• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

We're no longer beating cancer

Houyhnhnm

The war on cancer, like its sister metaphor-wars on drugs and poverty, is no longer being won.

Targeted drugs, which it was hoped would be hugely successful by being tailored to each patient's genetic make-up - so-called molecular medicine - have only had limited success. On average these new treatments have typically only extended life for a number of months as the cancers rapidly develop resistance to these new treatments:

Doctors reported apparently miraculous results from the use of the BRAF-inhibitor vemurafenib in advanced malignant melanoma, a usually fatal form of skin cancer. Within two weeks, the tumours had melted away.

"But six months later, [the cancer] is back with a vengeance," he said.

Other drugs working in a similar way – including erlotinib (Tarceva) for a form of lung cancer, bevacizumab (Avastin) for breast, colorectal and other cancers, and sunitinib (Sutent) for renal cell carcinoma and gastrointestinal sarcoma – have also not done so well, said Hanahan. Resistance to the drugs builds up, sometimes very quickly.
More worryingly, the cost of such treatments is so prohibitive as to likely prevent widespread access to the drugs on patients relying on taxpayer-funded drug payment schemes. Vemurafenib treatment costs well in excess of €100,000 annually. Even if there weren't a depression, no amount of pressure from the likes of the Liveline mob would ensure the health service could provide access to such high-tech drugs for every patient.

And there doesn't seem to be any big new hope for a cure outside molecular medicine:

"Decades ago, genuine breakthrough drugs were discovered which continue to have a huge impact on the disease," however "the excitement generated by targeted drugs, which interfere with specific molecules involved in tumour growth and suppression, has been short-lived."

"'If the question was whether the world was winning the war on cancer,' said Douglas Hanahan of the Swiss Institute for Experimental Cancer Research, who outlined the latest state of drug research, 'in general, for most forms of human cancer, the answer is clearly no.'"
The experts stress that the best hope we have of tackling the disease is prevention, not cures: Cancer fight stalls amid push for profits, doctors say | Society | The Guardian

gloria

I might have cancer now, I might have had cancer previously. I do not know because I never go to the doctor.
I feel perfectly fine.
My friend has been freaked out the last week because she went for a mammogram and she was called up immediately for a further check up.. turned out to be nothing.
I started having the summonses to go for mammograms and smear tests when I turned 45.
I ignored them all and they became quite persistent and aggressive until about a year ago and then the letters stopped coming.
I think this is a total waste of resources from the HSE demanding that a perfectly healthy woman, who has never complained before go for un-necessary tests for no reason.

Ireniall

I might have cancer now, I might have had cancer previously. I do not know because I never go to the doctor.
I feel perfectly fine.
My friend has been freaked out the last week because she went for a mammogram and she was called up immediately for a further check up.. turned out to be nothing.
I started having the summonses to go for mammograms and smear tests when I turned 45.
I ignored them all and they became quite persistent and aggressive until about a year ago and then the letters stopped coming.
I think this is a total waste of resources from the HSE demanding that a perfectly healthy woman, who has never complained before go for un-necessary tests for no reason.
You're probably right but you might be wrong and you might be missing the chance to catch it early-I think you should go in and get checked.

Dan_Murphy

I feel perfectly fine.
I'm not a doctor, but I am pretty sure people don't beat cancer on their own. The reason the encourage screenings is probably because an ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure, or however that saying goes.

gloria

I'm not a doctor, but I am pretty sure people don't beat cancer on their own. The reason the encourage screenings is probably because an ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure, or however that saying goes.
I'm not going to any doctor unless I'm sick!
Like very sick!!

Dan_Murphy

I'm not going to any doctor unless I'm sick!
Like very sick!!
Visited the doctor 2 months ago, last time I did was ten years previously! Believe me I know what you mean, but the HSE has their heart in the right place. :)

libertarian-right

On prevention - I would recommend people use extra virgin olive oil for cooking and also an olive oil spread instead of using normal butter. Research being conducted currently on a certain protein in olive oil that kills off certain cancers (This protein is also found in breast milk).

Good reports on the usual suspects - Broccoli is at the top, sulforaphane being one of the componds touted as having anti-cancer properties. Obviously cabbage/brussels sprouts/garlic/turmeric/green tea/flaxseed/salmon/berries/tomatoes are on the list also so hopefully there is something there people can include into their diet.

gloria

Visited the doctor 2 months ago, last time I did was ten years previously! Believe me I know what you mean, but the HSE has their heart in the right place. :)
yeah, but why are they wasting their time on the people who are well and healthy like me?
Why are the HSE badgering me to go for tests when I am perfectly fine?
Surely there are plenty of sick people out there who need treatment...
I understand the whole preventative thing but it is surely out of proportion!

Kai123

You're probably right but you might be wrong and you might be missing the chance to catch it early-I think you should go in and get checked.
"My uncle had this big huge thing growing on his neck, and fine. Then he goes to the doctor, Cancer. bing bang boom,hair out Hamburger Time".

Al Gebra

yeah, but why are they wasting their time on the people who are well and healthy like me?
Why are the HSE badgering me to go for tests when I am perfectly fine?
Surely there are plenty of sick people out there who need treatment...
I understand the whole preventative thing but it is surely out of proportion!
It depends on how you define sick.
Most cancers are asymptomatic until they have metastasised and when they have mestastasised treatment options become very limited.

H

Henry Thomas

Hopefully young women will take heed of the findings on giving up
smoking before age 30.

All ages and both sexes, for that matter.

A lot of premature deaths could be prevented.

Indeed, Prevention and Education should be ramped up considerably.

Brera

On prevention - I would recommend people use extra virgin olive oil for cooking and also an olive oil spread instead of using normal butter. Research being conducted currently on a certain protein in olive oil that kills off certain cancers (This protein is also found in breast milk).

Good reports on the usual suspects - Broccoli is at the top, sulforaphane being one of the componds touted as having anti-cancer properties. Obviously cabbage/brussels sprouts/garlic/turmeric/green tea/flaxseed/salmon/berries/tomatoes are on the list also so hopefully there is something there people can include into their diet.
Olive oil is definitely something that people should be using as a substitute to butter.

I'm pretty sure most diseases could be prevented if people ate a proper diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables.

Not the highly processed/fast food/ready meal diets that people have be accustomed to today

gloria

I know that I am going to die one day.
Just like everybody else.
I do not want interventions from the HSE to keep me alive longer than I am meant to be alive.
It is up to me and nature as to how long I live.
I have decided already that I will not be prolonged by medication.
Even if I get cancer I would refuse treatment.
I have not even had a paracetamol since 1999 (the last century)
I do eat nice food, and believe in vit D.
good excuse for sun holidays, and failing that a few sessions on the sun bed!!!

Al Gebra

I know that I am going to die one day.
Just like everybody else.
I do not want interventions from the HSE to keep me alive longer than I am meant to be alive.
It is up to me and nature as to how long I live.
I have decided already that I will not be prolonged by medication.
Even if I get cancer I would refuse treatment.
I have not even had a paracetamol since 1999 (the last century)
I do eat nice food, and believe in vit D.
good excuse for sun holidays, and failing that a few sessions on the sun bed!!!
Why eschew all the research (of course it is your prerogative)?
They may find precancerous cells that could be treated very easily before they develop into something more serious.
We are part of nature and so is medicine.
Besides, we like having you around!

gloria

Why eschew all the research (of course it is your prerogative)?
They may find precancerous cells that could be treated very easily before they develop into something more serious.
We are part of nature and so is medicine.
Besides, we like having you around!
I have watched my friends freaking out before these checkouts. The stress is something else!
They have told me whats involved.. squashing the breast between radioactive plates.

This breast cancer disease is a new phenomenon, I'm not saying that it didn't exist before but now due to mass testing there is more and more of it.
I have met 18 year olds who are being treated for it and I call foul!!
I have also met 18 year olds who are being treated for cervical cancer (thanks to jade Goody) and again I call foul!!

Perhaps these cancers happen occasionally in young women, but give us a break..
I do not see why a whole healthy population of women need to be tested again and again for a freak chance of developing a disease.

gloria

Olive oil is definitely something that people should be using as a substitute to butter.

I'm pretty sure most diseases could be prevented if people ate a proper diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables.

Not the highly processed/fast food/ready meal diets that people have be accustomed to today
You should not underestimate butter! it is a real food, and as long as the beast is fed on grass it is an excellent source of good fat, high in vit D.
You have been lied to about butter

gloria

Getting back to the topic, 'we are no longer beating cancer' I'm just wondering did we ever and will we ever?
It's kind of like saying 'we are no longer beating death'

gloria

Given what I have seen two family members and two close friends go through in the past 5 years alone, I understand your position only too well, and I somewhat admire you.
How I wish (two of them in particular) had foregone the horrendous treatment and instead used that time to try and enjoy what time they had left. Instead, they were sick as dogs for a lot of the time and ended up dying quite quickly anyways. I know this isn't the case for everyone, I have another family member who is now nearly twenty years into her recovery from breast cancer, but she is the sole exception to those I have seen die of cancer recently.
what?? are you serious?
Look, I am fit and healthy. It is just a decision that I have made after seeing people close to me being 'treated' for diseases!
I am serious about this, I want to 'fall' off a cliff when the time comes for me.. it will come one day and my kids know this!
Alternatively, if that option is not available, I might go to a doctor and take prescribed drugs for non medicinal purposes!!

gloria

Umm, yes, I was serious in saying I understood your position on not wanting to get tested. What did you think I meant?
I know you are healthy at present.
Sorry Alara, misread. Just sounded too familiar!