gone. They would have to have a vote and as we have seen of late, most unionists will back him
Agree. If he broke the rules then he should have to stand down or be removed but Unionist parties will be back him whatever that takes.

His performance to date as Speaker has been excellent and he is well regarded by all parties. It'll be interesting to see if the Nats move against him as they seemingly like him and consider him to conduct his role well.

However, was he not due to step down during this Assembly anyway? Maybe this is a parting shot from him?

Mackers

He seemed to be well respected by all. I hope he reflects on this decision.

Ren84

A pity. I've always thought him to be one of the more saner unionists around.

physicist

William Hay is from Donegal you muppet. I'd imagine he's quite comfortable being surrounded by hostile majorities.
How would you know if Donegal is more hostile to Unionism and British identity than Derry is?

It really isn't a big deal who you are in the Republic, Donegal has a lot more to be bothered with.

It's like saying an Irish Republican would feel more alienated in Liverpool than in North Down ... he probably wouldn't.

physicist

Agree. If he broke the rules then he should have to stand down or be removed but Unionist parties will be back him whatever that takes.

His performance to date as Speaker has been excellent and he is well regarded by all parties. It'll be interesting to see if the Nats move against him as they seemingly like him and consider him to conduct his role well.

However, was he not due to step down during this Assembly anyway? Maybe this is a parting shot from him?
It is a shame, I've had family members work with him and he really is a decent man. I agree his performance has been for the most part has been excellent, I do have a few issues with the treatment of Dominic Bradley trying to speak in Irish, but otherwise he has been a credit to his party and indeed to my homeland constituency in Foyle.

He performed excellently in particular over the last week, chairing the debate of party leaders over the flag issue (shame McClarty as an Independent couldn't have a say) and showed how a pluralist democracy where a wide range of opinions could be catered for, the complete anti-thesis to the violent protests of the mob.

Saying that, rules are rules and I think this could speed up Francie Molloy's ascent to speaker, though I wouldn't be surprised if John Dallat or Roy Beggs Jr got the nod instead.

RedCloud

Ermmm that's democracy for you :)

physicist

Ermmm that's democracy for you :)
Oh a cynic would suggest that the Unionist family would actually want him out of the Speaker's chair in a tribally divisive situation and have an extra vote in the Assembly while the Pan-Nationalist front and Alliance party front/alliance loses a vote by taking the speaker's role themselves. Then more marginal votes could be past against any collective action by those three parties.

No one would be that cynically now would they?

Mickeymac

Oh a cynic would suggest that the Unionist family would actually want him out of the Speaker's chair in a tribally divisive situation and have an extra vote in the Assembly while the Pan-Nationalist front and Alliance party front/alliance loses a vote by taking the speaker's role themselves. Then more marginal votes could be past against any collective action by those three parties.

No one would be that cynically now would they?

I would.:D

Sync

Pressure should be there from all sides for him to step down.