• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Wenger to leave Aresnal after 22 years

rainmaker

Administrator
Arsene Wenger is to step down at the end of the season. As a lifelong fan I am in shock and troubled for the future.

Love him or loathe him, there is no doubting his immense contribution to English football. In fact it is true to say that in his 22 years he changed English football completely with the style of football and training he brought to it. He had only signed a new two year extension last summer.

A sad day for Arsenal whether it was his time to step down or not. Despite his recent lack of trophies, he is our most successful manager ever and the only manager to go a whole season unbeaten in EPL history.

He also kept us in the top four and Champions League until recently, and all through a seismic stadium building and move - no mean feat in itself, & thanks in no small part to his degree in economics.

What now for Wenger, and who now for Arsenal. I could see Wenger taking a position on the board and perhaps managing France, maybe even PSG - but who on earth can replace him- Joachim Löw perhaps?

Arsène Wenger to leave Arsenal at end of the season

“After careful consideration and following discussions with the club, I feel it is the right time for me to step down at the end of the season,” said Wenger in a statement posted on Arsenal’s website. “I am grateful for having had the privilege to serve the club for so many memorable years.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/20/arsene-wenger-to-leave-arsenal-at-the-end-of-the-season

Thanks for everything Arsene, and especially that truly magical Invincibles season.

Last edited:

between the bridges

It's going to be a tough call between Big Sam and Moyles....

rainmaker

Administrator
Had to happen at some point....
True, and a part of me knows that. I had even muttered it myself recently. But the thought of him not being there is a strangely insecure one. And who to replace him - I fear a Manchester United/post Ferguson period :-(

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
What glorious news.

Leo IN!

crossman

As I said on another thread : Deserves to be remembered as a man who changed English football. He was the greatest manager Arsenal ever had. His great teams were a pleasure to watch. I could have watched Bergkamp et al for hours on end. His weakness was in relation to choosing and coaching defenders but I think he really didn't feel they were that important.

between the bridges

Joey Barton tis kicking himself for jumping to soon...

gooner

Right decision and he should have done it after one of the FA Cups in recent years.

The empty stadium and fans with even season tickets not bothering to turn up didn't help the situation. The board probably felt right to act upon this.

Hopefully he goes on to win the Europa League. It would be a nice way to end on and for a new manager to start on in the Champions League.

By announcing it now will get the fans on side all the way to May.

Erudite Caveman

Not an Arsenal fan but always admired Wenger. Sorry to see him go. Perfect combination of classiness and pettiness born from competitiveness. The Wenger-Fergie era was a golden age.

I have a feeling the many Wenger-outer Arsenal fans are about to find out that while it might be easy to improve on their wretched season this year, top 4 is going to be a challenge every year.

rainmaker

Administrator
I wonder if 'Arry Redknapp would be interested?
'Arry' can f*** right off :shock2:

I'm guessing Low, perhaps Henry at a push - I really can't think of any quality candidates that are available?

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
There could be a lot of Arsenal Fans coming out of the closet on this thread!

Who would have thunk that rainy would be a gooner? :D
Rainmaker has long been one. I suspect that he became disillusioned with Wenger hanging on longer than he should have.

rainmaker

Administrator
As I said on another thread : Deserves to be remembered as a man who changed English football. He was the greatest manager Arsenal ever had. His great teams were a pleasure to watch. I could have watched Bergkamp et al for hours on end. His weakness was in relation to choosing and coaching defenders but I think he really didn't feel they were that important.
This.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies