West Tyrone by-election - a novel approach to electioneering.

raetsel

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2018/04/26/news/man-challenged-near-co-tyrone-church-hours-before-graffiti-discovered-1314248/

This is new. A putative supporter has vandalised a Catholic church in Carrickmore with grafitti saying "ONLY DUP SPEAKS FOR IRISH UNBORN TO SPEAK IRISH AND PLAY GAA VOTE DUP".
As charm offensives go, it's hardly the most effective way of persuading even socially conservative voters in the village to support Tom Buchanan, but then that was always highly unlikely to be the real motive anyway. Far more likely it was one rather demented individual's idea of a taunt aimed at the SF voters in Carrickmore. We have one or two on this very forum who behave in very similar ways. :)
However, as there doesn't seem to be a thread yet of the forthcoming by-election, it is probably as good a pretext for getting the ball rolling as any other, considering the general lack of interest so far.
Tom Buchanan seems to think that the abortion issue will hit Sinn Fein on this occasion and will deliver an increased share of the vote. I think that while his vote should be up as a consequence of a 'bread backlash", he's deluded if he genuinely believes he'll win very many Catholic votes. Though I'd guess that SF will also leak votes this time around, considering their historic outright majority in 2017.
The only real question is therefore how well Sinn Fein's vote will hold up, and how much harm has been done to their vote as a result of the two central issues which the DUP are focussing on.

theloner

Nice handwriting.

Although our very own W*nksy obviously believes the dots in abbreviations serve to separate the big letters. Pretty cute.

Last edited:

michael-mcivor

No anti-apportion group is standing in this election and no dissident group is standing- they have quit- and there is no joint Unionist standing- to much infighting-

Sinn Fein will win- it's just a matter of who many thousands they will win by-

michael-mcivor

The graffiti writer was challenged by locals and he made a run for it but he dropped leaflets from an Orange church- he is known anyway-

former wesleyan

The graffiti writer was challenged by locals and he made a run for it but he dropped leaflets from an Orange church- he is known anyway-
Were the locals traumatised like the ones in South Armagh ?

death or glory

By golly, you are so much full of crap.
I hope REF has an alibi, it sounds like something a radical Tea-egg like him would do.

vivabrigada

By golly, you are so much full of crap.
I hope REF has an alibi, it sounds like something a radical Tea-egg like him would do.
I heard he was challenged by local people and ran away dropping leaflets from a fundy church.
Are you saying this isnt the case?

Mickeymac

The only thing I have a problem with regarding this OP is the following comments contained therein..........

The only real question is therefore how well Sinn Fein's vote will hold up, and how much harm has been done to their vote as a result of the two central issues which the DUP are focussing on.

IMO Barry should never have given up his parliamentary seat, which created the by election in the first place and to be fair, I don't think voting patterns in this election are that big an issue given the overall political shambles which presently exist in NE Ireland.

raetsel

The only thing I have a problem with regarding this OP is the following comments contained therein..........

IMO Barry should never have given up his parliamentary seat, which created the by election in the first place and to be fair, I don't think voting patterns in this election are that big an issue given the overall political shambles which presently exist in NE Ireland.
The abortion issue will undoubtedly have some impact particularly in keeping some voters at home, rather than voting for any of the alternatives. That will be interesting and may be at least a pointer to how much of a threat it may be to them in FST in the future. Some anti abortion voters have long memories.
I don't think the "bread" controvery will have any effect worth talking about. The current candidate is only 26 years old and trying to saddle her with some sort of responsibility for something that happened 26 years before her birth will be seen for what it is - the usual opportunist electioneering which is a lot easier than actually talking about real issues.

Mickeymac

The abortion issue will undoubtedly have some impact particularly in keeping some voters at home, rather than voting for any of the alternatives. That will be interesting and may be at least a pointer to how much of a threat it may be to them in FST in the future. Some anti abortion voters have long memories.
I don't think the "bread" controvery will have any effect worth talking about. The current candidate is only 26 years old and trying to saddle her with some sort of responsibility for something that happened 26 years before her birth will be seen for what it is - the usual opportunist electioneering which is a lot easier than actually talking about real issues.

Not a big event sir and will gather little interest from big time media, safe SF seat forever IMO and the FST seat is probably in that same bracket.

cropbeye

If any interesting candidate was to have emerged

they would have done so by now. Snooze fest.

vinoboy

I would think this is the work of AOH types who are now led by RC fundy .

Highly unlikely to be the work of DUP activists/supporters as no track record of such things.
There seems to be a growing anti SF feeling about abortion in RC community .

New Threads

Most Replies