• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Were the Irish Republican Army terrorists or patriots?

Ruff says Flaherty

If you're fighting in your own land against an invader can you really be a 'terrorist". If Ireland was invaded again I suspect that most most of us would be inclined toward acts of resistance that would include armed attacks on the invaders. Would we be 'terrorists' or patriots?

neiphin

popcorn time

eoghanacht

Which IRA?

The good one that rid 2/3 of the country through the letter writing campaign of course not the bad one that shot informers and colluders.

off with their heads

what would we attack these invaders with shotguns? petrol bombs? even then would the quislings/collaborators be shouting no more not in my name.........ect ect:confused:

between the bridges

All the versions of the IRA had one thing in common...they are all cowardly murderers...

ruserious

All the versions of the IRA had one thing in common...they are all cowardly murderers...
Loyalists likewise. But I think that the old IRA had a right under the social contract to revolt against the state. Perhaps the PIRA in the beginning but soon twarted that right. The killing of civilians in any circumstance brings in the terrorist label.

between the bridges

Loyalists likewise. But I think that the old IRA had a right under the social contract to revolt against the state. Perhaps the PIRA in the beginning but soon twarted that right. The killing of civilians in any circumstance brings in the terrorist label.
and of course you extend the same principle to the old UVF...

picador

Really - I don't hear the media using it in relation to western forces in Iraq, Afghanistan or wherever they happen to be invading?

eoghanacht

Compared to the British generals that ordered hundreds of thousands of young lads to run at german machine guns or who firebombed dresden or who burnt Cork city centre or or or...........ad on and on

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
If you're fighting in your own land against an invader can you really be a 'terrorist". If Ireland was invaded again I suspect that most most of us would be inclined toward acts of resistance that would include armed attacks on the invaders. Would we be 'terrorists' or patriots?
And how long is a length of string ? To the Zoo ASAP.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies