We're Europe's No. 1! - for heroin addicts

borntorum

Shocking story in today's Irish Times - Ireland has proportionately more heroin addicts than any other EU country for which figures are available.

The research shows an average of seven people in every 1,000 in the Republic are defined as problem opiate, or heroin, users.

This is the worst record of the 15 European states for which heroin-user data was available. The number of heroin users is more than twice as high as the majority of the other countries.
Why is the problem so big here? Heroin addiction destroys families and communities and is a blight on society. Addicts commit crimes and engage in anti-social behaviour. Obviously our current policies are not working. Should we move towards decriminalisation and aggressive intervention?

Seven in every 1,000 use heroin in Republic - The Irish Times - Thu, Nov 11, 2010

ocoonassa

Should we move towards decriminalisation and aggressive intervention?
Yes, medicalise the problem and thereby detract from its 'glamour', criminalising it hasn't worked and never can.

On another note, Irish soldiers are fighting in Afghanistan and they aren't destroying the poppy fields because they're trying to win hearts and minds. Russia and China are having an absolutely massive problem with heroin addiction because of this. What goes around comes around they say.

Cincinnatus

Website
www.supernatural.ie
Yes, medicalise the problem and thereby detract from its 'glamour', criminalising it hasn't worked and never can.

On another note, Irish soldiers are fighting in Afghanistan and they aren't destroying the poppy fields because they're trying to win hearts and minds. Russia and China are having an absolutely massive problem with heroin addiction because of this. What goes around comes around they say.
Didn't the Taliban leader Mullah Omar shut down the poppy fields & opium production? The invasion brought back the business as usual.

Old Mr Grouser

firefly123

There is nothing glamourous about heroin use. It is squalid disgusting and soul destroying for family members to see what it turns people in to. My view is that there is too much leniency. Life in prison for big dealers. 10 years for small scale dealers. Aggressive boot camp recovery program. Children put in to care until addict is clean for a year( full visitation). This is a growing scourge and we have been far too soft. You can't legalise it as users would come from all over. I really feel for families of users. As for users themselves they should not have gotton themselves in that position but help will be provided.

borntorum

Anyone ever tried it? What's the attraction?
TBH, I don't know why anyone who has their mental faculties would try heroin. Everyone knows that it's really destructive. How ************************ed up do you have to be to think "heroin is what I need in my life"?

But the same statistics are being read diffeently in the UK -UK tops European cocaine league table | Society | The Guardian

:confused:
There's a difference between heroin and cocaine...

ballot stuffer

Are they including previously over the counter codine in this since it too is an opiate and probably the most widely abused.

Tea Party Patriot

Didn't the Taliban leader Mullah Omar shut down the poppy fields & opium production? The invasion brought back the business as usual.
In fairness I don't think a poppy field problem that is rectifable in the long term would justify bringing back terroist camps and fundamentalist muslim rule.

ocoonassa

There is nothing glamourous about heroin use.
Have you ever used it? If so then how did you come to be in that headspace, if you're honest you'll admit it was the 'glamour'. I put the word in inverted commas to stop people like you from coming along and taking it literally.

It is squalid disgusting and soul destroying for family members to see what it turns people in to.
Yeah I was talking about what smack heads think and not what their family members think.

My view is that there is too much leniency. Life in prison for big dealers. 10 years for small scale dealers. Aggressive boot camp recovery program. Children put in to care until addict is clean for a year( full visitation). This is a growing scourge and we have been far too soft. You can't legalise it as users would come from all over.
What do you mean users would come from all over? You know the difference between medicalising and decriminalising the problem and out and out legalisation? Have you seen what is going on in Portugal? They've got rid of your Victorian thinking and the problem is receding.

I really feel for families of users. As for users themselves they should not have gotton themselves in that position but help will be provided.
By throwing them in jail so soon as they start selling the stuff to other addicts.

True Republican

At least we're number one at something, we should inject our way through this recession through gear...lol

jcdf

Green eyed monster

I think we have ten soldiers and they aren't making any aggressive manoevers (more of a 'peacekeeping' posture).

Ten too many for me though.

firefly123

Quote ocanassa Have you ever used it? If so then how did you come to be in that headspace, if you're honest you'll admit it was the 'glamour'. I put the word in inverted commas to stop people like you from coming along and taking it literally. End quote

I have never used it. I do work as a firefighter paramedic in Dublin and a large volume of our calls are related to heroin users either through overdose or assault. I have seen conditions they shoot up in and the way their children are treated. I have resuscitated many of them and am neither oblivious or uncaring to their plight. I do not accept there is ANY glamour to heroin. I understand what making this medically legal means and what decriminalising means.

flipflop

This is Ireland though, so unless we actually see the problem, or it affects us or someone we know, then we don't need to worry about it.

Waiting lists outside Dublin for heroin addiction treatment are the highest in Europe, at up to two years
That quote from the article is quite worrying. We have serious problems at the moment and it looks like it will continue to get worse.

ocoonassa

I do not accept there is ANY glamour to heroin
"Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a f*cking big television, Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed- interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of f*cking fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing sprit- crushing game shows, stuffing f*cking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing you last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, f*cked-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who need reasons when you've got heroin?"

Whoomp there it is!

Squire Allworthy

Peer pressure and impressionable people on one hand and those who want to sell the poison on the other.

Question should be what has worked elsewhere. Have other countries reduced this scourge and how did they do it?

New Threads

Most Replies