• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Welsh to be given equal status, Irish to follow

Glucose

BBC News - Assembly measure gives Welsh status 'equal to English'

Welsh is soon to be given equal status with the English language in Wales.

Irish will inevitably be given similar status in Northern Ireland.

It would be quite difficult to oppose the introduction of a Irish language policy when the precedence has been set by Wales.

You read it first on P.ie.

Cruimh

It would be quite difficult to oppose the introduction of a Irish language policy when the precedence has been set by Wales.

Dream land.

There is nothing about Irish in the Link.

This is legislation being introduced by the Welsh Assembly.

The two situations are not in any way comparable.

antsrathcam

BBC News - Assembly measure gives Welsh status 'equal to English'

Welsh is soon to be given equal status with the English language in Wales.

Why is it inevitable? And what do you mean by a policy? Do you mean precedent? I actually read it first in the source you quoted :rolleyes:

DCon

Welsh is spoken as the day to day language by a vast majority of Welsh people.

Basically, they speak Welsh to each other and English to everyone else.

I wish Ireland was like that.

antsrathcam

1 out of 3.:roll:

Cato

I must say that while I have no ill-will against Irish or Irish speakers, I have no desire to speak it or have it spoken to me. I'm quite content to speak english, being the native language of myself, my family, and my friends as well as the vast majority of people I interact with on a day to day basis.

antsrathcam

I must say that while I have no ill-will against Irish or Irish speakers, I have no desire to speak it or have it spoken to me. I'm quite content to speak english, being the native language of myself, my family, and my friends as well as the vast majority of people I interact with on a day to day basis.
Good for you. The same is true for me in Irish.

What's your point?

Schomberg

What's your point?
That trying to compare the status Irish to Welsh is nonsense.

how many countries in the world have a token "first language" that needs to be translated for the vast majority of the population? :roll:

Schomberg

Cato

What's your point?
Odd that you didn't post that response to DCon's post.

No point at all really, just saying what I feel. As I said I've nothing against Irish or Irish speakers and if they want to talk the language then let them off at it and I wish them every enjoyment in it. I simply have no interest in it. I'm more interested in Latin and French.

Passer-by

So when will Ulster-Scots be raised to equal status with Irish and English in the schools and governmental institutions of (the Republic of) Ireland?

After all, we did recognise it in the Belfast Agreement as part of "the cultural wealth of the island of Ireland".

Glucose

Dream land.

There is nothing about Irish in the Link.

This is legislation being introduced by the Welsh Assembly.

The two situations are not in any way comparable.
I couldn't give a toss if Chinese was introduced in the North.

There's such a thing as courts. Ever heard of them.

There are clearly ppl in the north who are campaigning for a Irish language policy.

If would be very hard to argue against a language act being introduced in one area of the UK and not the other.

Cruimh

I couldn't give a toss if Chinese was introduced in the North.

There's such a thing as courts. Ever heard of them.

There are clearly ppl in the north who are campaigning for a Irish language policy.

If would be very hard to argue against a language act being introduced in one area of the UK and not the other.
Chinese ? What are you on about ? More Flaming ? You specifically raised the language issue in NI.

What percentage of Welsh people are fluent in the language and what percentage of people in NI are fluent in Irish ?

This is upto the NI Assembly to decide in the same way as the Welsh language issue is being decided by the Welsh Assembly.

Schomberg

The OP is about the status of the language in Northern Ireland.

The status of the Irish language in the 26 County state is already defined in article 8 of the Irish Constitution.
apologises, poor joke. any mention of the NI Forum thesedays just seems to bring out the worst in people...

dublincitizen

That trying to compare the status Irish to Welsh is nonsense.

how many countries in the world have a token "first language" that needs to be translated for the vast majority of the population? :roll:
Don't be such a fool. There are people on this island for whom Irish is their first language and those people are entitled to the same rights as English speakers. Its also an indigenous language to Ireland(which English isn't) and an important part of the Irish identity.

So when will Ulster-Scots be raised to equal status with Irish and English in the schools and governmental institutions of (the Republic of) Ireland?

After all, we did recognise it in the Belfast Agreement as part of "the cultural wealth of the island of Ireland".
Ulster-Scots isn't a living language, Irish is. Obviously its a significant part of the island's heritage, particulatly for Unionists, but you can't compare Ulster-Scots to Irish.

Last edited: